Sign in to follow this  
kwl0525

Single or Tandem axles - is one more stable?

All things being equal (i.e. weight distributing hitch, anti-sway bar, etc), when towing is a tandem axle trailer more 'stable' to tow than a single axle trailer? 

Whether the trailer has 1 2 or 3 axles is determined by the weight.  A triple axle trailer is more stable because there is more rubber on the road but it is also a lot heavier.

If trailer is built correctly, then it should not make a difference for stability purposes. Trailer axels are designed for maximum weight each axel and as long as the carried weight is correct for the axel, tires aired as they should be, and the load is balanced correctly then either should be ok. Poorly built trailers, overweight, or incorrectly loaded will not pull well with either one. A tandem axel trailer is usually a little more forgiving in an incorrect load, but there is no substitute for doing things correctly in the first place.

Tandems are generally more stable because there are four wheels on the ground rather than two.  One of the greatest weaknesses of towed trailers are the cheap Chinese tires the manufacturers like to use.  We found out the hard way with a 38' 5th wheel.

I have a few friends that haul 5'rs and all off them tell the dealer, to change the tires to their favorite brand, before they take delivery! :D  After that, it's like Kay said.  We do the same, or should, on our coaches! :rolleyes:

I have heard standard equipment tires on travel or fifth wheel trailers referred to as delivery tires.

Very true Ross, except in making fairly sharp turns and then they can be a bear. (Wheel drag)

I still prefer a tandem over a single. A tandem will not fish tail as bad as a single if loaded wrong.

Herman

45 minutes ago, manholt said:

Unless it's a cotton trailer.  Axle in front and rear & they both swivel.

They must build them different for Alabama farmers, fixed on rear, swivel in front, just like trying to back a 4 down toad.:wub:

We use them for putting out bales of hay...3 behind the tractor...it's a hoot ! :lol: Will articulate over uneven ground, slowly.  Don't back up!