manholt

Carpenter Advice Needed

I have a lot off inset screw holes with little mushroom plugs that keep falling out. What I need is something to put on screws to prevent them from getting loose so that I can put a dab of Elmer's glue on each plug!

Also screws for valance boxes to prevent rattle.

Shake, rattle and roll!

Carl

Carl,

When you are putting a screw back in, always start them by hand. This way the threads will go back to the original cut. Too many times with a power screw driver will break down the wood fibers and leave no strength to hold a screw tight. Remember what ever you put on to keep a screw tight, might also prevent it from being able to be removed if needed to be done again.

If a screw hole is really loose you can always insert a toothpick in the hole before reinserting the screw. Small holes use a flat toothpick and a round one on larger holes.

Good luck,

Herman

I usually use piece of seasoned oak wood, split down to the screw hole size, tap it in with a small hammer to completely fill the hole, then as Herman says hand screw the screw back in.

OK, that makes good sense...what about the "little mushroom head caps"?? They are driving me nuts :P more than I already am! :rolleyes:

Carl

OK, that makes good sense...what about the "little mushroom head caps"?? They are driving me nuts :P more than I already am! :rolleyes:

Carl

The "mushroom head caps" are bungs....http://www.bing.com/search?q=bungs&go=Submit&qs=bs&form=QBLH

I don't glue them, you might need to get to the screw behind the bung. I push it in by hand, then tap it with the butt end of a screw driver. That way it's in there tight enough so that it won't fall out, yet you can still get it out if necessary.

And, I put a teaspoon of Elmers glue on a piece of throw away plastic and LIGHTLY dip the end of the bung in the glue. It is enough to hold it in place, but can still easily be removed.

Done this on the boat and on the motorhome.

If the wood is already finished, and assume that yours will be, I sometimes use a small dob of clear silicone caulk in the hole over the screw head then push the cover into place. I do mean a "SMALL DOB".

I went to my RV garage Sunday to put some winter clothing in. Then opened the drawer that is the home for 29 bunges, Elmer's glue and a small head rubber hammer. I then took a bunge to a hole and screamed...the little SOB did not fit. After 16 try's, I found the right hole! <_<

Why, why, why does the manufacturers do this to us? Can't they use one size fits all? The screws are all the same size! :angry::wacko:

Carl

OK. The screws where all tight and after 4 hours off <_< all the "bungs" are in place with a little Elmer's. :mellow: Thank you Brett.

Also, thanks to all! Now, I can carry on with all the cabinets in kitchen that are sticking...I know how to do that, been there!

Carl