RochelMontijano

Is Legal Documentation Required For Pets When Traveling?

Hi Everyone!

I am new at the forum and planning to get the services of fmca services for my travel to Miami. Actually, I husband is stationed at Fort Knox Base of Kentucky and in the mid of April, he will be at home on vacations that’s why we decided to go to Miami with both kids Allen & Jessica. However, I also want to take my kids’ pet Joffy with us but I don’t know fmca will allow or not. On the other hand, I also want to know, is any specific legal documentation will also be required in this regard.

I would be grateful for your suggestions & cooperation.

In regards to "normal" pets, like a dog or cat, I always carry the annual record of shots, in the event of boarding or going to Canada. FMCA to my knowledge, has always welcomed our pets as long as we pick up after them. I'm currently looking for a new dog, mine passed last year!

If your "pet" is some type of exotic animal, then it would be controlled by local ordinance.

Rochel,

Pets are welcomed at all FMCA events. :) Leashes and picking up are both required. :wub: There are enough dogs out there that when I am on the golf cart I always carry doggie treats. Some have even got to know my cart and will jump in as I am going by. :P

Herman

Herman, did any of the "jumpers" chock on their leash? I too have a vivid imagination and can just picture the dog jumping into cart, get treat and ZING, right back out! :blink::D

Hi Rochel,

Welcome to the Forum.

We always travel with our pets here in the States and have never been asked for documentation. However, we have been to some campgrounds that ask what type of dogs we have and how big they are when we check in. Once we say they are poodles we haven't been denied. Albeit they are standard poodles and leave large pasture patties that we have to pick up (Carl will like the reference to pasture patties).

Some campgrounds may ask for an additional fee per pets and children.

Enjoy your retirement and the States. We have a great country and many things to see here.

Blake

Rochel,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the link to military bases. Since you apparently are a military family, yes, take documentation for the pets. All of their shot records. If you decide to stay at military installation, many require proof of vaccination and ask for the paper work. Make some copies to give them should they ask.

Since you are just over 1000 miles from Miami you may be passing some military installation that have RV parking. They are good secure places to stop for the night or a couple days. Go to this web site to see if there are any along your route. Military Campgrounds If you meander to either coast of Florida you will have a few opportunities to stay at them. On the West Coast, the children would like Pensacola and the opportunity to see the Blue Angels practicing 1/2 mile from the campground on base. If you go to the East Coast of Florida, Mayport Naval Station is at the mouth of the Saint Johns River and they can watch the big ships coming and going. There are other military campgrounds along the way.

Enjoy your trip.

Rochel,

Welcome!

Most answers on here are very useful, others are out of fun. A bunch of us have been chatting back and forth for months/years and have become like extended family. Brett (moderator) has to chime in from time to time and get us back on track (we still love him none the less). In the end we try to go out of our way to help a fellow FMCA member or a Motorhome person seeking help, and maybe make another friend in the process. I view it as a circle, give and take so to speak, sometimes its me seeking help.

My wife and I introduced our children to this hobby when they were 6 and 8, now both are teens and can't wait for the next trip. Keep those memories flowing they grow up fast and enjoy all this country has to offer for recreation. I wish we would have started when they were younger, we have really had a lot of fun over the last eight years. Everyday I learn more and more from those that have been doing this longer and I really enjoy reading their experiences on these forums.

Thank you husband for us for his service to this country, there are also a lot of Veterans on here. If you have any questions feel free to post on anyone of the topics, there is a good chance someone will read it that had a similar experience and will send some advice your way.

Joe

My wife and I both wish that we had been introduced to the RV hobby while our two girls were growing up, they missed out on a lot of early life experiences because we did not have a clue back then.

And to your OP, we have four Yorkies that travel with us every place that we go. We do keep their vaccination papers with us for just in case, and are in the process of microchipping them before our next trip, just in case some misfit decides that they would like to take possession of one of them.

A collar is for your use, and for those honest pet lovers, if they ever happen to go to a vet., records can show who their rightful owner actually is.

Many happy trails, Kay

Joe. Happy Easter.

That's about as lengthy a mail that you have ever sent ! Got to agree, but we need not swell Brett's head anymore than it already is!

Carl

We do travel with a 9lb Chihuahua jack russell mix. We keep his shots up to date and we keep proper documentation with us at all times. A few campgrounds request you bring it in at check in so they can copy it, some just ask if we have it and I guess its on the honor system with them. I would not travel without it, just in case its requested.

We travel with our cats. We keep their shots up to date and we keep proper documentation with us at all times. We carry it just in case an emergency vet visit were to happen.

Never been asked for anything other than the "Do you have any pets along".

Rochel,

Another reason to carry vaccination papers, and sometime medical records, is in case there is a need to go to a veterinarian. They will ask about shots and sometimes require proof, especially the military veterinarians.

Regarding medical records, if you pup has an ailment that is being treated and maybe recurring, the new vet will want to know what prior procedures/medications have been used.

There is another case for documentation, if you, your children and your animal is here from another country, then the pet would have Quarantine papers and you would have a Visa!

Carl

Not to just keep adding to the list, but I learned this morning that my vet now has added an app that allows me to pull all records for each pet that is under their care on my smart phone, worth asking about.

On 3/25/2016 at 0:47 PM, manholt said:

There is another case for documentation, if you, your children and your animal is here from another country, then the pet would have Quarantine papers and you would have a Visa!

Carl

I prefer MasterCard, hehe

Technically, whenever an animal crosses a state line, they are required to have a current health certificate signed by a veterinarian, who has seen the pet within the past 10 days.  I travel with them for all my dogs (as well as vaccination records, spay/neuter certificate and dog license) and there have been no problems.

Teri

Teri.  Welcome to the Forum!

I'm confused with the 10 day thing?  Also, it's only if your going to board the animal in a different state, that the Vet needs current records for the year.  That also applies in Canada and most countries...biggest deal is rabies and flu! 

We have never been caught on the 10-day rule. But, since we use Banfield at our home base for our vet, all our records are available on the Web wherever we travel.

Our fur children joined us when we were living in Amsterdam, so they have ACTUAL EC Pet Passports. In Europe, because one can travel between countries as easily as North Americans can travel between states/provinces, such records are a necessity -- and the European vets issue them at first checkup.

Rochel you can utilize famparks on military bases, some f the best campgrounds in the world and you know you will be safe, and any change of duty you can check in to one at your new base and look for housing early without being rushed also when going down I75 in Macon Georgia their is a shriners campground not crowded and lots of room 

In addition to the reasons stated above, many if not most "quality" pet groomers will request health verification documents before accepting a new "client" so again, it's always good to have health records with you for each pet.