lherlocker

Allison Transmission Codes

I've got an '07 HR Ambassador with the Allison 3000 series transmission with 60K miles. On a recent trip, about 300 miles into the day's travel, wife and I stopped to make a sandwich at rest area along highway. Coach was left running, in neutral with brake set. Been there a couple of minutes when I noticed the 'Check Trans' light illuminated on dash with '++' showing in transmission selector display area. Light stayed on for approx 15 seconds, went off and selector returned to 'NN'. A minute or so later the warning light returned as well as the '++' display. This cycled several times over the next few minutes. Considering that it was rather late at night, raining and we really needed to get on down the road, I waited until the warnings disappeared and the selector returned to normal, I then hit the 'D' button and we were on the way.

Transmission seemed to operated normally for the rest of the evening and in further travels several days later.

Any idea as to what the '++' code means and should I be concerned for further transmission damage?

lherlocker,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The "snake eyes" indicate a problem with shift pad, ECM or wiring, with voltage to the Allison ECM being one of the more common issues.

To check for actual diagnostic codes:

With ignition on, engine off, push the up and down arrows at the same time-- this will bring up the "fluid level" (which you will skip past).

Push the up and down arrow AGAIN at the same time to bring up the diagnostic codes.

It will show as d-1 followed by any stored diagnostic code. If no codes it will show d-1, then - -. If a d-1 code, write it down. Then push the mode button to bring up d-2, etc until you get the - -.

You can just turn off the ignition to exit or push D.

I'm a newbie on this forum also.  I have a Cummins turbo diesel with the Allison transmission also.  I was looking how to find the codes and you answered that.  I tried it but I had the engine running.  Do I have to set up the RPM ranges for the gears or is this done automatically?  I also turn off the batteries when not in use and in storage, will the transmission codes if any reset by doing this.

I just bought the 89 Holiday Rambler and the engine or transmission just kinda dies and won't have any throttle response, then it will all of a sudden resume.  I don't know if it's turbo lag, transmission, lack of air intake or what.  I originally was searching and found one of your posts which led me to this forum and becoming a member of this community.  

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

holiday-rambler-awning.png

holiday-rambler-endeavor.png

Strats,

Your 1989 Allison will not be an electronic 6 speed transmission, but one of their mechanical 4 speed transmissions.

It is a basic mechanical transmission and very well built.

Strats,

Welcome to the forum.

Hard to say what is causing your lag. Have you done your basic maintenance? Have you changed your fuel filters,air filter? Have you driven another coach of this vintage to see if they compare performance wise?

Bill

17 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Strats,

Your 1989 Allison will not be an electronic 6 speed transmission, but one of their mechanical 4 speed transmissions.

It is a basic mechanical transmission and very well built.

When I put the transmission into D for drive,(push button with D N R arrows and mode) it shows 6 and it does go through all six gears.  I checked for codes today.  It flashes 7 - 0, then blinks 0 - L.  No codes through D-1 up through D-5, no D6.  It drove fine the first couple shorter trips we went on.  The trip from Cincinnati to Ft. Meyers it hickuped a few times on the way down.  On the way back it was raining cat's and dogs.  My turn signals quick working and I bought gas at a off the highway gas station that big trucks couldn't pull into because of the size station and that gas really made it run worse.  All the maintenance was done before I bought it so the previous owner said. New head gasket etc.  Over 7,000.00 in repairs. I haven't had the opportunity to check fuses ect yet because of surgery and extreme cold weather since out New Years trip to Florida. I have read the turn signal wiring carries other circuits also so that may come into play also.  I have put 2,600 miles on it since early December.  Starts right up, idles fine, just at mid range it intermittently will just do nothing.  When getting a run at a hill it will start to climb and then nothing, play with the throttle and all of a sudden it will go again.  I have put fuel injector cleaner into the tank and have let it idle to try to help with the bad gas after running out the bad stuff. I didn't even realize that I live 10 minutes from the FMCA headquarters in Cincinnati.  Thanks for the warm welcome.

That has to be one interesting 1989 coach.  The Allison 6 speed electronic transmission would not even be on the market for a couple of years after that.

Is the drivetrain OE or has it been replaced.

OK, yes you will have the 3000 series Allison in a 1998. The 1989 has us thrown-- since the electronic 3000 series was not even in development back then.

OL and 70 indicate that the transmission is too cold for an accurate fluid level to be done. Usually have to drive at least 25 highway miles before the electronic fluid level sensor will activate.

What engine do you have?

If issues when you go to WOT (wide open throttle) change the fuel filters.  If they are starting to clog, the symptoms will first appear when you call for max fuel flow rate.

I believe its the 275HP Cummings turbo diesel, Is there a plate or way to determine which engine?  Two gas filters?  One in the side compartment and one in the engine compartment.  I have never drained the water out of the filter either.  Is that done with the engine running or not running.  I understand the fuel line  is under extremely high pressure.  The previous owner said he did it at first but never got any water out of it so he stopped and told me not to bother.  Maybe that has to do with the filters clogging.  This is my first diesel and I didn't realize the difference in the torque, shift points and throttle.  I have fast cars that you put the peddle to the floor and they go.  Diesel are so different.  First turbo also.  Thanks for your input.  You guys are awesome.  I'll get all this down when warmer weather hits.  I was getting nervous with the new purchase not running well and not able to do anything about it while laid up.

That would be a CUMMINS (no g) B engine.

Unless you know the age and condition of the two fuel filters, change both of them.

Draining and/or changing is ONLY with the engine OFF.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Brett, would that also have the filter/strainer on the frame since its a "B" series?

No.

Here is what I have on the 3rd filter/strainer, and only on Freightliner chassis:

•Cummins Fuel Strainer: Every Cummins ISB02 RV from FCCC since 9/2002 has a fuel strainer/filter on frame rail: 025-RAC 10.

Thanks for your help.  I was able to pick up the filter at Cummins today.  I replaced both filter's without any problems.  The coach runs great now.  I checked the codes after taking a nice 50 mile drive and it showed  5--0.  No codes in D1, 2, 3.4 or 5.  Can you tell me what this code is? I don't see a fault code for that 5--0.  Thanks again!

The codes are different based on which "generation" Allison you have.  One of my Allison books says that 4th generation Allisons are in '09 models, but doesn't say what years that covers.  Get your Allison serial number and call them, they'll have all that information.

The coach ran great for 2.5 hours but started starving for fuel again.  Can a filter get plugged up in a couple hundred miles?  Also showing a 7--0 code.  Any help appreciated!  Cummins didn't have the drain to the front filter so I had to go back with a NAPA brand filter.  That's what was on there already so I had a filter number know which filter to put on.

Strats,

Please modify your signature to reflect what coach you have.

And, certainly, if you have contaminated fuel, a new filter can clog very quickly.

Also, let us know what year your chassis is and whether it is a Freightliner. It is common on Freightliner chassis with the ISB to have a THIRD fuel filter on the frame rail, forward of the two filters you see.

You had posted earlier in this thread that my 1998 doesn't have the third filter.  It's 9/2002 and newer.  Is that correct?

Thanks, I appreciate it.  We really are enjoying the coach but just have a few glitches to take care of but was expecting to have to do a few things to get it the way I want it.

My coach has a fault code of O - - L   7 - - 0.  I looked up the code on the fault code sheet for the 3000 MH transmission and it states to reset the ECU.  Is this correct?  I turned off both battery banks and that didn't reset it.  I also disconnected the positive side on the engine batteries and it still didn't reset.  Am I looking at the right code and if so how do I reset the ECU.

No, O.. L... 7...0 is NOT a diagnostic code.  It is for checking oil level and the 70 means that oil is not up to operating temperature.

To access diagnostic codes, push the up and down arrows AGAIN. That will bring up d-1 and any diagnostic codes.