jleamont

MATLACHA, FL Campgrounds

Anyone ever stay here? We are looking for great takeout/restaurants in the area.

https://www.sugarsandbeachrvresort.com/

I just booked a trip here. So far the booking experience and RV park Reviews were great. This picture sold me when it popped up on Facebook and their rates are great at $70.00 per night off season (summer).

Sugar sand beach.jpg

Have been everywhere in that part of FL. never Pine Island.  Reads interesting, small RV park!  When are you going?

All 4 of us are going. I went through it last weekend and cleaned it all up, top to bottom, took me several hours! 

All that's left to do is load food, most of which we haven't purchased yet, bed is made and all linens and such are loaded. 

Yea.

Bill, take it to PM...I'll do the same!

Joe, sorry about that.  But, I will say (I'm on subject) I'm happy my wife want's to take care of inside off coach! 😁

I am a bit surprised for the amount of people that travel to Florida in winter no one can toss some insights into that area for any must see stuff, places to eat and shop....etc.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:57 AM, jleamont said:

I am a bit surprised for the amount of people that travel to Florida in winter no one can toss some insights into that area for any must see stuff, places to eat and shop....etc.

I live in Pensacola.  Those are the flocks of snowbirds.  They have a season.  We still can't hunt them.  Okay, seriously, I'm a grouch so I'll suggest places to stay away from:  Key West, Orlando, Miami area.  Some good places:  St. Marks -- out-of-the-way, quiet, beautiful, interesting visitor's center, the lighthouse itself.  Crystal River -- Charlie's restaurant in town.  Quail Roost RV Park a little to the northeast.  Three interesting dead-end roads to the Gulf between Crystal River and Homosassa, five to ten miles each, but TOWDS only -- you'll think you're an ostrich egg in a hummingbird nest if you try them in anything more than a small Class B or C.  Skip Peck's Old Port Cove at the end of N. Ozello Trail. Incredibly beautiful park, beach, pier at Fort Island Beach and Pier, end of County Rd. 44.   Blackwater Fins (restaurant/bar) on West Ozello Trail is very good.  The Shed is good, out West Yulee Drive. The Freezer Tiki Bar (seafood too, esp. boiled shrimp) on W. Boulevard Dr, south of the end of West Yulee Drive, and better of The Shed is crammed.   Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife Preserve on 490A  All these are on small roads between 98 and the Gulf and between Crystal River and Homosassa.   The race horse area of central Florida is gorgeous for side trips.  Naval Aviation Museum if it's open to the public again (check -- I'm not sure, and I live here).  Incredibly white sand, emerald and sapphire water at Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach.  Cedar Key for local camp, but approach in a big rig with extreme caution.  It's bloody cramped down at the end of the road.  Oh -- beware of fuel prices on the west coast between Tallahassee and Clearwater, particularly Cross City, Perry, Chiefland; something like a 20-cent-per-gallon rip off.  I know I'm only scratching the surface.  Major snowbird roosts are Clearwater and The Villages.  The wise stay clear.

3 hours ago, UrbanHermit said:

Cross City, something like a 20-cent-per-gallon rip off.

Yep. Cedar Key, probably the best fishing in Florida, long desolate road between Cross City and Cedar Key is the reason for the 20 cent rip off, small wonder that it's not $2.00 per gallon, Columbians don't care how much gasoline cost. Sorry the devil made me do it.:P No joke. fishing is really great off the coast of Cedar Key. haven't been there in years, but was one of my favorite seafood restaurants back in the day. Joe, is looking for sites near Ocala area and below. Good luck Joe, sorry that I can't answer question about that area, been too many years to be accurate about that area. Half brother in law lives in Daytona and that's a little further north, although I used to love to visit the Daytona flea market.

I suspect we will spend a fair amount of time on Sanibel Island while on the west coast. There appears to be a fair amount to do on the island of Matlacha. This will be our 2nd trip to the west coast of Florida. We fell in love with the west coast the last time out there. I would love to move somewhere in the Punta Gorda area. When we venture back to the east coast which is just north of Daytona most of that time will be in St Augustine and just on the beach at the campground. We've been to that area many times. Waves are better to ride on the east coast or id just stay on the west coast.

We are headed to Navarre in August. 

Mosquitoes, Sand Fleas, No-see-Um, etc is on West Coast and the Glades.  Not so much on the East Coast, even going by boat from West to East on the Intracostal Channel thru Lake O.

Joe, I loved Sanibel, before 1996.  Now, way to many people and lack of Infrastructure...Same with Captiva.  Your going to Pine Island and there lies the reason, why your not getting feed back...Long drive out and having to drive thru questionable housing area to get there.  When your there, you'll find a lot of artsy places and shops, cafes, lots of good food (think seafood), vegan.  You can have your fill of Kale crackers and Tofu salad.  That's all I know!

All I have to say is WOW! Beautiful location, cute small campground with only 10 sites. it was tough to get into our site but manageable. Probably would have been easier if I backed in from the street since (Small street with NO traffic) the sites are slightly angled. But after 14 hours of driving I just wanted to relax so a 3 point turn did the trick.
absolutely love it here!! Highly recommend this place. 

AC592593-B67D-4DCD-9EEC-26454F962411.jpeg

3E9376BD-D05E-4089-A5A1-17062A450F19.jpeg

Wayne, we are 41’6”. You’d fit! Carl, there was a Prevost here when we arrived. The sites are angled towards the road, I didn’t angle our coach. 
Parked on crushed sea shells

295229E9-0CA5-4AB1-B964-A2D867F27C48.jpeg

037A827B-D370-459E-88B6-11FEE4741EFC.jpeg

682A0455-3D0F-4512-928E-B33E15D2326B.jpeg

B2D75A3C-2AE0-48F0-A325-C40DFB8E1F96.jpeg

Joe,  if that is on Pine island our grandson lives there, nice area. We have not stayed at a park but in their driveway. Fort Myers is very nice too. Plenty of fresh seafood.

10 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Joe,  if that is on Pine island our grandson lives there, nice area. We have not stayed at a park but in their driveway. Fort Myers is very nice too. Plenty of fresh seafood.

Bill, so far all I’ve eaten has been seafood :). We’ve determined it’s time to plan the logistics of a move

Joe, I've heard that script before! 🤣:rolleyes: Was it a 40' or 45' Prevost?  2005 was the last year for the XL (40')!