Haidenger

Any Canadian Benefits?

Are there any benefits for Canadian Members?

This is the question I am asking myself when pondering if I should renew my FMCA membership this year. Frankly, I am not aware of any benefits for Canadian motorcoach owners other than those potentially enjoyed while in the US. And now, with FMCA broadening its scope to accept non-motorized RVs I can see their efforts being directed primarily toward this new revenue source, making it unlikely that Canadian motorcoach owners will see benefit improvements in the foreseeable future.

This is not a post meant to complain as I am sincere in trying to find a valid reason to continue our membership.

• If I wish to participate in the tire discounts I must travel to the US as that program is not available in Canada.
  • The large international rallies all appear to be primarily in the central or eastern US and in the spring or summer when Canadian snowbirds have to return home to comply with the US limit visitation of 182 days per year.
  • Insurance discounts? Again, available in the US only.

Please, if I am missing any benefits for Canadian members, let me know.

Haidenger.

Interesting!  In all my years as a member of FMCA, I never gave it a thought.  I just presumed that what I got (not much), Canada got, in Canada! Have you contacted and asked FMCA Member Services?

Thank you for the Post.

Carl C.

Good Morning Haidenger!

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been meandering my way back to Cincinnati this week after our convention in Perry!

We have quite a few benefits our Canadian members are able to take advantage of!  At the top of the list is our Roadside Rescue offer (only $69 a year and you can lock that rate in for 3 years!) and our FMCAssit program - included with your membership!  You also receive FMC Magazine monthly - available in print and digital form.

Not to mention all the DISCOUNTS at your disposal, such as: special rates on caravans with Fantasy Tours, 2 free nights at our Round Bottom campground (only $20 per night after that!), discounts on Pet Insurance and through many of our FMCA Commercial Members.  We've also negotiated special rates for ALL our members with partners like KOA, UPS, Mail Forwarding, Staples, Passport America, and car rentals through Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, and National.  You can also  take advantage of our Mobile App (Android available now and iPhone coming soon!) and the Advocacy work we do in the RV industry.

One of the big tasks assigned to me has been trying to find MORE benefits our Canadian members can take advantage of and we're working hard every day to find those.  I've found the best way to find more is to reach out and ask, so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Dan Ball,

Director of Membership & Marketing

Dan, I for one would really like to see the Michelin tire discount available to Canadian members. This would be next on my wish list.

Thanks

Haidenger, I can't speak to the 182 day limit but there is a International Rally in Wyoming this July. That is hardly the East or Central.

FMCA also does Redmond, OR.  That's one State down from BC. 

However, I do understand the 182 day law.  So, you can be here 170 days, go home and return later for the other 12 days...or leave BC 2 weeks later in fall.  I have friends in Norway that fly to Florida in early Nov,  fly home for Christmas/new year and return to FL., then take the relocation cruise to Denmark in late April.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, IanBullock said:

Dan, I for one would really like to see the Michelin tire discount available to Canadian members. This would be next on my wish list.

Thanks

Any update on this request?

Ian.

Scroll up and call Dan Ball at 800-543-3622 Customer Services!  I have not heard of anything.

Carl C.

IanBullock,

I have placed multiple calls and sent multiple emails to all my contacts at Michelin trying to break through, but so far no luck.  But I can assure you it is not for lack of effort.

And that goes beyond just a Michelin discount - we are always trying to add more for our Canadian members.  Again, it's not for lack of effort, but dealing with the laws and regulations of another country makes this quite difficult at times.

If you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Thank you for your efforts.  Having spent many of my working years in the procurement field, I can appreciate how difficult it is to pull together a truly North American deal. Most companies have an independent Canadian entity that US agreements do not extend to.

its been my experience that the only way to get the Canadian entity to honor the agreement is to get the US entity to pressure them in to it.  This generally can only be accomplished thru the most Senior Mgmt. channels, i.e. the US President calls the Canadian President.  

Not sure if this is the case at Michelin or if you have already tried this.. if not, if you could make it important to Michelin Senior Mgmt., you might get some traction..

Ian

Dan.

Since we now have a deal with Continental, would it be easier to get them lined up in Canada....Would think they are already there.  That might peak Michelins interest ?

It may have something to do with the value of the dollar US vs Canada. But you are correct, if Continental has a program with FMCA in Canada Michelin is sure to follow or may want to be there before if they get wind of Continental going that way.

Herman

The only fly in the ointment, would be numbers...there are aproxmentaly 77,000 FMCA members, what % live in Canada?  What % of Canadians winter in lower 48 that are FMCA members?  Numbers game! :) 

Herman, you're right, the difference in the dollar would impact the Canadian selling prices.  Whether Continental or Michelin, would call for specific Cdn prices reflective of a similar FMCA discount as in the US.  I would not expect the US price in Canada unless our dollar climbs back to par...(not expecting that anytime soon...)

Carl also makes a valid point.  I expect this has been a factor all along which is why we need FMCA to leverage the US membership numbers in the negotiation.  

I looked at the Michelin / Continental pricing thru FMCA , and after the us$ and duty and tax plus the us tax , it is cheaper to buy them in Canada at full pop , I did purchase Bridgestone 283A for a decent price , gives us 5 years until I need another set , ...the phone deal does not work in Canada  ,  and I have not found any campground in Canada that offers a discount for camping , most have not even heard of FMCA ,.... and a friend has a towing company , and would prefer to take AMA (associated with AAA) for tow , as he gets paid 3x faster , ….when we travel in the USA for winter we can access more perks , but camping discounts have not been better than what we already have , so no benefit so far , did attend the rally in Indio this year and had a great time , met lots of people , and enjoyed the show

The 182 day cut for us allowed in the USA is misleading , as it is a formula of 1/ 3 of the days from last year ,  and 1/6 0f the days from the year before , and that total is subtracted from the total of 182 days , leaving about 120 days (4 months) when we have about 6-7 months of winter , we have to leave winterized and winterize before we return , either way we take our MH from Alberta to B.C. in late September to beat the chain up over mountain passes , and store in Vancouver until we are ready to leave . We are leaving in February this winter and returning in May , and hope to find a rally between Texas and Washington in that time period

Bev and Allen Cunningham  F475668 , 1999 American Coach Tradition 40TVS  , Cummins 8.3

Alberta , Canada

Canadian no tire  deals no roadside assistance , if you have a Motorhome it’s 159.00$ then add  us funds etc. Just a little out of touch.

Cheapest is KOA  member ship 1year member 44.00$ usd and roadside assistance 99.00. Motorhome etc

Escapee 39.00$ +usd  roadassistance 99.00$+usd Motorhome etc.

ok FMCA  has medial assistance.

I am paid up till 2022 membership  FMCA

Good Sam member till 2022  roadside assistance have been paying 149.00 for Motorhome each year?

so have a big  choice to make. Roadside Assistance due in July 31/2020 with good Sam

Don

Do you just travel in Canada or do you come to the lower 48?

Would help to know what kind of RV you have & make, model, year!

We have 2013 Georgetown 335 Motorhome towing  Ford Focus.

We have been going to Florida for 6 weeks when health permits.

But these times are bringing that trip to an end the costs are getting over priced.

Probably travel in Canada it’s a big country and not that crowded.

Don

Yep, we found that out last summer...traveled to all the Maritimes, including Newfoundland/Labrador!  All was incredibly beautiful, and un crowded. 

Since you will stay in Canada, I would go with KOA!  If or when you need new tires, jump the boarder!

Carl, crossing into the US for tires may be OK. However since they will have a Canadian address and so forth I wonder if the Michelin, Continental or Hankook programs would work. I have no idea.  Anyone know if those program will work in the US for Canadian Citizen?

Herman

Any update on this topic?  With the USA land border still closed for the 2nd season in a row- I joined this spring in anticipation of it reopening- Canada has opened theirs but the USA still has not reciprocated- not FMCA issue- but again- if things don't open my membership will have been for nothing as I have not been able to benefit from any of the options in Canada yet :(