MLnDavo

Combo Washer Dryer Experiences

We are getting very different answers from salesmen on the single unit washer/dryer combo.

The answers vary from great for travel to good but slow and all the way down to total junk and not worth having. For those of you with more experience, what are your opinions and experiences for full timing?

Hold out for a stackable or is the single going to be enough for the two of us?

I had a combo once and it would not keep up with me...shorts, golf shirt underwear and socks, OK. Long pants, towels, bedding, Not OK!

I have stackable now and love it. Wash up to 13 pounds, dry to 23 pounds. The only thing I take out to wash is a load of towels, blanket and jeans! I run a load about every 10 days. If I was full time in coach, probably once a week avg. It uses 3/4 Tspoon of soap per wash.

Carl

Stackables and combo units are both OK. If looking at a MH that you like everything else then the washer wont make a big differance. The one draw back on the combo is the venting. If the dtyer vents to the outside then it is OK, however the ones that recirculate the hot air seems to never dry the clothes. All it does is recirculate hot damp air.

Carl is correct :rolleyes: about full timing. If we were to go full time then we might consider swapping our combo for a stackable set.

Herman

We thought having a washer/dryer combo would be a hot ticket for traveling. So, we had one installed in our coach before taking delivery. That was 10.5 years ago. We've only used three times since then. With zero times in probably the past eight years or so.

What we found is you can only wash one large towel or a pair of jeans at a time and it takes most of the afternoon for that load to get done. As Herman mentions above, our coach's dryer is vented to the outside but we still had to "air-dry" after machine drying.

We prefer to use the campground Laundromat which is a lot faster.

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for serving our country!

Blake

Our coach had a combo when we bought it - we removed it 2 years ago. It did not have the capacity we need fulltiming. I wear jeans most of the time and could wash and dry one pair at a time. And 90 minutes drying time. Really did not want to wash everyday.

We usually go to a laundromat wherever we are every 2 weeks - much more simple and less noise in the coach.

We full timed for almost 10 years and had a the typical Splendide washer/dryer. Ours was vented. We used a similar model in both motor homes we had during that time and we still use it. When we are traveling, we'll hold laundry to be done when we have full hookups and then Louise will hit the laundry hard, running loads one after another. If something isn't quite dry it gets hung out in the motor home, the shower is a common area we use. I have a rod that fits across the top of the shower that will accommodate plastic hangers. There are times when she will just leave a load in for an additional run in the dryer, it just depends on her schedule and how many other loads she has to run. She does bedding in several washes, you can't put all the sheets and pillow cases in a load and have it come out clean and dry. There is a convenience factor that Louise appreciates. She isn't sitting around watching the washer/dryer, it beeps when done and then she can attend it. We've had to use the equipment in parks from time to time, large loads, special needs, etc. We much prefer the ability to wash at "home."

The W/D in our new motor home died about three years after we started using it. Camping World came out and did a repair on site at that time. About a year and a half later it died again. I talked to the tech at Splendide and he indicated it was a control board failure (same as first time). They sent out a new control board at our expense but he also included a new pigtail. He stated that the pigtail should have been replaced before. The connection with the board if it isn't good will corrode and cause overheating of the board. So Camping World should have replaced that pigtail when they did the job. This time I did the replacement myself. I carefully treated the connectors with anti corrosive electrical grease. The W/D is still working today.

At the time of that second repair I considered converting to a stacking set but Louise wanted the additional closet space. The replacement control board was cheaper than the W/D pair for a stacking unit so I decided to give the Splendide one more trial. If it ever fails completely, I'll likely convert as the dual units would be cheaper than the combo Splendide unit. In any event, we would definitely have a washer/dryer in our motor home.

As you can see from above comments, it is a personal decision. Consider your own habits of motor home travel. Are you rarely connected to full hookups? Are you moving frequently or do you stay in one place for an extended time? Are you comfortable with carrying or transporting the laundry to the campground laundry facilities? Those facilities vary considerably from non-existent to just a washer or two. Sometimes they aren't kept too clean and you just live with it. Sometimes large facilities in a nearby community work but you are at the laundromat until the load is finished. You will be feeding the washers and dryers money constantly and they have become more expensive over time.

We've used all the above options at one time or another for various reasons. Our default has always been to use the unit in the motor home.

We are on our third Splendide...two combo units and one stackable. All worked flawlessly. With the combo, the best way to use it is a small load every day or every other day. First thing in the AM, start a load. The stackable is a bit more flexible since you can wash a second load while the first is drying. We would not be without a W/D...so convenient and no sitting for hours in a laundromat...some of which are pretty dirty.

Tom said it, that settles it. I have the Splendide and when we had a problem I was told "we don't need it" well after the next short trip I got asked "when are you going to fix the washer?"

Well the fun part I found I needed a part before I could test the circuit board. This all happened less than 7 days before we headed north east. Called Splendide they couldn't get me the part before we left so had it shipped to an address in Road Island.

Well got the part and yes the circuit board was bad. Called same story, so had the part shipped to Maine. Replaced the board and it has run great since then. Now the aside on this is the damage to the Splendide happened because I didn't at the time have a Surge guard on the power supply. We were in Amarillo and I was reading with the washer running and saw the lights dim and come back up but the washer was toast.

We still use the park laundromat or go to town for big items like blankets or where we don't have hookups. No I will not be without my Splendide I have been told.

Bill

It's a needful thing! I rather do laundry in house on a rain day, than go back and forth to camp laundry! Ugh! Big loads to town and pick up after golf...I let them do it, cost about the same, especially if you consider the inconvenience of sitting and waiting! :)<_<

Carl

We had a Splendid 2000 series. If you turned the water on while driving the unit would fill up on its own, and eventually begin to leak as it overflowed. I called them for parts, since I thought it was a great thing the DW hated it. Splendid tech support told me I needed a new inlet water valve. The part had been discontinued, and there were none left on the shelf. They were kind to offer me a discount on a new unit, I passed. We wanted more drawer storage so I removed it and replaced it with drawers I had purchased from an Amish Furniture store. If it was a stackable I probably would have replaced it.

After 5 years without, we caught the newest 2100XC on sale. It's installed, and has already done 3 loads. So far, very nice not to be gathering a huge bag of wash to take out to do.

We have figured we need to change our sorting. Jeans are a load, bed items are a load, and towels a third load. After doing a mixed load of different weight fabrics together, we are switching to like kind weight of things. Cotton fishing shirts need ironing, but they always have, when done out. Jeans we just smooth flat and hang. Towels, just set the longer dry time, and they were dry and hot.

We are amazed by the quiet operation, and keep wanting to open the closet door to see if it is still running. So far we are happy.

We might miss meeting people while doing wash now, but can spend more time out and about.

We were first time users of the Splendide combo unit on our Winter Texan trip these past two months, and we loved it. It is super quite and does a good job of cleaning cloths. Did small loads every 3rd or 4th day, ran dryer about 20 min after the wash cycle to kinda fluff things up a bit, and then took cloths out and hung to dry on an extendable rack attached to the roof ladder. Our placement is kinda odd, but it works well for us. We did not want to give up closet space to the washer, and we were not using the space behind the passenger's seat so that's where the washer went. Not many RV living rooms have a washing machine front and center, but we enjoy having a place to set stuff when we come in from the store and we kept all the closet space. :)

Samsprott. Welcome to the Forum.

In 40+ years off class A's, I have never seen or heard of anyone putting a washer/dryer in living room! :lol: That's a Hoot!

What kind of coach do you have?

Carl

Hi Carl & Herman, thanks for the welcome. Why be boring, huh??

We're in a 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R on the WorkHorse chassis. We love the floor plan and weight carrying capacity. My wife, Sandy, writes and illustrates the Little Kicker Books for kids and the coach will carry over seventy cases or 2,000 pounds of her books as we travel to different gift and craft events. If you get a hoot out our location for the washer/dryer, you ought to see how we plumbed it :rolleyes:.

BTW, if you're interested, our web site is www.LittleKicker.com

My friend's Tiffin has it in the kitchen directly across from the Refrigerator. If it was boxed in behind the drivers seat I wouldn't mind.

Made me think of the old washers, you could keep in a closet or some place . When you wanted to use it you rolled it over to the sink and hooked up the water hoses and drain hose to do your wash.

Bill

We have been using our combo unit for 5 years now without problems. You do have to learn how much constitutes a load of the various items, and the amount of time to allow for drying. We wash everything in the unit. It does help to have clothing, etc. that does not require ironing. For jeans, we use pants stretchers to create a neat crease, and wear other clothing that does not require ironing. A stacked unit might allow us to clean more at one time, but we would have to give up storage space. Ours is vented to the outside.