Jump to content
rcieslak67

Aqua Hot 450D

Recommended Posts

Trying to winterize our 2009 Holiday Rambler Scepter today and was successful for all water lines with RV anti freeze running out of all faucets, hoses and drains for hot and cold side.

Never had an Aqua Hot system before, I have a 450D system and am not too sure if or how this system has a drain on it to drain the hot water side of the coil.

Anyone with suggestions or experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The manual basically says to hook up a line to the suction side of the water pump. Put the line in RV antifreeze . . . Turn on pump and open hot water faucet till U see pink.

 

It's in the manual which is also online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even  in freezing temps.  I don't do anything to the AH, I'm on 50A., and I leave the electric switch on...keeps the AH with hot water!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, manholt said:

Even  in freezing temps.  I don't do anything to the AH, I'm on 50A., and I leave the electric switch on...keeps the AH with hot water!

That being said you are in Texas and he is in Michigan. What would they do if they had a blizzard and power was out for a week. AquaHot would freeze or they would have to keep their generator running. I don't think your weather is as severe as up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have very reliable power, so I put two trouble lights with 60 watt (old style) bulbs in the AH compartment.  This will be winter number eight with an AH and using this method...no problems yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FIVE said:

I have very reliable power, so I put two trouble lights with 60 watt (old style) bulbs in the AH compartment.  This will be winter number eight with an AH and using this method...no problems yet.

Winter number eight Michigan style or in the more southern states?

Once winter gets in full swing around here in Wisconsin, 120w of heat would never keep a bay warm enough to prevent freezing temps unless it was insulated like a sealed cooler.

Not sure what the reason would be to avoid running the pink anti-freeze through the fresh-water side of the AH as the manual instructs? If the rest of the plumbing is done that way already, seems like a no-brainer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry!  I missed the MI part. :(

That said.  We get heavy freeze and big storms in TX. so, we got a 22KW Generator for backup at the ranch and 18KW at Beach house, both run on LP...250 gal. each!  Never can understand, why anyone who lives in extreme cold weather conditions, don't have the same!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't you just winterizing the hot water lines?  I have an Oasis system and the only thing in the heater to my knowledge is the glycol fluid. There isn't any water stored in the heater.  Maybe I'm all wet, pun intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim S.

Your winterizing the heating coils and cold/hot water lines.  The glycol/iodized water in the system is good to -28 degrees.  Not a concern in TX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aquahot doesn't recommend blowing out the fresh water circuit with air. We have the 100 series and I just draw RV antifreeze through the entire coach fresh water plumbing (not the tank) for winter storage. Not to be confused with the baseboard fluid used for interior heat. That only needs a PH check every so often and replaced as needed.

The nice thing with Aquahot, you can still use the heat from the system while its winterized should you need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heating coils should be a 50:50 mix and not need winterization. Might want to just check with an antifreeze tester especially if you purchased used.Never know what someone else did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 50/50 is correct, but only good to -28, that is 28 below freezing F. :rolleyes:

Oasis, is a newer, more compact system, but still built on the same principal as AH and Wabasco.  They al50l use the 30-50% glycol/water mix.  50/50 is ideal, since Glycol is not a good conductor of heat, but water is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Winter number eight Michigan style or in the more southern states?

Once winter gets in full swing around here in Wisconsin, 120w of heat would never keep a bay warm enough to prevent freezing temps unless it was insulated like a sealed cooler.

Not sure what the reason would be to avoid running the pink anti-freeze through the fresh-water side of the AH as the manual instructs? If the rest of the plumbing is done that way already, seems like a no-brainer.

Last winter was down to single digits, no problem with two 60 watt bulbs in a well insulated basement bay.  As far as running the pink A/F through the fresh water side of the house....I don't do that.  I put similar pairs of 60 watt bulbs through out the coach, any where there is the possibility of water freezing.  Haven't run any "pink stuff" in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FIVE said:

Last winter was down to single digits, no problem with two 60 watt bulbs in a well insulated basement bay.  As far as running the pink A/F through the fresh water side of the house....I don't do that.  I put similar pairs of 60 watt bulbs through out the coach, any where there is the possibility of water freezing.  Haven't run any "pink stuff" in years.

I like your idea of the light bulbs in the bays. We have plugs in all the bays I think. I am not sure how well the bays are insulated. And, what about the water and black/gray tanks? We are needing to stay where the nights are below freezing for about two months-N/D. And need to have the water/sewer. Welcome any ideas anyone has for us. Our Class B was better insulated. Thanks and Happy Trails. Spirit Eagle 7002D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drain the water and black/gray tanks for storage, the residue in there won't hurt anything.  The only problem I've had was when it was down in single digits the pull handles for the holding tanks froze.  I put a couple of lights there to thaw them out.  I do put a pair of 60 watt bulbs next to the water pump so it won't freeze.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 5:23 AM, manholt said:

The 50/50 is correct, but only good to -28, that is 28 below freezing F. :rolleyes:

No Carl -28 is 28 degrees below -0-, 28 is 4 degrees below freezing or you could say -28 is 60 degrees below freezing or dang cold.😉 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

For Aqua Hot only use boiler antifreeze. it is different from antifreeze in composition:

Aqua Hot Boiler Antifreeze

Also there are two different colors, pink and lime(yellowish) green. Do not mix them,

The boiler antifreeze is for the boiler part of the Aquahot. You can use regular RV antifreeze in the domestic hot water section when you winterize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aquahot uses two different boiler fluids.

The pink with the attachment listed above and Regular automotive antifreeze (ethylene glycol based) (older models), but both go into the interior heating loops, not the fresh water systems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×