Guest BillAdams

Staying Logged In

Guest BillAdams

When I log into this forum I am asked if I want to remain logged in (or remember or similar) and I check this option. It works great for a few returns to this forum but it rarely lasts longer than a day or two.

When I return I am a guest and have to click the Log In link where I appear to be remembered as no further action is required. I log into multiple forums multiple times per day (every day) and this is the only one that cannot remember me for anything more than a brief period.

Any ideas?

I wonder if which browser is being used makes a difference? I use Firefox and get logged out about once a day. Doesn't happen on other forums that I visit.

I just turned my computer off and rebooted and I am still logged in. Even at home my desktop stays logged in. The only way to have to log in again is if I log out. I'm using windows 7.

I assume that the "automatic log out" may be connected to anti virus software or other "cleaning" software that you are using and the settings you have chosen. I recently started using a cleaner from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

This free software gets rid of temporary internet files, cookies, etc. Before I used this software, I would stayed loged in for months. After I started using the above cleaner, I am logged out when I run the cleaner. I find the log out worth the price of the good things that the cleaner does. This cleaner also logs me out of other sites and forums that require a log in. Also, now when I log into secure sites, the site doesn't remember my computer, so I have answer the various security questions.

Sam

Guest BillAdams

Remeber that I am using the same computer and same browser to visit multiple forums. I remain logged in to every forum I visit except this one. As an example, today I remained logged in. Later today, if I return, I may or may not still be logged in. I have gone for days at a time and remained logged in and I have had it only last a session or 2. Usually it's only a day or 2.

+2 (using IE & Windows 7 home prem)

+3 Using Firefox (7.0) and Win 7.

I too, log into many other forums and this one is the only one that I have to constantly re-enter my login information. If there were conflicts with "cleaning" or "anti-virus" software, then is seems likely that I would find this behavior similar in other forums, but I don't.

The reason you may or may not see the problem in other forums is dependent on how the various forums work. Some forums will log you off if you log onto their forum from a different computer. They only allow you to be logged in from one system at a time. Others may time you out if you don't view the forum at least once in a given time period. They set the time period. For example, a forum may say if you don't view the forum at least once a day, you get forced off and have to sign in again. It could be set for hours, days or weeks. Also, your browser settings can determine what you stay logged into. I had the same problem with Facebook and fixed it by unchecking the setting in Internet Explorer that said "Delete browsing history on exit" or something similar to that. A similar problem with my bank was fixed by searching the settings in IE and selecting in two different areas an option that said something like "Reset Internet Explorer to default settings."

As others have stated, your virus software could be the one forcing you to sign in each time. Have no idea where you would go to fix that one. I use Norton (provided by my ISP) and it doesn't seem to cause me any probelms. Btw ... I use the IE 9.0 browser.

I have never had the problem with FMCA other than maybe once every few weeks I find I have to log in again. That hasn't been frequent enough to bother to look for a solution. I have two computers at home and one at work that I use to log onto FMCA. I wish I had better info for you, but hopefully someone will figure it out and post the solution here. Good luck!

You might want to touch base with Todd Moning, administrator. Send him a message and see what response you get. I had several problems a few weeks ago. He indicated only a few people were having the same problem. Several days later, everything was working fine.

For myself, I have Vista, Firefox and Norton Antivirus. I'm logged in unless I purposely log out. I suspect some kind of glitch or incompatibility in the FMCA software that is causing a problem for you and a few (maybe many) others.

Trying to pinpoint this ...

I'm wondering whether it takes around a day of not visiting before some users are getting logged out.

Has anyone had to log on again on the same day, even when you did not sign out during your previous visit?

Or does this occur only after you've been away for at least 24 hours?

Thanks.

Guest BillAdams

I doubt I am every away from this forum for 24 hours but certainly over night since I do like to get "some" sleep. I don't have to re-enter my user name or password, just click on the Log In link and the forum will show my name and show me logged in. It happened again yesterday. It was OK in the morning but I was logged out when I returned in the afternoon. I do change between connecting to the internet via satellite, cellular through a router, cellular with an air card connected directly to my computer as well as Wi-Fi but this is the only forum where logging in repeatedly is an issue.

Trying to pinpoint this ...

I'm wondering whether it takes around a day of not visiting before some users are getting logged out.

Has anyone had to log on again on the same day, even when you did not sign out during your previous visit?

Or does this occur only after you've been away for at least 24 hours?

Thanks.

It's erratic. Sometimes I will be logged in for a day or two, sometimes I have to log in a couple times within a 24 hour period.

The site does retain my pw, so it takes about 3 clicks to get to the new content on the forum....

1 click on sign in

2 click on forum

3 click on new content

I only use 2 other forums, and I remain logged in for ever.....

It's erratic. Sometimes I will be logged in for a day or two, sometimes I have to log in a couple times within a 24 hour period.

The site does retain my pw, so it takes about 3 clicks to get to the new content on the forum....

1 click on sign in

2 click on forum

3 click on new content

My experience is pretty much the same, as far as how often I need to use the 3 steps to log in sometimes after a few hours and sometimes after just under 24 hours. I hardly ever go more than 24 hours between checking the forum and usually check 2 or 3 times each day for new posts or replys.

I read one other forum and can stay logged in there regardless whether I use park wifi or tether through my blackberry phone. I only have the one PC so it can not be related to being logged in on one and accessing with another PC.

ON EDIT 11/24 5:20 AM EST: Today, much to my amazement, I bring up the forum and Lo and Behold - I'm still logged in!!!!

Someone please tell me this does NOT prove that whining does help.

Edited by NavyDad89

My experience is pretty much the same, as far as how often I need to use the 3 steps to log in sometimes after a few hours and sometimes after just under 24 hours. I hardly ever go more than 24 hours between checking the forum and usually check 2 or 3 times each day for new posts or replys.

I read one other forum and can stay logged in there regardless whether I use park wifi or tether through my blackberry phone. I only have the one PC so it can not be related to being logged in on one and accessing with another PC.

Same here. Two other forums, Escapees and TiffinRVNetwork, never log me out. Running Vista, Firefox and McAfee.

Guest BillAdams

1 click on sign in

2 click on forum

3 click on new content

Yes, that is my exact experience.

Todd Moning,,,,

Just a side note and public Thanks.

Todd recently helped me resolve a Blog issue.

Talk about responsive.

It seems almost as soon as I sent the message to the web administrator, I immediately received a request for additional info, and the issue was resolved very quickly.

Todd, Just simply,

Thank you for the work you do. Now, I'm not blowing smoke, sometimes a public thank you is well deserved, as in this case.

John

Guest BillAdams

Today I posted at 12:18 pm. Now, at 8:15 pm I had to log in again to make this post.

Guest BillAdams

I thought I would bump this back to the top. Has anyone had any additional thoughts on why this might be happening?

Bill,

I was experiencing the same need to re-log in-- sometimes in the middle of a post.

But, I have not experienced this in the last 10+ days.

Is this still an ongoing issue for you?

Brett

I am still having to log in about once a day, often the next AM after being on the forum in the late evening.

Guest BillAdams

Yes. It's completely random. Some days yes. Some days no. Some days 2-3 times per day. Usually, it's at least once per day.