Lou Noble

Repair shop rip offs

As we all have a fear of getting ripped off by repair shops, and me being a new owner of a 2003 Itasc Class A Motorhome with only 23,000 miles, my first problem was the ABS light staying on, so I took it to an RV repair shop, I know RV repairs could be costly but not having a choice than to take my RV to get checked for the ABS light and brakes, I was first charged $262. just to diagnose the ABS light problem and then charged an extra $175. for brake inspection. They installed the right rear wheel speed sensor and cleared the code, but then they said that my front Hub was leaking, and that my brake caliper piston were hanging up and recommended that my front and rear pads be replaced, estimate $3,700, after a couple of hours they called me and recommended that my rotors and calipers needed to be replaced for a complete repair, Being that my RV had been in the shop for two days I authorized the repairs and in the end I was stock with a $5,700. repair bill which I had no choice then to pay the bill to get my RV out of the shop, Now my question is, is that a normal cost of a full complete brake job, replacing the rotors and calipers? or was I ripped off, Parts were $2,572. and the labor was $2,724. + taxes and shop fees? since I'm a new owner of a class A Motorhome I need feedback from those who have gotten a brake job like this and was the repair that costly?     

Welcome to the Forum. 

4 to 5 ththousand is pretty close. You will find most shops labor rates run from $115.00 to as high as $185.00 per hour. 

Diagnosing a motorhome is not like a car where you plug in a computer and it diagnosis it for you.

So sorry, your repairs may have been a bit high but I don't think think you got ripped off. 

Again welcome, 

Herman 

Age alone  is part of it 

You should always ask for the old parts  so you can see why they are changed then let them dispose 

You would likely see rust pock marks in the rotors and metallic brake pads rust and break down 

With that low of mileage add some good additive's and change the oil early as age is a killer  

Edited by bm02tj

I cant comment too much on the price since ive never had a shop do that extensive work on my motorhome (yet).  I also have a 2003 class A motorhome (National Dolphin on the Workhorse chassis).  I can tell you i recently had one of my rear hub seals replaced which came to $167.00, and he did a brake inspection for free.  I also had the front shocks replaced for $550.00, and i recieved a quote to replace the front leaf springs (one is weak enough it sometimes hits the bump stop) for $2,500.00.  I need to wait on that until i get enough $$ for it.

I agree with previous quotes that you should maybe look at the worn/damaged parts, possibly before the repair is done.  That way, maybe you can confirm that the work is necessary, and keep the mechanic honest.  

-chris g.

Lou Nobel.  Welcome to the Forum!

Cost, average.  2003 coach, diesel with 16,000 miles on it...you will be very lucky indeed if you get away with another $3,000 to $5,000!  What is your age on tires?  Where was the coach living before you bought it?

$$$ sound reasonable.  Shop rates run from $120 per hour and up.  With an RV that age with only 23,000 miles, you can expect repairs, especially if the previous owners were lax on the maintenance. 

Next areas of concern are tires, generator and sealants and caulking.  

Good luck and happy camping.

Ken

When we bought this MH the ABS light would occasionally come on, I asked by auto mechanic about it and he said he brakes would work just like brakes did before ABS was invented. He continued to say if I wanted the ABS light to only come on at startup, to use my high pressure washer on straight stream from the opposite side and thoroughly wash the backside of the wheels. His suggestion worked, now the ABS light only comes on at startup, when i tested them with an emergency stop I could feel the ABS pumping action.

On 8/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, RICHAUBERT@GMAIL.COM said:

Is it lawful for a RV repair shop to mark-up the retail  price of a part by 25%?  Has anyone made a complaint to the any consumer agency like the BBB or the state consumer affairs?  If so did contacting them help?

Yes - nearly every shop I've ever taken a vehicle to does this, including RV repair shops. As long as they're not charging you differently than their advertised prices for the parts, then what's the issue? Stores (including repair shops) are free to charge what the customer will pay.

Many shops have rules prohibiting the installation of customer-supplied parts. Part of this is because they won't make any money on the parts this way. When I take my coach to the diesel shop they often have trouble getting parts since the coach is a 1974, so they let me order them through my supplier. They tried at first to do it through theirs so they could add the markup, but finally allowed me to source them when their suppliers came up empty.