Rabbar

Protection For Tow Vehicle

I have a class A motorhome,2011 Forest River Georgetown, that I am Towing a 2011 Jeep Liberty behind.

I have put an additional full mud flap on the back of the RV but still have debris hitting my vehicle. So far one broken windshield and numerous nicks to the bumper.

Any suggestions on a defector to stop the bombardment?

What kind of tow bar are you using. I know that Roadmaster has two kinds of shields to protect the towed vehicle. One is a shield that sits on top of the tow bar brackets (on the car) and protects the front end. The other is some kind of screen that attaches under the tow bar and prevents rocks and other road debris from getting up high enough to hit the car. I HAVE NOT USED either of these; only seen them on their website.

Try googling for Roadmaster tow bars and then search the site for accessories. Don't know if their tow shields will fit other brands of towbars or not. Other tow bar companies may have similar offerings.

You can also get those heavy vinyl bras to protect the front end. Some even have a large flap that covers the windshield. I have never used this product either, but have seen comments on some forums that say they will wear the paint on the car where the bra rubs when the wind makes the bra flap around.

Hope this is helpful.

Jack

I have been having a similar problem. A friend told me to try the Protect a Tow. He has used it for a while with no problems. I have ordered one.

We have used both of the Roadmaster products described above when we went to Alaska round trip. We really like the shield, called the Roadmaster Guardian, that sits on the tow bar, but the other screen seemed to just collect rocks on top of it. This is the link to see the Guardian.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/protection_storage/protect_store.html

Also used a Tow Shield from Coastline - went 60 days in a caravan thru Canada and Alaska - really rough roads - gravel and dirt in most places - no damage what so ever - takes a little longer to affix to vehicle but really is effective - I bought mine used (1X) and got a good deal but they are made for specific vehicles so the fit is perfect!

Would highly recommend if you do not want any damage to your toad --

I tow a 99 Silverado and I cover the front with 2 camping sleep mats from Walmart at a cost of about $7 each and secure them to the front end with 6 ft bungee cords. Total investment of $20 and no damage whatsoever. Been through Alaska and most of the other states in 12 years with this system.

There is really no total protection for a car being towed behind an RV. If you've ever found yourself close behind a large truck, you know why. Even at a distance of 40 or 50 feet, you get pelted with bits of sand and debris. When you tow your car you are literally pinning it's nose to the rear of your motor home. We have used a Roadmaster Guardian shield since towing. Despite this, in some road conditions we will find bits of small gravel and sand on the windshield. Before we went to Alaska in 2006 we went to Coastline Cover Company, now doing business as Coastline RV and Off Road. We went to their facility and had a tow car cover made for our toad. We used it for the remaining life of that car. It did provide good protection but also caused some scuffing of the paint and clouded the headlight lenses. This was noticeable but we towed that car for over 100,000 miles. We haven't had one made for the current toad. Besides the scuffing of paint, the current toad requires replacing fuses and starting it each morning it is being towed so that would require removing the cover every morning we are on the road with the tow. If you travels don't have you traveling day after day frequently then this situation wouldn't be a concern. So far, the Guardian has done fine protecting this toad.

There is one other problem with debris while towing, small sand and dust will accumulate on the side windows. The brushes on the outside of the window slot on our first toad would collect this material and the side windows would be scratched by the particles. I think you will find this to be a concern despite any protection you put on the front of the toad.

If a trailer weren't such a hassle I would carry the toad in a trailer but we travel frequently and dealing with a trailer day after day is more trouble than I want.

I had to return the protect-a-tow. Would not work with rear exhaust on our DP. Expensive mistake paying freight to return it to Canada. I am going with the Blue Ox rock protector that mounts on the tow bar right in front of the car. Not sure if this will protect the bottom of my car to my satisfaction. I may add a piece of belting or like product to the bottom of the shield. I have had a lot of problems with the solid mounted rock guard on the back of our motorhome kicking up debris at our car. I am going to take that off and try mud flaps behind the rear duels instead.

On my Jeep Liberty I used a furniture moving cover from Harbor Freight over the windshield and closed both front doors on it to hold it in place. It worked great, not only did it protect the windshield from chips, it kept it clean. In fact when running from NE storms the rest of the Jeep got filthy including the side windows and mirrors that I couldn't see out of but the windshield was fine.

That will be my tip for the month. :D

I have used the Protect-a-tow for 4 years now and have had good results. I like the ease of installation(only a couple of minutes to install or remove) and the effectiveness. Only minimal new road damage since getting it. Relatively inexpensive as well(around $225). I see RoadMaster came out with a similar one costing about twice as much but it looks more robust.

Jim Boguslaw

07 Country Coach Tribute

08 Jeep Liberty

BlueOX towbar with Protect-a-tow

Hello folks,

I just bought my first Motorhome and am rigging out a Honda CRV to flat tow.

Would a shield be a good investment?

Thanks,

Norm