jleamont

Coolant Pipes/Metal Plumbing

While tackling the exhaust manifold replacement this weekend I noticed my cooling system upper and lower hoses are mostly pre bent metal. Both the upper and lower look like they will need to be replaced soon. I'm surprised how bad they have become in the last two years, scaly rust build up.

Any suggestions on what to use (beyond calling REV for a direct replacement, assuming its available) They look like automotive exhaust pipe.

Kay, I was considering the same, my only concern would be the rib on the end to help hold the hose onto the pipe. I have local exhaust shops in the area that could probably handle it other than the rib.

It would be a little tricky to force the hose over it, but just a very minimal flare could be used, or place the pipe before bending in a cradle, and run a very small heliarc bead on each end in the appropriate distance from the end, I know someone who has this equipment and is capable. In earlier years most of these pipes were made of brass.

28 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Kay, I was considering the same, my only concern would be the rib on the end to help hold the hose onto the pipe. I have local exhaust shops in the area that could probably handle it other than the rib.

I would go with stainless if available. Just make the tubing a little longer and you probably won't have a problem. Check with any local tubing shop they may have a tool to roll the rib in. 

Bill

Joe, rust build up?  Try spraying with your Pro 1...it, per you, brought back your original manifold, to it's pre use color! :P:rolleyes:

Carl

Good reason to replace...so have pipe and parts at hand, then try Pro 1....if it leaks, no problem!  If it don't, then you still have everything on hand for future! :):P

If I think there is a problem and I have the parts I would go ahead and fix it right then. I for one, don't like surprises when on the road.

Herman

By the way Carl, How is that new review mirror working out?  

I called REV yesterday, no longer available. Once we settle down for the year I will pull them off and have them made up in Stainless. We still have two small trips planned both within 100 miles from home, I don't want to fool with it until after the season.

Heated garage...I wish, my coach is as tall as my garage :o. Propane heater pointed under the coach, coveralls and a bad attitude. It might just wait till spring. :lol:

Since I cannot locate any exhaust that is thick enough I may just buy the sections of stainless tubing and pre bent 90 degree pieces and tig them together and just make my own. That will keep me busy and away from my Dune Buggy project.

Herman.  If I remember correctly, you pulled out the nice, slightly cracked mirror and gave it back to the original owner...telling him, "don't worry we can fix that here, so you can get home to Deer Park, TX."!  :wacko: Amazing part was, he believed you! :lol::lol:

Joe, what?  You will give up the warmth of the garage, and your buggy project...for the harsh, cold outside!  Tremendous fortitude and commitment from a post 70's area youth...I'm in awe! :P:rolleyes:

Carl 

Kay, I will put a caliper on it and see. What size exhaust can the typically bend? I was considering 12 or 14 gauge.

i don't know why but suddenly I have an urge to polish it so it looks pretty :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Kay, I will put a caliper on it and see. What size exhaust can the typically bend? I was considering 12 or 14 gauge.

i don't know why but suddenly I have an urge to polish it so it looks pretty :rolleyes:

Well I have a problem because I still think of tubing in aircraft terms. So I had to go look up how thick 12 ga was. That is some thick tubing at .109 wall thickness. I would think stainless tubing around .020- .025 would work for your application. 

Bill

12 gauge would be pretty thick, nearly 1/8 thick, 11 ga. is 1/8, 16ga. in 305 stainless will be pretty hard to bend but of course tubing is probably 204 which I believe would be ok. Polished would look good, but that is a whollllllllllllllle lot of sailcloth at very high rpm and a lot of water on the brow. Yes Rich, hot rodders use a lot of stainless tubing, both round,  square, and some rectangle. E-bay has 2.25 round for exhaust listed.

I was considering 12-14 so it could be welded without a bunch of warpage. I found the elbows and straight pipe for sale on the web. I just need dimensions and I will be all set.

Ever since I saw the engine bay in a Newell I have wanted to make it shine. The Newell I saw was lined in mirrored stainless steel and everything was shiny B). 18 gauge is just a tad thicker than sheet metal.

Bill, ever hear of anyone wrapping their exhaust manifolds on a turbo diesel to stop them from cracking? What's your thoughts?