aztec7fan

Register Your Tires

This was mentioned on another thread about tires, but the info was kind of buried.  When you purchase new tires, it's helpful to register your tires in case of a recall.  Here is a link for the registration:

https://www.tireregistration.com

And here is a more detailed description of why:

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2014/12/tire-recalls-and-registration.html?m=1

Hope this is helpful.

Chris G.

F3508s

To my knowledge, I've never registered a tire. 

My questions are: Did Firestone notify all the vehicle owners of their defective tires before or after all the lawsuits? When I purchase a used vehicle, were those tires registered? Does the manufacturer register every tire they install and who the owner will be? Did Newmar register my tires on my motorhome? Am I legally responsible to make sure my tires are registered on a vehicle I'm selling? If the selling tire distributor registers a tire he sells me and then I in turn sell my vehicle, am I required to notify the dealer I no longer own the tire? Of the thousands of used vehicles bought and sold monthly, how are those tire registrations handled? To the FMCA member who has been trying to register new tires for months, were your existing tires registered? Here is one many RVers are familiar with, when did you receive notice your Norcold could catch fire and kill you? We had to call Norcold if our unit serial numbers fell within the range of problem products. My Norcold was on the recall and had never been registered yet I received the magical black box. 

From what I've seen, after there have been multiple failures of a product and its been blasted by the news media for months and the class action lawsuits have been filed, the tire manufacturer may or may not notify the consumer. Of course when they notify you they are admitting there is a problem so most likely they will never notify anyone and allow the class action attorneys to make millions while the consumers are rewarded with a check for $1.18.

I think I'll use my time being more concerned if they really used pink air in my tires.

"I think I'll use my time being more concerned if they really used pink air in my tires." 

I hate to tell you but Pink was recalled and the only official color is Green.:o

Bill

Actually the tires are filled with smoke. Trust me on this. If you see the smoke escaping the tire will have to be sent back to China to get the smoke repacked into it.

Smoke is gray or black, take your pick.

Never let the smoke escape from anything mechanical or electrical.  It will be on a slow boat to be fixed....er repacked.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:18 AM, elkhartjim said:

To my knowledge, I've never registered a tire. 

My questions are: Did Firestone notify all the vehicle owners of their defective tires before or after all the lawsuits? When I purchase a used vehicle, were those tires registered? Does the manufacturer register every tire they install and who the owner will be? Did Newmar register my tires on my motorhome? Am I legally responsible to make sure my tires are registered on a vehicle I'm selling? If the selling tire distributor registers a tire he sells me and then I in turn sell my vehicle, am I required to notify the dealer I no longer own the tire? Of the thousands of used vehicles bought and sold monthly, how are those tire registrations handled? To the FMCA member who has been trying to register new tires for months, were your existing tires registered? Here is one many RVers are familiar with, when did you receive notice your Norcold could catch fire and kill you? We had to call Norcold if our unit serial numbers fell within the range of problem products. My Norcold was on the recall and had never been registered yet I received the magical black box. 

From what I've seen, after there have been multiple failures of a product and its been blasted by the news media for months and the class action lawsuits have been filed, the tire manufacturer may or may not notify the consumer. Of course when they notify you they are admitting there is a problem so most likely they will never notify anyone and allow the class action attorneys to make millions while the consumers are rewarded with a check for $1.18.

I think I'll use my time being more concerned if they really used pink air in my tires.

I can't address the Firestone situation other than I recall seeing full-page newspaper advertisements on the recall. Tire registration was not mandatory back in  2000 when the Firestone recall took place. New laws were passed in Dec 2015 making registration mandatory for tires but we all can get our tires registered if we are willing to make a little effort.

The law, as I understand it is aimed at new tire sales so when you sell or buy a used vehicle with used tires there is no requirement. Newmar, as a vehicle manufacturer is supposed to have registered your tires when the coach was first sold.  Recall notices sent to the original owners many times ask for the name of the current owner if the vehicle has been sold.

RE Norcold recall. Refrigerators are not required to be registered so that example doesn't apply. Also, fire extinguishers are not required to be registered so the current Kidde extinguisher recall is not covered. However, your vehicle was registered with your state and the VIN is part of that registration. The RV company apparently had records of vehicle VIN and which contained the refrigerator so that is probably how you were identified after the RV company and Norcold went to the significant expense and effort to match vehicle registrations with VIN number list.

For tire recalls, if you have a tire so covered and if you know about the recall (information available on the NHTSA website) you would not get a check for $1.18 but would in all probability receive new tires when you returned the recalled tires.

Tires are a special category and to my knowledge are the only component that is to be registered. The problem is that many dealers do not bother and many owners also don't seem to know or care about making the effort to fill out the form and mail it in. Owners are however more than happy to complain even if they can't be bothered to report tire failures to NHTSA.

Thanks for responding. So there is a law that costs the manufacturer, the distributor, the dealer and the consumer time and in most cases money to abide by and most don't.  Its most likely not enforced because its logistically impossible to enforce. Another bureaucratic boondoggle.  

It would be much less expensive to take out full page ads than keeping track of millions of individual names.