markapittman

Tire Sound Diagnosis

Have a 2017 190 in wheelbase MH with factory 19.5 Goodyear G670 tires with 7000 miles.  Since it was new, at speed I  hear a "wup wup" or thumping sound coming from the rear. In addition, I feel through the seat a vibration/shaking anywhere btwn 55 - 75 mph.  Also a slight pull to the right. I've played with tire pressures ranging from 85 to 100 psi.  (max on these tires is 110) with no change to the noise/vibration. Alignment was checked when new.  Added a steering stabilizer that is properly centered.  I observed that only 1 of the six rims has a balance weight on it.  I am most concerned with the noise and, given the history of problems with G670s, am wondering if that sound is a sign of belt separation and/or out of round tires.  I do plan to take it in to a truck tire shop but was wondering if anyone else experienced this condition.

Your senses are working correctly. That would be my thought as well. Vibrations in the steering wheel/column usually indicate the front end and in the seat the rear. Thump Thump when a truck goes by or is being passed means get the devil out of the way. It would be no different with your rig except you are going to pay the repair bill and suffer the fright when it lets go.   

12 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Your senses are working correctly. That would be my thought as well. Vibrations in the steering wheel/column usually indicate the front end and in the seat the rear. Thump Thump when a truck goes by or is being passed means get the devil out of the way. It would be no different with your rig except you are going to pay the repair bill and suffer the fright when it lets go.   

X2!

A possible reason for. Thump thump is one adjacent dual maybe different size. Worn more, a newer replacement tire, make sure the diameters are close to the same size.

7 hours ago, thezafts said:

A possible reason for. Thump thump is one adjacent dual maybe different size. Worn more, a newer replacement tire, make sure the diameters are close to the same size.

Harry, the op said that it is a 2017 coach with factory original tires (19 inch G670s with 7,000 miles). It is possible the factory put one wrong size tire on but very unlikely. I go with the thought of a belt separation and that he should go very slowly to the nearest tire dealer and have all of his rear tires inspected. 

Herman 

Inspection is imperative.  Playing with inflation is something I don't think I would ever advise.

A close visual inspection of the entire 360 degrees (yes you would need to move the RV a bit) and look closely for an area of more wear than on the rest of the tire could be

an indication of a separation in the tire.

Not sure how different size tires would cause the described noise. If size is different then BOTH tires MUST be replaced ASAP.

Looking forward to hearing what the truck tire dealer discovers.