manholt

Generator

I have a Diesel 10kw Onan with 164 hours since last service. I get it serviced at or near 150. Yesterday, when I

started it up, I got a large puff of blue smoke, then it ran fine. I plan on adding oil this morning, as it will be another

20 +/- hours before I can get service!

What would indicate blue smoke? Something to worry about or just cold? Outside temp was 38. Gen has 1,183 hrs.

Carl

I bet it is just because it is cold. Why are you adding oil? was it low? Did you check it before starting? Have you been doing your regular Exercise routine with your generator (following your owners hand book) or was this a "because I need power run"?

I wouldn't worry about being a little over on the service time.

Bill

I have a Diesel 10kw Onan with 164 hours since last service. I get it serviced at or near 150. Yesterday, when I

started it up, I got a large puff of blue smoke, then it ran fine. I plan on adding oil this morning, as it will be another

20 +/- hours before I can get service!

What would indicate blue smoke? Something to worry about or just cold? Outside temp was 38. Gen has 1,183 hrs.

Carl

I go with Bill regarding the blue smoke. Always good to check the oil level when the unit has set for a time.

After it started and run for a time, did you shut it down and try a restart? did it start right up?

When you have the unit serviced - make sure they clean the spark arrester - by removing the system plug in the exhaust system and running the generator under a heavy load.

This will clean the soot buildup from the system and it does not take a lot of soot in the wrong place to cause issues.

Rich.

Bill, Rich.

I run my generator when I'm driving and it had only been off for 26 hours while I was at TCC. I checked the oil yesterday morning and it was OK.

After the blue smoke, it worked as normal, with a full cycling load, I run with electric heater on when it's cold to me. probably "Balmy" to Joe!

The last time I had a puff of blue, it quit running & I had to get new bushings installed...$890!

Carl

Probably cold start...from a diesel site:

Blue smoke:

Blue smoke is caused by engine lubricating oil burning. The oil can enter the combustion chamber from several sources including:

· Worn valve guides, or seals
· Cylinder &/or piston ring wear
· Cylinder glaze
· Piston ring sticking
· Incorrect grade of oil .. too thin and getting past rings, or valves guides
· Fuel dilution of the oil, making it too thin.

Blue smoke is often evident at cold start, which can reflect reduced oil control due to carbon fouling deposits around the piston rings and/or cylinder glaze. Blue smoke should not be evident at any stage.
An engine may burn oil without the evidence of blue smoke, because good compression burns oil quite cleanly, however, it is not acceptable for any new engine, or engine in good internal condition to burn large amounts of lubricating oil.

Sometimes, it is difficult to differentiate between black smoke (unburned fuel at start up on a diesel) and blue smoke (yes, most likely oil).

But, my answer would be to do NOTHING at this point. Wait for warm weather and start it. Pay very close attention to both color and smell of exhaust. Burning oil smells very different than unburned diesel.

If unburned fuel, could be just cold temperatures, or could be bad glow plug(s). Easy to check glow plugs and glow plug relay once generator is accessed.

Sometimes, it is difficult to differentiate between black smoke (unburned fuel at start up on a diesel) and blue smoke (yes, most likely oil).

But, my answer would be to do NOTHING at this point. Wait for warm weather and start it. Pay very close attention to both color and smell of exhaust. Burning oil smells very different than unburned diesel.

If unburned fuel, could be just cold temperatures, or could be bad glow plug(s). Easy to check glow plugs and glow plug relay once generator is accessed.

Carl, From the information you have posted and combining that with Brett's thoughts.

You might want to check for any restriction(S) in the exhaust system.

Thinking that there is a possibility the glow plugs might be gummed up with soot, along with the exhaust valves. The service was performed not that long ago per your OP.

Checking the exhaust system does not require removing the generator, if yours is not mounted on a slid out>

Not nice riding around in a cold coach for sure.

Might want to ride down towards Key West for a few weeks.

Rich.

I still don't think there is any thing wrong with your generator. I just think it was cold 38 is cold for a diesel. I have seen many tractors and trucks that put out a bunch of blue diesel smoke till they warm up. I ran my generator to day. I didn't get any blue smoke but it was 72. :D

Bill

Thank you all,

I'm in CG, Sunset Point, Marble Falls, TX. great place...will start it today, suppose to be 77 :D !

Carl

Bill, Rich.

I run my generator when I'm driving and it had only been off for 26 hours while I was at TCC. I checked the oil yesterday morning and it was OK.

After the blue smoke, it worked as normal, with a full cycling load, I run with electric heater on when it's cold to me. probably "Balmy" to Joe!

The last time I had a puff of blue, it quit running & I had to get new bushings installed...$890!

Carl

Why are you not running the gas furnace? Much cheaper and will keep you warmer. :D

Bill

Bill.

What "gas" furnace? I'm all electric, with Aqua Hot and it's diesel....gen gives me heat pump and refrigerator that stays cold!

Carl

Bill,

We have the Aqua Hot in our coach and had problem after problem. Finally Lloyd DeGerald found the problem. Since Lloyd repaired the unit in Madison it has worked like a charm. Aqua Hot is a great system but requires a lot of tender loving care. Serviced every year and exercised at least once a month.

As for running the generator while going down the road for heat or a/c, the DW and I have a curtain that we put up behind our seats when traveling down the road. It keep the heat and or the cool from the dash unit up front. When we are close to our destination we might crank up the gen. to run the A/C to cool the coach down or turn on the Aqua Hot to warn up the coach.

A properly functioning Aqua Hot will give you instant and unlimited Hot Water and will warm the coach from floor vents. It will used the heat from the engine to keep the unit warm when traveling, will operate on both diesel and electric.

All in all I will give it a thumbs up.

Herman

Herman,

I agree on the Aqua hot and whether I'm on it or heat pumps in cold (too me) weather, I also want my food to stay cool and or frozen. I also hate melting ice cubes! <_<

The same applies when it's summer and hot (90+/=) , humid conditions! In West Texas, I'll run the dash air since I don't have "swamp coolers"! :(

Hope we answered your question Bill. :)

Carl

Herman, that is good info. I just haven't moved into the modern world of all electric RVing. I haven't used a curtain but do shut the door to the back and run the air control on recirculate. I don't have a problem using the furnace if it is cold or the roof air (and generator) if it gets to hot.

Carl, I would think the refrigerator would run off the batteries and inverter while going down the road. As a side note Herman and I hate soft melting ice cream.

"The same applies when it's summer and hot (90+/=) , humid conditions! In West Texas, I'll run the dash air since I don't have "swamp coolers"! :("

Carl, 90deg is a nice warm spring day. :rolleyes: I have lived with swamp coolers, I now prefer that "refrigerated air" :P Now, year before last, I was in Phoenix Az. and it was a warmish 112 I ran the roof air and the dash air and wished I had a extra swamp cooler to. :)

Bill

Only time I'll take "soft melting ice cream" is when it's on apple pie or a cobbler! Blue Bell comes to mind. :wub: I do not go to AZ in summer!

Carl

The Aqua Hot is a great system, we are have our second unit. Couple of more thoughts to add to Herman's. When running the AH going down the road, it will heat the coach only if it is not too cold. If cold you have to turn the burner on. Also, most of us have the 450 series AH. One of it's shortcomings is that when running the burner for heat, and you turn on a hot water faucet, the heat feature shuts down until the demand for hot water is gone...then the heat resumes its heating. If you have the 600 series AH, it will run both hot water and heat.

Carl...you need to break down and get a residential refer. :)

FIVE. I have a Whirlpool Gold, 23cu. ft. Ice/water dispenser in door! Oh, did I mention that I have electric day/night shades on all windows! Like you, I'm up town on the East side! :P:rolleyes::lol:

Carl

FIVE. I have a Whirlpool Gold, 23cu. ft. Ice/water dispenser in door! Oh, did I mention that I have electric day/night shades on all windows! Like you, I'm up town on the East side! :P:rolleyes::lol:

Carl

Okay, I just read the earlier posts where you said you are all electric. Your comments about soft ice cream made me think old style refer...don't you run the inverter...no need to fire up the genny?

Carl,

Where are you, more questions here... What kind of amp draw for this refrigerator that you are using. I wonder if it would be suitable for a coach used for dry camping. Does this unit fit the cavity for a Norcold double door vintage 99/02 since you do not have a date on your coach.

How did you get it in the coach, thru the door or a window? Just contemplating for down the road.

Bill

Bill, I run a GE residential refrigerator. We have not dry camped with it, when I installed it in 2014 I let it cool down in at home on battery to see how long it would go. We have an auto start/stop generator and after 7 hours I was at 65% on the batteries. It was not a fair test since the unit was warm and it was 80 degrees outside so it was working harder than usual but it gave me a ruff estimate on what to expect. I will say running down the road on the inverter has not been a problem either. The model we settled on is basic and one feature by design I liked was the location of everything for service, its all accessible from the side wall access panel. No modifications had to be made to fit it in I just trimmed it when I was complete so it looked like it belonged.

FIVE. Yes I run my Inverter, but the inverter can't run heat pumps, so when cold or hot, I'll run gen. to get both or a variation off all 3 choices...like Aqua Hot and refrigerator.

One time, I had AH and tile heat on...going down the road! :D

Carl