fagnaml

Slide-Out Operation -- Newmar Guidance

During our walk-through of our new-to-use Newmar Ventana LE this past Thursday (3/21/19) at National Indoor RV Center in Lewisville, TX, the technician we had said the guidance from Newmar is to extend/retract slide-outs while the coach is at "ride height".   The reasonong, per Newmar, is the slide-outs are installed when the coach is at ride-height and thus operating the slide-outs at ride height puts the less stress on the slide-outs and their motors.   Leveling jacks should be operated after slide outs are extended / retracted.   Per Newmar, operating slide-outs after "dropping air" can cause the slide-outs to get into a bind.

This guidance is different from that received when I purchased the Damon Astoria 3-1/2 years ago from PPL Motorhomes in Houston.  The technician I had then said to dump air, operate the leveling jacks then extend the slide outs.   That technician said dumping air first meant less 'travel' needed from the leveling jacks.

What is the forum's thoughts on the sequence of extending slide-outs, dumping air and operating the leveling jacks?   Is Newmar's guidance a good practice to follow?

Mike, this seems to vary within the same manufacture between models and years. Said another way; there is no "this is the way you should do it standard across the industry". 

I'd follow the procedure exactly as its outlined in the owners manual. 

Same as I had on the WB 2007 Tour 40' !  On the Allegro Bus, it was dump first.  Same on my current coach! 

I'm a by the book guy.  However, IMHO, you should never put out the slides if the coach is not level.  Newmar says to extend the slides at ride height because that's the way they were installed.  Fine,  but not mentioned is the fact that at ride height in the plant they were most like level.  We have camped on some very uneven terrain, and did not even consider moving the slides until level.  On uneven ground, moving a full wall slide in a twisted coach could cause a serious binding condition.  

I'd call Newmar for further explanation.

22 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

I simply follow Newmars instructions to operate the slides.

Fine....then call  Newmar when one of your slides binds and will not move.  Their method makes no sense, nobody in their right mind, moves the slides unless the coach is level.

Jim, is it HWH for slides and Jacks?  I had that on my 2007  WB Tour 40, never a bind and if I remember right,, I also ran slides out first and then leveled.

Carl, it is not HWH. Newmar uses an electric rack and pinion design which is proprietary to Newmar. My last motorhome was always air down, level and then extend slides so it does go against my natural thought process to extend slides and then level but if thats what the designer recommends who am I to argue. MIke asked a question regarding confirmation on what he was instructed to do when he picked up his coach. I repeated what is in my manual and what Newmar verbally has confirmed to be the correct way of extending and retracting the slides. Everyone seems to agree he should follow the manual yet Five, in his opinion and even though he is a by the book person, disagrees. 

I'm certainly no expert on any coach, especially if its a different brand than mine.

I follow the instructions in the owner's manual, DW don't.   You supposed to work the slides with full suspension inflation with jacks up.   Now you know why we have so much trouble with the slides.  

Jim, I'm not even a expert on mine! :rolleyes:  Every time I have a problem with mine, I look it up in my owners manual.  Most of the time, either the wire diagram or plumbing, does not correspond to my year or coach!  I have had it with American Coach! :angry:

Good comments thus far - thanks!   I established an account with Newmar’s “Newgle” system (Google for Newmar owners) and read the directions for extending slide-outs which confirms what the NIRV technician told me — extend slides at ride height then level the coach.   The directions have no wording about being on level ground or not.    

The engineer in me says level the coach first then extend slides from s level position.  But then I’m a chemical engineer and thus “statics, dynamics, physics” are not my strengths...

I will call Newmar and get their guidance for extending slides when parked on un- level ground and will let the forum know Newmar’s response.

Mike, purely guessing their reasoning, on jacks the coaches chassis can be flexed or tweaked even though the body is level to walk in to make it level. On uneven ground resting on the air suspension, it is absorbing the abnormality not the chassis through the jacks. 

May I have a drum roll & the sound of trumpets!  Glad someone got it...The big difference between a Engineer & a fabricator.  As Mike said, he's a chemical engineer, I would love to hear that conversation, between him & a Tech.  Mike's making too big a deal out of this!  IMHO.:ph34r:

My wonderful wife had Chiari Malformation Decompression Surgery (major brain surgery) four weeks ago so my time has been spent focused on her and trying to not to get too far behind at work (thank goodness for being able to get most work done remotely from home!). 

The fine folks at Newmar did provide an explanation for operating slide-outs at "ride height" and then leveling the coach.   This "procedure" came about a few years ago when Newmar began installing full wall, "flush mount" slide-outs in their 40 foot plus motorhomes.   Newmar found that when the coach was leveled and then the full-wall slide-out was operated that the stress points had changed which could cause the flush-mount slide-outs to get "bound-up" inside the frame for the slide-out.   This explanation made sense to a chemical engineer who didn't much like physics!

Also, Newmar's guidance is to always park on a "reasonably level" spot for slide-out operation.

Per many responses to my question, the simple answer is "follow instructions" !!