revilob

How Can I Tell If My Turbo Is Working?

Hi, I've Just bought a 2006 Damon Tuscany with a Cat C7 350 hp turbo engine.

Although driving it home from the dealers (400 miles away) it ran just fine, i couldn't tell if the turbo was kicking in or not. There does not seem to be any type of 'surge' or increased speed with the accelerator pedal pushed to the floor. Going up hills it would lose speed and even slow down to the degree that I would need hazard lights on. This was all freeway driving.

Am i missing something and expecting too much?

You're not missing a thing; you will soon learn to use your gears for hill climbing and to keep the rpm's up so as to not overheat. You can floor the throttle and I assure you it will not pop your head back.

If turbo is not working, a modern diesel smokes noticeably under heavy demand. Smoke may occur after accelerator application when things are ok but stops quickly and becomes a clean looking exhaust.

Most diesel pushers have turbo boost gauges on the dash.  If you don't have one I would recommend that you install one.

Jim

#1 cause of low performance in a modern diesel is fuel restriction.  So the first "solution" (and the least expensive) is to change the fuel filters.

BTW, with a modern diesel, lack of boost often does NOT mean smoke.  The engine ECM factors in boost pressure and de-rates fuel delivery if boost is low.

Brett/ Depends on what you mean by modern?. When I started in the business few diesels had turbos. If you lose a turbo now your unit will not get out of its own way.  Some electronic diesels still smoke more than normal when the turbo fails.

2 hours ago, Revilob said:

Hi, I've Just bought a 2006 Damon Tuscany with a Cat C7 350 hp turbo engine.

Although driving it home from the dealers (400 miles away) it ran just fine, i couldn't tell if the turbo was kicking in or not. There does not seem to be any type of 'surge' or increased speed with the accelerator pedal pushed to the floor. Going up hills it would lose speed and even slow down to the degree that I would need hazard lights on. This was all freeway driving.

Am i missing something and expecting too much?

Welcome to the forum. Un like some applications in cars  where you need to get the rpm up to get boost and you can feel that surge as boost kicks in you won't feel it in your coach or the seat of your pants. I two recommend you get a good boost gage and a EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gage. When climbing hills if you start to slow down, I down shift to keep engine speed up. Put anouther way, if you can't hold speed or accelerate in a gear down shift till you can. This will allow your engine to run cooler and performs better. Here are some information on your engine. 350 hp @ 2400 rpm 860 lb-ft @ 1440 rpm Peak Torque. 

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/Cat_C7_Specs.pdf

Bill

When a hose clamp broke on my charge air cooler hose the motor had no power and it wouldn't even move.  I had to fabricate a hose clamp from a coat hanger to get off the highway.

Been there. When a trucker, I carried replacements for the clamps involved in the charge air system. If you lose one and don't have an exact replacement you can often gang several large hose clamps together to keep you going. Shoot! You can buy those at a hardware store. Keep several of those on board just in case.

Ok, I rode shotgun on Saturday with a friend so he could get his class B NON CDL in PA. His 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus blew the turbo cold air charge pipe between the turbo and the intercooler during the road test portion of his test :o. I attempted to rig it before we made the 15 mile journey home, no such luck, needless to say our top speed was 10MPH on any incline and 35 on the flats. If your turbo isn't working you will know it :lol:

I videoed the trip up I-176 coming out of Reading PA laughing the entire time (if anyone is familiar with that hill) I could have walked faster than we pulled that hill :lol: I even offered to get out and help push, no need to stop and let me out....:wacko:

Losing a turbo due to mechanical failure and losing a hose clamp on the plumbing are two different things. Joe/ Being a wrench, I am certain that you know that. I had to replace a turbo because I started to notice smoke exiting the stacks ( yea gotta have two to look cool😎). Smoke was constant under power but mostly gray. I knew the turbo was soon going to grenade and mess a lot of things up. Seals were just about gone. Oil was leaking by them and burning. My message is that if you notice otherwise unexplainable smoke, get to a repair facility quickly.

Nope, another International product :wacko:. Common on them, usually I have to pull the exhaust and hunt for that! The photo is today's project. 

Doug fixed his up and headed for the Mountains in PA yesterday, I guess he got there, no phone calls :ph34r:.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Nope, another International product :wacko:. Common on them, usually I have to pull the exhaust and hunt for that! The photo is today's project. 

Doug fixed his up and headed for the Mountains in PA yesterday, I guess he got there, no phone calls :ph34r:.

Nothing like a Keystone mountain ride as a shake down trip. LOL

Rich. 

Yea, he has to be soaked by now. He is somewhere around Raystown PA. It's pouring here! Plus if he broke down I would have heard his DW screaming by now :lol: :ph34r:

Turbo job done, new innercooler also, delivered back. Ran good! 

Hello all. I have a 2007 Damon Tuscany with a Cat C7 350HP.  At the end of a full day of driving mountains in Easter WA and OR, I stopped in ID to spend the night. After stopping at a light at the end of the ramp, when I stepped on the throttle to go, I had no power. With pedal to floor I could barely get 25 mph, downhill. Turbo psi was 0. Limped to Walmart for the night then on to Freightliner this morning. Camped here till they get to me tomorrow. Based on various sources, checked all hoses which seem to be intact. Any thoughts, other than obvious turbo failure? Was unable to move wastegate actuator by hand. Could being stuck open cause my 0 psi problem?

wingman5th. The Turbo will not spool up until your tack. reading is around 1600 to 1700 RPMs.

When you depress the throttle, does the RMS increase above idle speed. With no load / coach in neutral do the Rpms increase. 

No Code or check engine lite - would make me thing the issue is external of the engine, fuel lift pump, fuel filter issue. Any indication of a fuel leak at all from the fuel tank back to the engine?

Rich.