trishw

Cleaners For Leather Furniture

I typically use all an natural cleaner on virtually everything - but since I've bought my new to me coach.... I can't seem to get the grim out of the leather furniture. Maybe its there for good but in the creases there is discoloration and it doesn't appear to be "distressing" that is supposed to be there ;)

Any suggestions for cleaning the well used leather furniture?

Trish,

Have you tried a good saddle soap? Saddle soap will both clean but also soften the leather. I have found one of the best methods to clean leather is by hand. Rub and massage it in by hand. Besides it will soften your hands at the same time.

Herman

Interesting idea.  Im not positive its real leather think it would still be ok?  It FlexSteel furniture in my older Newmar. 

I use Lexol (can be purchased at most automotive parts stores) My seats look like I got to them to late. Some cracking etc. Not sure if anyone has more experience with a better product. This did a good job of cleaning them up but they do not feel softer to me.

Saddle soap I had never thought of. :huh: 

http://www.lexol.com/

Saddles are leather, all old cowboys are also leather :P or they tend to look that way! :D I get mine at the farm and ranch store in Galveston and it's not expensive!   Our coach leather is as close as you'll get to the real thing, unless you have really deep pockets, then another person would be rubbing my leather!:lol:

14 hours ago, Manholt said:

FIVE.  Why did you buy it to begin with?  Mine don't last years...about 5 months.

I did not buy it, D/W did...don't know why.  I've got a pair of shoes on which I use it.  The bar we have is very old, at least 25 years...the box is held together with masking tape.  I'd take a picture and post it, but that's above my pay grade.

FIVE.  Know how you feel.  Have lot's of pics, but no clue how to transfer over to member gallery!:(  Maybe in my second childhood, these things will be possible!:)

Carl, when we meet up this summer I will give you a tutorial :lol:. The child song "three blind mice" comes to mind, we just need another person, maybe ObedB since he managed to post photos to his that he has never seen before :D.

That will give me time to digest the new gallery section so I can reteach myself how to use it.

I have not seen a coach yet with real leather in it. I have seen many, many coaches with "ultra leather" which is a high grade soft vinyl. Cleaning is  piece of cake with a terry towel and Windex. If it is really dirty, a simple soft scrub brush will pull the grime right up and then wipe it off. Make a second pass and then put any vinyl preservative finish on it and away you go. If you do not do this step it will be fine, it just gets dirty quicker. This Windex cleaning method works miracles on synthetic fabrics used in automotive applications as well, just dry well with a terry or Turkish towel and the dirt will transfer like magic.

Bill

That will give me time to digest the new gallery section so I can reteach myself how to use it.

CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE, don't we all love that jingle

Bill.  Next time your in Florida, go look at a new Liberty Coach....they have no clue what vinyl is!  You got $$$ they got any kind of leather you can think about.  Same with Marathon and Newell....that's what you get for 7 figures!:D:blink:

Outa my pay grade!!! If I went in one I would have to have one I am sure, and luckily I am more than satisfied with this 455 Hp C12 in the Panther and the ultra leather. My pay grade only allows for Windex and Turkish towels...

B

Hello Trish,

I use Lexol original formula conditioner and preservative. I have been using it to clean and condition baseball gloves new and old for over thirty years. It was originally developed for use in the auto industry and can be purchased at Advanced Auto stores and other automotive parts stores. It may also be found in Wal Mart or K Mart. there is also a Lexol Ph balanced cleaner. Be careful using saddle soap as it it an abrasive cleaner and while removing dirt and grime it can also strip out the protective oils in leather. I repair baseball gloves and sell new gloves, and use Lexol almost exclusively because it does not build up on the gloves and make them oily or heavier. You may also find it in tack shops where saddles and other leather products are sold.

Please feel free to call me for more information.

Mike Wilkinson

The Glove Doctor LLC

Vienna, Ohio 

330-856-4899

On April 14, 2016 at 9:55 PM, glovdocm said:

Hello Trish,

I use Lexol original formula conditioner and preservative. I have been using it to clean and condition baseball gloves new and old for over thirty years. It was originally developed for use in the auto industry and can be purchased at Advanced Auto stores and other automotive parts stores. It may also be found in Wal Mart or K Mart. there is also a Lexol Ph balanced cleaner. Be careful using saddle soap as it it an abrasive cleaner and while removing dirt and grime it can also strip out the protective oils in leather. I repair baseball gloves and sell new gloves, and use Lexol almost exclusively because it does not build up on the gloves and make them oily or heavier. You may also find it in tack shops where saddles and other leather products are sold.

Please feel free to call me for more information.

Mike Wilkinson

The Glove Doctor LLC

Vienna, Ohio 

330-856-4899

Thanks Mike!