rv grandma

Winnebago 35A or Itasca 38J?

I have been driving a 38' foot DP for several years and have loved every minute of driving and living in it. Unfortunately it is old and dying. I can't afford another DP, so am looking at a 2006 Winnebago 35A and a 2005 Itasca 38J. I like both, but the 38J has the slight edge. Researching, they don't seem to be terribly different in weight - I can't find an actual on either. They are equipped identically, both with the Workhorse and Allison tranny, and the price difference is minimal. Question is -- will I notice a significant difference in performance (especially long climbs) and mileage between the two? How about turning ratio? The 38J has a longer wheelbase. Most of the time my trips will be fairly short; lots of boon docking. Two major trips each year -- one over the Sierras and the other over the Siskiyou's, so climbing will be an issue. Going from walking over mountains at 60 or 65 to having to downshift to get over at 50 or 55 will be an adjustment and coming down from 10-12 m/g (yes, it did get that!) to 7 is enough without compounding things by buying a coach that is too long and heavy for the engine. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Been looking awhile. Affordable = aged. I've been there. Can't afford to do it again. When my husband was alive, he handled repairs well -- I can't. So . . .

RV grandma,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Could you post the Make and Model of you current coach for the group!

Them we can compare it to the 2 models you asked about and offer some better information on how they might compare to what you currently are familiar with.

Rich.

Rich,

Thanks for the welcome.

My current rig is a 38' '94 Safari Serengeti with a 350(?) Cummins and a Banks system that takes it up to 400 hp. Lots of torque, no slides, so relatively light. Old, but truly a delight to handle and VERY comfortable. They don't put kitchens in the new rigs like I have in mine!

We've put a lot of $ into new seals in the engine, a new inverter, and lots of little things that add up. Last straw was a leak in the brakes and in the dash air (likely the compressor). Bottom line, I am now alone, and I don't trust it to not give me trouble when I'm out and about. Like people, no matter how well you are built and taken care of, age has a way of breaking you down!

I would prefer to go back into a diesel, but that puts me into the 2002 or lower range for a quality coach in good shape, and I'm afraid I'm going to put myself back in the soup. Hence, the Winne and the Itasca are options.

You may be better off staying with what you have and search for a good semi retired mechanic to repair what you have.

You may be buying someone else's can of worms going to a used RV.

I love your determination to remain an RV'er. I agree with previous posts. Fix the rough spots done by someone you can trust. Mechanics like that are out there. You will have a home on wheels that you know, and after the repairs you will get away with money saved compared to buying a "new to you" rv. You have True Grit!

Quick search shows both of the listed coaches go between 55-65,000 that will by a LOT of repairs on a coach you have and like.

Bill

I really hear what you are saying about repairing what I have. It's been my attitude since we bought this coach. But the reality is . . . I have put over $30,000 dollars into repairs on my Safari in the past two years and am looking at another $8 - $10,000 in repairs on the brakes and air and power steering to get it ready for this summer. That's well over half the cost of a newer coach, and there is no guarantee I won't have something else major crop up tomorrow.

All of the repairs so far have been age-related: engine seals that disintegrated, plastic overflow tank that disintegrated, windshield washer tank that fell apart, hoses that collapse, leaking lines that are failing from corrosion, wiring connections that need new solder and caps, roof shrouds that are sun rotted, an on and on.

Finding parts is difficult -- we had to have the overflow tank custom made to fit as an example. On a coach that is worth $14,000 dollars, this is not making sense to me any more. It kills me to let go, but I am at a point where general maintenance has a whole new meaning!

And, I travel alone a lot of the time. That's scary enough without worrying about a break-down in the middle of the Nevada desert. Besides which, financing a small loan gets me the write-off on the interest and on the depreciation on the coach, which is better than the nothing I am getting now on what I have to invest to stay on the road.

And yes, I may be buying someone else's can of worms, but they are worms that are 12 years younger than the ones I already have, and I can get a warranty on the newer coach to help with some of those worms. So, back to my original question. Does anyone have an opinion on the performance I would get between a 36'foot and a 38+' coach with the workhorse engine and an Allison transmission?

Another thought would be a ClassC. There are some nice ones on the used market. The power train can be worked on in far more places than a Class A. Especially a diesel pusher. I would probably downsize if I found myself alone. Hope that never happens.

Rich,

Thanks for the welcome.

My current rig is a 38' '94 Safari Serengeti with a 350(?) Cummins and a Banks system that takes it up to 400 hp. Lots of torque, no slides, so relatively light. Old, but truly a delight to handle and VERY comfortable. They don't put kitchens in the new rigs like I have in mine!

We've put a lot of $ into new seals in the engine, a new inverter, and lots of little things that add up. Last straw was a leak in the brakes and in the dash air (likely the compressor). Bottom line, I am now alone, and I don't trust it to not give me trouble when I'm out and about. Like people, no matter how well you are built and taken care of, age has a way of breaking you down!

I would prefer to go back into a diesel, but that puts me into the 2002 or lower range for a quality coach in good shape, and I'm afraid I'm going to put myself back in the soup. Hence, the Winne and the Itasca are options.

Just got through reading you reply!

Not knowing what items or hobbies you like, I,m wondering if something in a class B might meet your needs. Some models come with diesel engines that would provide a good amount of torque if you wish to pull a small Towd and the diesel would get you a good MPG number.

The Class B's will go where the Safari would be something you would not just drive to the store for sure.

If you are a member of FMCA, then you get the FMC Magazine that you might want to look at regarding use coaches for sale.

See you live in the Southwest and should you find a possible replacement or would like a good evaluation of the Serengeti. you might try to contact Dave A. and if you think that might be an option - please send me a PM and I will see if I can get you in contact with him. One retired mechanic that can fix just about anything !

Rich.

Thanks Rich. I'm in Northern California. I've looked at B's and C's. Not going to do it for me, I need an easy chair and room in the kitchen to put a coffee pot on the counter and make a sandwich without having to close up the sink. Some of the new crossovers appeal, but too many $$.

We had a 2012 WB 35F and I can tell you that you won't be going 55 up mountains unless you get a real good running start:)
I will probably catch some flak for this but you might want to consider a newer Ford chassis. The Workhouse was a great chassis and engine, but......they don't make either anymore and parts and repairs are just going to get harder to find...

To answer your specific question, at highway speeds on flat ground most of the HP demand (read that fuel consumed) is due to Aerodynamic Resistance. Very little difference between the two coaches, as frontal area is virtually the same.

On grades, weight is the factor demanding the significant increase in HP demand. So, yes the longer coach will be a little slower. But, I would not think the difference should outweigh other factors. Said another way, I would rather see you in a clean 38 than a neglected 35.

Thank you!! That's what I wanted to know. Both coaches are spotless (or so they appear). Just a preference for the 38' floor plan.

Hi RV Grandma,

I am new to this forum but not new to your problem. I am a native Californian, now living in Olympia, WA, but I know the Sierra Nevada's like the back of my hand. I own and drive a Winnebago Adventurer 38J. I have had the engine "tuned up" by Brazil's RV in Centralia, WA. They installed a "Ultra Power" chip which pumped up my 8.1L GM by about 60 HP. However, that is not enough to make it stay with any diesel pusher. But it will cruise with the best of them, but I just cannot hang with them on the hills. Nor do I choose to. We just got back from a trip to Utah ( saw the 5 NP +) and went over a couple of passes that were at the 9000' + elevation. It was easy, breezy but you can't push it to hard, nor would you want to. Point is we made good time, averaged around 10-12 mpg through out the trip and had a great time.

All that said, if I were alone/single I would drop down to the 35' size MH. The 38J is a great floor plan (3 slides) but the length and weight is more than one person really needs, IMHO. It is not that that my 38J is tough to handle, if fact it is a dream to drive, like sitting in a rocking chair. I fact it does have a single recliner right behind the drivers seat that I absolutely love. But it is long and it does hit the 30,000" scales. On the long uphill pulls it works best if I take it out of cruise control and work the throttle and transmission that way I want it to run. All it takes is a little practice, but I rarely let the engine get or 3000-3500 rpm, on the uphill climbs.

If I were to do it all over again, I think I would go with the DP. What I would really like is the Seneca with the Freightliner Chassis, but from what I read, that may be a little more than you would like to spend. The reason I would go with the Freightliner chassis, is because my wife will not drive the Adventurer because she does not like sitting over the front axle and it is to high and to long for her. That does not seem to be your problem, but the 38J's are tall and long. Ours tapes measures out at 39' 7" and 12' 3" tall.

I hope this helps you.

If you have any questions you can email me at dean.garzot@yahoo.com and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Dean Garzot

aka - The Toads

Thank you, Dean. Really valuable information. Yesterday I found a 34' Holiday Rambler, 2006, with a 5.9L Cummins and only 21,000 miles. I negotiated the price to where it is actually a little below what I'd have paid for the Winnebago 35A, and as of this afternoon, it is mine. I've lost the "wow" floor plan in the Winnie, but what I have is going to be comfortable and more than adequate for me. And. . . I am SO content and relieved to be back in the diesel I really wanted. I drove it today -- it's a snappy, smooth, responsive ride. I can add a chip down the road if I need more horsepower, but at 34' I think the 300hp I have will be more than enough.

I want to thank all of you who responded to my query. Lots of thought-provking opinions that got me looking again -- and look what that resulted it! My best to all, and may you be always happy on the road. Julie

I bought the Adventurer. Lost my easy chair and my big kitchen, but I'm content. I had to chuckle at my son last night. He's been with me all the way on this purchase, playing "devil's advocate", and encouraging me to use reason and not emotion on this purchase. He said, "Dad would have been proud of you, Mom. You bought the engine." He's right! Hope I love that engine as much as I think I will!

I have been following this post and your last comment put a big smile on my face. I have to say.......Congratulations! Enjoy, like Herman said, "don't forget to wave"