dbenoit

Cabin Fever "2019"

32 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

Well at least taking out the trash, at night. What i heard was coyotes howling out back near the creek.

Kind of creepy, sounded like 3. Then they just stopped. I bolted in the house. Mega spotlights on, seen

nothing. They are there, tracks. Soooo any ideas to get rid of them besides head shots.

Well, you asked for it and here is a true story, sorry for the length.

My brother at about 80 years of age, owned a fair amount of land and had a large watermelon patch planted. Everyday he would go to check on the watermelons and about the time they were just beginning to ripen, he noticed small holes in the larger melons, so he planted himself up on a hill above the patch with binoculars to watch for the culprit that was ruining the melons. After about three days he finally spotted them, there were three coyotes that would wander into the patch and take a bite out of several melons and leaving the rest behind to ruin. He decided to poison the coyotes because he owned no guns. After some research, he decided that antifreeze containing ethylene  glycol would be his choice poison because of ease for obtaining it. He purchased a gallon of undiluted antifreeze then off to the grocery store for hamburger meat to mix with the antifreeze. When he arrived at the store he thought about it for a while and decided that hamburger meat was not appropriate for a last meal, so he picked out several packs of filet of beef and asked the butcher to grind that for him. When he arrived back at the barn (this is where the melons were planted) and began to mix his concoction. Looking out into the melon patch he observed two of the handsome critters about to take another bite of a big beautiful melon. His heart throbbed with guilt about getting rid of those beautiful animals in such a cruel manner. There was a large upright freezer at the barn to put vegetables in after gathering and preparing to freeze. Into that freezer went the meat cocktail. My brother passed away last newyear day two years ago at the age of 91. The family asked me to assist them in cleaning out the barn getting ready to disperse of his assets. While emptying the freezer they came upon a rather large package with a hand drawn skull and bones on it, they pulled the package and noticed that it was still soft even though it had been in that freezer for 11 years. It seems that he never shared this story with his kids, so they asked me to explain if I could. Those pesky coyotes were probably outside while I shared the story.:unsure:

DB, we got Coyotes on the Ranch also, but passing thru...did some research and spoke with the wildlife department.  If you hear them, it means one of 2 things.  A lone Coyote or a pack from another area, is asking permission to pass thru.  Or a lone Coyote is letting the pack know, he found food.  No, your not it. If any dog, skunk, coyotes, coons etc, wants a piece of you, when it's not cornered and drips foamy saliva, it's rabid & you shot. 

I would leave them alone, they'll be long gone...unless you got a Mellon Patch! :lol: 

That's what I was hoping for, that they would just leave. I don't approve of "wacking" any animal unless it is life threatening or for food that's not to waste.

I do have rabbits (pets) out back but there are no tracks near the cages. Them rabbits are mean, always biting the hand that feeds and they are cannibals.

We have alot of wild animals going through our yard. One time a small fawn ran up to us while we were in the pool, a very large buck appears every now and 

then, turkeys all over, then the beavers that have been there since the beginning of time (thanks for the pond). Funny never seen a skunk.

You do NOT want to see a SKUNK...don't ask! :(

Coyotes have a 250+/- sq. mile hunting range!  You'll hear them again.  We don't hunt at the house, property is Ag., wild life exempt...so we feed.  We do hunt on a friends ranch in NE Texas, 1,800 ac. & my property in W TX, 1,280 ac.  

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Richard, you anywhere near all of that flooding in Wisconsin?

Not yet - it seems to be closer to the river basins right now. Some isolated road flooding from frozen storm drains is all I've seen.

49 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Not yet - it seems to be closer to the river basins right now. Some isolated road flooding from frozen storm drains is all I've seen.

That’s good! 

Those winter storms did not hit the South, like it did you..we got a lot of rain, not a build up of ice & snow.  Now,  we are  starting to see he effect of all that frozen water, as the streams & rivers are rising down here!  FL, AL, Miss & LA. :(

The mess in Nebraska and Kansas, will eventually find it's way into Texas...water runs to the Gulf.  

Reading through the wildlife tales from you guys in Texas, I couldn't help but notice how strange it is that we've got a very similar population, despite the severe weather difference. We've got pack of coyote in the valley, and they get quite loud on foggy nights. Kind of eery to listen to the sound when the moon is bright and the fog is thick. Aside from the coyote, we've got red fox, skunk, racoon, more rabbits than I can count, the occasional barn owl, and deer living somewhere in heavy brush.

Yep, all the above + Bob Cat, Cougar, Javelin, wild pigs, snakes, armadillos, possum, gators & everybody's favorite, the Mosquito! :wacko:🤗

Wednesday is the day!!!!! 1st day of spring, It's going to be like throwing a $100 bill on the bar at "Glitter Gulch".

Covers come off of MH, boat and pool. By the way, for those who never went, "Glitter Gulch" was a fine Las Vegas downtown

establishment until it's closing.  Ahhh I loved that place......Anyways I don't care if we get more snow, the time is Wednesday.

Yipee!! Yahoo!!

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Yep, all the above + Bob Cat, Cougar, Javelin, wild pigs, snakes, armadillos, possum, gators & everybody's favorite, the Mosquito! :wacko:🤗

Don't forget the crawly things that bite also.....OMG Tarantula's on the move...like thousands, black widows, scorpions, and them nasty inch worms or should I say them 6 inch worms.

Not in Texas...LA has the ones that carry you off to Mommy! :lol:  We got the small, black one, hurts you!  

Hope your pool is heated...I don't belong to the Polar Bear Club! :wacko:

16 hours ago, manholt said:

Not in Texas...LA has the ones that carry you off to Mommy! :lol:  We got the small, black one, hurts you!  

Hope your pool is heated...I don't belong to the Polar Bear Club! :wacko:

I won't jump in until June. Grand kids don't care I've seen them jump in early May. 

Whats with the march of the Tarantula's. When I was Ft Hood, one night cruising drinking we saw all this black things moving in the road, we stopped

and looked and it was mega T's all going the same direction. Kind of creepy, 

The spiders could have been running from this one wasp. I have seen them flying low looking for spiders. I have pictures of one that was dragging a big tarantula across the grass headed for a place to stash it. It was moving right along and I don't get to close or do anything to upset the wasp. The wasp is quite attractive they are quite large with cobalt blue body and copper wings. You definitely don't want to get stung. The sting is described (in peer reviewed medical text) as so bad you are stung just lay down and start screaming. No I don't want to try it and see if it's true. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=287mfv6lbDU

Bill

They must be tasty! Actually I just looked it up after all these years, they travel like that looking for females who could eat them or mate.

What a choice????

On 2/19/2019 at 10:29 AM, wayne77590 said:

Just the other day I fired up the Traeger and BBQ'd St. Louis Style ribs.  They came out deliciously.

It's nice being able to BBQ in nicer weather all year round, well maybe a little hotter in Summer than other places but that is why I'm a "Summerbird."

In the summer all you have to do is lay them ribs on a grate and let the sun do the work.  You can call them solar ribs.  

Ah ha! So you've been to Texas, eh?

Did Ribs in the Instant Pot the other night. Came out with the meat falling off the bone.

Traeger takes 6 hours to do them right. Instant pot takes about an hour total.

If I don't want to fire up the pit...I grill/smoke on the Weber Genesis, 2 hours!  Can't get the right taste in a Insta Pot.