fagnaml

"Hot" Toad Tire

My new Tire Minder TPMS system worked great this past weekend on a Mardi Gras outing to Lafayette, LA (stayed at the Cajun Palms RV Resort near Henderson, LA).   Tire temperatures for the motorhome and Jeep were all 80-85 F during the trip to/from Henderson EXCEPT for the left front time of the Jeep which was consistently 90-95 F !   The Jeep's left front tire is behind the motorhome exhaust pipe thus it's logical (to me anyway) that the left front tire temp would be warmer than all others.  For those that have a TPMS system, do you also see a higher temp for the front tire of your toad that is behind the motorhome exhaust?    Are there any tricks to protecting the toad tire from the hot motorhome exhaust?

Thanks for your thoughts!

My exhaust does not affect the temp on the toad, however, the tire temp on the toad is often 20 degrees higher on the sunny side, while at most 10 degrees higher on the sunny side of the coach. I assume this is due to the larger volume of air in the coach tires dissipates the heat better.

Mike.  5/10 degree difference, normal..I check mine every once in a while, with a heat gun and have found one side 30+ different in summer!  Like Herman said !

Mike, snap a picture of the exhaust exit and the toad tire and post it. I'm curious how far apart they are and is the toad tire in a direct path? I have heard of that before but it was on a coach with a Diesel Particulate Filter (hotter exhaust output).

Attached are two photos of my motorhome with Jeep in tow.  First photo is an overall look.  Second photo is a close up of motorhome exhaust which is directly in front of the Jeeps left front tire which has a temp of 90-95 F during this past weekend's outing.  The other three Jeep tire temps were 80-85 F.    The motorhome exhaust is the only thing I can think of that would affect the left front tire temp.

Since my motorhome is a 2007 model it does not have DEF for a catalytic converter, no particulate filter, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

Only reasons for a warmer tire are:

1. In the sun (would also affect the other tire on that side.

2. Dragging brake (lift tire off the ground and rotate to see if excessive brake drag).

3. Motorhome exhaust.

Look carefully at the tail pipe. You may be able to rotate it so that the exhaust exits more to the side than down.

Easy fix, get a band exhaust clamp, pull it out an inch and turn it 90 degrees clockwise:D

(it pointing down kicks up the rocks anyway)

IMG_20170301_150551777.jpg

To be clear is the TPMS on the Jeep an external mount sensor?  i.e. screws on the valve?

If so I think exhaust is likely culprit. I would not be too concerned as long as the pressure readings are in line i.e. all pressures increase about same amount?

Tireman --

Yes the TPMS sensor on the Jeep and motorhome tires are "external mount" attached to the valve stem.  During my weekend outing all of the Jeep tire pressures were 33-35 psig thus the 90-95 F temp for the Jeep left front tire was likely caused by the motorhome exhaust.   Per Brett's and Corona's suggestion, I will look at the motorhome exhaust tip and see if it can be rotated a bit direct the exhaust away from the Jeep tire.

I don't think there is a problem. You are only a couple of degrees above the outher readings. I have seen more variance between sunny side and shady side. 

Bill