rfsod48

Shocks

Do diesel pushers have shocks that need replacing? If so is there an age limit or mileage that indicates time for replacement?

Yes, they do.

Age and mileage to failure is certainly related to OE quality.  Said another way, a Koni or Bilstein will last longer than the less expensive OE shocks.

To check shocks:

Visually check for leaking oil (not just damp, but leaking)

Visually check the bushings.  If worn, replace the shocks.

Go over a parking lot speed bump at regular low speed,  If an axle bounces more then 1.5 times, the shocks have lost their dampening.

rfsod48,

Is there any difference between a Ugo and a BMW? :o When you have a choice between Koni and Bilstein it is the same as choosing between a Lexas and Benz.:huh: Both are good. You should come to Chandler in March and attend Brett's Seminar on Suspension. 

Good luck on your choice.

Herman

I talked to the Bilstein representative at a convention several years ago and asked how long I could expect the shocks on our coach to last.  His answer was, "the life of the coach."  I don't know if he really meant that, most people don't drive their coach very much or keep a single coach for a long time.  Our current motor home will have been in service for 13 years in November this year and it has over 156,000 miles and using Brett's criteria for testing our shocks, they are still good!  I had a coach with worn shocks before this one and know what a difference it can make. 

If you plan to keep your coach and use it, purchasing a good set of shocks will pay for itself. 

No question, just as in every aspect of a coach, some chassis makers/coach makers spec better quality components.  Shocks are no different. They are NOT all the same, hence the reason for the wide range of prices for them.

I have ordered the Bilstein shocks. I have two options for instillation, a local shop that works on larger trucks and has a good reputation or driving 50 miles to the shop that does my maintence. Thoughts?

Nothing special about mounting shocks on an RV.  Anyone who can do it on a truck can do it.  And anyone who has done it on a car but has larger tools can do it.

Been there, done that on all three of our rigs over the last 18 years, with hand tools only (ya, and a long cheater bar!).

Roland,

Hopefully you'll notice a difference in ride after you change your shocks.  We changed from Monroe to Bilstein and noticed a huge difference.  Then upgraded tires to Michelin and another big improvement!

Our coach has much better road manners on highways that are in ill repair.  We have always slowed down on bad roads but the coach handles better when roads are rutted, have potholes or changing lanes with different elevations.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Blake

Speaking of shocks, my Eagle brochure says it has "custom turned Sachs shocks."  Anybody ever heard of Sachs...or did American Coach go with the lowest bidder?

I got the new shocks installed yesterday, 50 mile trip home ride seemed better. Will test them this weekend as we are going to Mackinaw City, a 270 mile trip each way. Got Bilstein shocks. 

Roland

57 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

I got the new shocks installed yesterday, 50 mile trip home ride seemed better. Will test them this weekend as we are going to Mackinaw City, a 270 mile trip each way. Got Bilstein shocks. 

Roland

When you get a chance check your sway bar bushings. I had to replace the ones on my coach and used polypropylene bushings that are a little stiffer (a lot stiffer than the ones missing) and it did help with sway. 

Bill

We had the opportunity to make a 400 mile trip with the new shocks and I do feel they made an improvement. I need to check the sway bar bushings next.

After 28 years, my coach has new front shocks and air bags. I have all service records from greyhound, first owner, and Vermont Carriers second,then myself, can not find any record of replacement of shocks, only twice new shock bushings, both still passed the typical shock test, no signs of oil. I don't know who made them, as MCI has their logo on the new ones, hope the new ones hold up as well as origional.