rfsod48

Ramps for maintence

When making ramps for maintence do they need to be wide enough for both wheels of the dual tire to sit on them? I assume they should be, so what do you make them out of? Double 2X12?

13 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

When making ramps for maintence do they need to be wide enough for both wheels of the dual tire to sit on them? I assume they should be, so what do you make them out of? Double 2X12?

Why do you need ramps?

Bill

I am thinking about doing the transmission fluid change, just to get coach higher for my old body.

What chassis?  That will tell us how much clearance you need.

But, to answer your question,  yes, if driving the duals up on boards, all tires need to be supported.

If you have an air suspension, it's also critical that you block the body to the chassis to be sure that the thing can't fall on you in the event there is a failure while you're under the coach. Not sure if it's necessary on your chassis or not, but it's something you should check before getting underneath.

I am on the FL XC chassis. My personal chassis is 6’3” and 210#:D  Not sure I will do this but need ramps if I do. Shops want about $100 plus material.

$100 for labor isn't too bad.  But, changing fluid (Transynd) and filters (filter kit from Allison) is not difficult.  And most owners will do a better job than most techs.  Owners will carefully clean the bottom of the transmission to keep dirt out.  They will use an inch-lb torque wrench to tighten filter covers and insure that they don't get dirt in when adding new fluid.

All you need to buy (for an Allison 3000 anyway-- you don't say what transmission you have ) is a 5 gallon pail of Transynd (you will use all but 1 quart) and the filter kit.  Both from any Allison dealer for your transmission serial number.

I found 4 used railroad ties that are in good condition, place 2 side by side and used some aluminum strap to tie them together for both sets of duals, almost forgot, used a chain saw to taper the ends before joining them. Two side by side is plenty wide enough for the duals to rest on. Works great for me and probably will be good for the rest of my life.

I had plenty of room under my Bounder to do the transmission oil change. If you want more you don't need ramps just blocks. Put 2 under the jacks and raise the coach then place  boards under the tires and let the jacks back down if you want to. I fit under the coach with the bags down and jacks up so I am not to worried about geting caught if the jacks lost preshure.

6'2 240# so you have more clearance than I do. :P

Use a plastic scraper to remove any gaskets that stick. It is important to use the plastic scraper so you don't scratch the mating surface as it will cause a leak path. The outher thing is be careful with the torque. That is a lot of torque for that size fastener in aluminum. I double checked the speck because it is so hi. You are ok because the amount of threads is much more than a regular type of installation. Use the torque numbers in the filter kit instructions, but carefully. I would do it in at least 3 steps. 

You might like this video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD8ey8mUo8

Bill

I used some 4 x 6 timbers I had ( they were door headers from construction )  cut them at an angle with a chainsaw .  Laid two of them side by side and screwed some 2 x6s  to keep them together and add some more height.  The whole arrangement is about 3 ft long, enough to drive up, block the wheels.  You can probably find scraps at construction jobs,  sometimes they use even larger 6 x 12 timbers.  Railroad ties work also.

Roland, as your friend, you don't need to be doing this!  Let the younger 5' 8", 160# do it.  I don't care what WBill wrote, he's not doing it again, anytime soon, if ever!  With age, you have got to know your limitations!  Besides, you have to very important people in your life, that would have to fend for themselves, if things went bad....just to save $100?  :o

I agree! I took my coach to the FL dealer in Kalamazoo yesterday for full service on chassis, engine, transmission and generator. Not my cup of tea to do my own maintence. You really didn’t mean I am getting old did you Carl!:P