tireman9

My tires getting old. Time to change?

Ya even tire engineers can have their tires get old and have problems. BUT I do try and "Practice What I Preach" so I don't have problems.

My 2016 coach came with tires with DOT date code  of 3415 so two weeks ago they were 1621  just a few weeks shy of 6 years old.

While I have always run my desired inflation (70 F  & 75 R) based on 4 corner weights and have never had a warning from my TPMS I prefer

safe to sorry. Besides if i had a tire failure Herman would never let me forget it.

I did a post back in 2015 on how to soften the blow to your wallet when it comes to buying tires. I was aware of a price increase hitting on April 30 so I

bought two new tires. Next year I will get two more and in 2023 I will get two more that will complete a 100% change of tires before their 9th year.

So now I am good to go this July to Gillette and next march to Tucson AZ.  See you all at the FMCA Conventions.

Cars are 10 years, where does the 9 fit in?  Motorhomes are 7 years max and most of us are lucky to get 6!

Now, if I only took my coach out for 3 or 4 times a year and the rest of the time, it sat on marine grade plywood or heavy cardboard, in  a dark Climatized garage!  I also might get 9 years....I doubt it.  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Cars are 10 years, where does the 9 fit in?  Motorhomes are 7 years max and most of us are lucky to get 6!

Now, if I only took my coach out for 3 or 4 times a year and the rest of the time, it sat on marine grade plywood or heavy cardboard, in  a dark Climatized garage!  I also might get 9 years....I doubt it.  

Your times are correct for people in "Southern Tier" AZ, NM, TX, AL, LA, FL but us Yankees can get a bit more if we are not overloading. The point of my post was not to start a debate on max tire life but to point out that with some planning you can avoid the $$$$ hit of replacing all tires at the same day.

8 hours ago, tireman9 said:

Ya even tire engineers can have their tires get old and have problems. BUT I do try and "Practice What I Preach" so I don't have problems.

My 2016 coach came with tires with DOT date code  of 3415 so two weeks ago they were 1621  just a few weeks shy of 6 years old.

While I have always run my desired inflation (70 F  & 75 R) based on 4 corner weights and have never had a warning from my TPMS I prefer

safe to sorry. Besides if i had a tire failure Herman would never let me forget it.

I did a post back in 2015 on how to soften the blow to your wallet when it comes to buying tires. I was aware of a price increase hitting on April 30 so I

bought two new tires. Next year I will get two more and in 2023 I will get two more that will complete a 100% change of tires before their 9th year.

So now I am good to go this July to Gillette and next march to Tucson AZ.  See you all at the FMCA Conventions.

Sorry to butt in but you said 2 then 2 then 2 over a three year period.  The problem with that is the dual rear axle will have mixed wear tires.  I seen first hand what happens when not all tires on dual axle are not changed all the same time.  How are you going to be sure that the tires wear even if you only replace 2 on rear axle?  

3 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Sorry to butt in but you said 2 then 2 then 2 over a three year period.  The problem with that is the dual rear axle will have mixed wear tires.  I seen first hand what happens when not all tires on dual axle are not changed all the same time.  How are you going to be sure that the tires wear even if you only replace 2 on rear axle?  

If you read my blog you will see that I will change tires on one side one year. The other side the next year.   FYI I also have a post on how to "match" duals if you ever need to replace one tire that is in a dual position. A bit of work but it avoids other problems.

13 hours ago, tireman9 said:

If you read my blog you will see that I will change tires on one side one year. The other side the next year.   FYI I also have a post on how to "match" duals if you ever need to replace one tire that is in a dual position. A bit of work but it avoids other problems.

I know it can be a great expense, but I would never do it. Unless you have measured the circumference of both tires and they are the same, you might have problems. A smaller tire turns faster at a certain speed than a larger one would. So there would be a lot of friction on the weaker of the two. Also the taller tire will be carrying more of the weight and getting hotter. Hot tires can catch fire and burn up wheel bearing, burn the vehicle, or fly apart causing more damage. If you have to buy two  tire, it should be mounted on the front, and two of the same size front tires should be moved or remounted to the duals providing they are same circumference. (my opinion)

I think that you will find that the OC of the fromt pair will measure withing the 3/4" OC which is the spec for matching a pair of tires for dual position.

So we consider the fronts a "pair"  the Right duals a pair and the Left rear duals a pair.

My suggestion to get 2 new tires a year over a 3 year period keeps each "pair" together.

Just an idea that I believe in and am practicing on my RV.

I believe in doing replacement by the axle 

on mine was two steers then four tags then four drives  and now back to steers 

50 minutes ago, bm02tj said:

I believe in doing replacement by the axle 

on mine was two steers then four tags then four drives  and now back to steers 

Just curious what chassis /RV has four tag tires?

Bill

On 5/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, tireman9 said:

The point of my post was not to start a debate on max tire life but to point out that with some planning you can avoid the $$$$ hit of replacing all tires at the same day.

Yet there you are talking about running tires longer than the accepted time. Wouldn't it be smarter to start 3 or 4 or 6 years before you need to replace them and put money aside in a savings/tire account so you will have it when you need it? On top of that you might make a little interest on the money. :D

Bill

16 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

Yet there you are talking about running tires longer than the accepted time. Wouldn't it be smarter to start 3 or 4 or 6 years before you need to replace them and put money aside in a savings/tire account so you will have it when you need it? On top of that you might make a little interest on the money. :D

Bill

Where can you make even 1% APR on a savings account.?    Not sure why you feel that my 6 year age is longer than "Acceptable time" Especially since I run with about 25% Reserve load as my coach is really light weight.  Only driving down south is 2 trips OH to Perry in March. All other travel has been North of Mason Dixon line (OH, IN, IL, IA, SD, MT, NY and MA) so generally cooler than most others.

I figure I can get a good price on the current tires that are less than 1/2 worn. My "Professional" inspection and my actual personal experience found the tires in good condition.

I jsut felt that spreading purchase over 3 years and having newer tires on the front was a reasonable practice.

This thread started off going down hill and it continues to gain speed.

So you've "professionally" inspected your tires and are wiling to resell what most of us believe to be aged out tires to an uninformed person. Personally, at best I find that immensely un-professional and at worse life threatening. 

I have been using tiremans almost same protocol for many years. Only difference I buy 4 at a time at year 5 the two steers and two trails are moved to the drive axel, and the new tires are installed on the drive axel rims and put back as steer and trail axels, the four take offs are standard semi trailer tires which I sell to a trailer owner at about 40% of new tire value and are 5 years old. Trailer owner and I are both happy now because he will finish wearing out the tires that are not aged nor worn out.

15 minutes ago, tireman9 said:

Not sure why you feel that my 6 year age is longer than "Acceptable time"

Perhaps you should go back and read what you posted. " bought two new tires. Next year I will get two more and in 2023 I will get two more that will complete a 100% change of tires before their 9th year." 

19 minutes ago, tireman9 said:

I figure I can get a good price on the current tires that are less than 1/2 worn. My "Professional" inspection and my actual personal experience found the tires in good condition.

So do you start breaking the tires down to inspect the inside of the casing starting at year 7 like Michelin recommends? 

Bill

23 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

Perhaps you should go back and read what you posted. " bought two new tires. Next year I will get two more and in 2023 I will get two more that will complete a 100% change of tires before their 9th year." 

So do you start breaking the tires down to inspect the inside of the casing starting at year 7 like Michelin recommends? 

Bill

Well in this case I have two off the wheels and they look fine.    Will do the next two this fall so the RV is ready to head out in Feb. If I find any problems this fall I can just get the other 2.

The intent of the post was to get the message across that I follow what I suggested in my post on doing a rolling change.

9 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Just curious what chassis /RV has four tag tires?

Bill

It is a renegade 1816MG on a Freightliner FL80  chassis 

7 hours ago, bm02tj said:

It is a renegade 1816MG on a Freightliner FL80  chassis 

Ok, looks like a stout set up. I am just not that familiar with the double tag set up.

Bill

Bill, if memories serve, he posted a picture of it a couple of years ago...Darn nice rig! 

bm, you beat me.

Edited by manholt

You guys are making my head hurt.  When I replaced tires in the summer of 2019, I replaced all eight.  That way the only thing that hurt was my credit card.😀

I cheated this last time When I bought a new to me camper the dealer (without asking me) put 6 new tires on. (on his dime) so I am good to go for the next 6 years. I will just start saving now so I will have the money then. 

Bill