RelationshipDoc

New or just keep what I have?

We have a Alfa SeeYa 2004 that we love. Right now it's in good shape - I have kept up with the maintenance and I have done several renovations (e.g., replaced the old frig with a residential frig, replaced the inverter/converter, etc.). However, it is 14 years old (well, actually, 15 - it came off the factory assembly line August 2003). Of course, Alfa is no longer in business, and many of the components (e.g., the Generac generator) are no longer made. I'm 70 years old, but I expect to motorhome at least 10 more years, and hopefully longer than that. So, my question is, do I just keep my Alfa and continue to keep it up, or do I try to go with something new? What is your experience in keeping older motorhomes running - getting parts, getting people to work on them, etc.? Obviously, this one is almost paid for, while if I buy new I would be going in debt again big time. I get that piece. It is the other, the more practical side, of keeping something 14 years old, no matter how well maintained, properly running. I'll appreciate your thoughts.

Whether its old or new there is always something that needs fixing.  Items that are no longer made can be replaced by newer models.  I have a 20 year old coach and have up dated a number of items such as LED tvs, 3000 watt inverter, 6 AGM batteries, 800 watts solar, residential fridge,  full body paint, etc. I have owned this coach for just over 2 years.  I am coming onto 78 years old next month and when I was 30 I promised myself to pay cash for all my toys, boats, motorhomes, etc.

If the unit is adequate size and in good condition, 10 more years isn't really that long at our age. If you are happy with what you have, and are only thinking about upgrading appliances, then if it were me, I would work toward paying it off and enjoying the upgrades one at a time.

I'm probably not the best to give you an unbiased opinion, given that we drive around the country in a 44-year-old coach. Of course, the fact that we drive around the country in a 44-year-old coach is also my answer.

As many times as I've complained, belly ached, cursed, and otherwise expressed my frustration at having to fix things as they break on our coach, I'm still constantly amazed at how many more problems some people seem to have with relatively new (or even brand new) coaches and RVs. We've yet to run into a situation where parts could not be found and/or a suitable replacement for the device/appliance/equipment was not made.

In my view, you'd be simply trading in a set of known issues for a set of unknown ones if you got a new rig. However, if the rig you have now is not meeting your needs and you can swing a new one financially, then upgrading becomes a more attractive option.

We bought our very low mileage Phaeton 2003 a few months before my 70th birthday (2014). Of course, I do the driving, and I am no longer feeling all that permanent at soon to be 74. Recommend that you keep what you have unless you are loaded with dough.🙄

If you even say you are thinking about another coach...give up...you'll end up with another coach.  BTDT, you've been bitten by the bug, go find that perfect coach!

I too have an old coach 1999 and would not trade for a new one reading what is published here. Problems occur no matter what the year. You know what yours are, why go for another so you have more experience and spend more money. I agree with Desertdeals on the pay cash perspective, no debt and what I do have I would like to spend on the travel, sites and meeting new people. You will spend a lot less making upgrades and paying it off.

Ditto, on both DD69 & Bill E.  

I bought a new 2011 Allegro Bus & paid cash.  Turned out to be a POS.  In 2013, I bought the 2010, American Coach 45 foot Tradition, that I have now!  Yes, it's cost $$$ to maintain!  I have looked at a lot of DP's over the past 5 years and then I ask myself, If you buy it, you'll have new Gremlins, or you can keep the ones you know?  At  75, I'm keeping what I have!

FIVE.   From 24 years old to 65, I did what you said.  That's why, I have had 17 class A's....but then, you cross the longevity threshold & become smarter!  There is still a lot of World out there and a RV don't do well on the Oceans! :P:D