h2oskier08@gmail.com

DOT Tire Expiration Dates

Recently I have encountered questions in our RV park regarding when motor-coach tires should be changed based upon their DOT date.  It has been my understanding tires should be replaced 5 years from their DOT manufacturer date.  Discussion lately centers around using a 7 year rule of thumb rather than the 5 year threshold.  What is the current recommendation?  

I use the 7 year as a general guide. By the way welcome to the forum. This also depends on what the tires look like. If you can see something going wrong then it is time right now regardless of the age. I believe the trailer/tow behind groupe uses 5 years. 

Bill

There are a number of factors that go into determining the useful like of a tire:

1. Run at correct PSI (never under-inflated/over loaded).

2. Stored covered (white cover cooler than dark colors) and/or indoors when not on the road.

3. Driven frequently better than just sitting.

When we bought our first (used) RV, all the tires were the same date.  I replaced the whole set at seven years age.  Ouch, that hit the pocket hard.  Over time, occasional flat tires, making replacements a few at a time, I arrived at a replacement schedule that works for me.  When one tire in a dual set goes flat, the other tire in the set carries almost double the weight it should be carrying.  That damages that tire.  If you are driving and you can't stop immediately, that tire will likely be damaged beyond safe use.  When this happens I replace both tires.  But I put the new tires on the front axle and move the tires that were on the front to the rear, replacing the dual set that had the flat and damaged mate.  Now, I do this on a regular schedule.  Every two years I replace two tires, putting them on the front.  I move the used front tires to the rear alternating from one side to the other.  My oldest tires should be six years old and they are located in a dual set.  My steer tires are always two years or less in age.

I had a flat tire on the front one time, I hope I never have that happen again.  Fortunately damage was minor but I wasn't able to maintain complete lane control and if a vehicle had been passing me it could have been a disaster.  I've purchased tire monitors and watch my tire pressures carefully and have still experienced flat tires.  Once on the rear it was a complete surprise, the tire monitor didn't sound an alarm until after the tire blew.  Other times I've run over road debris, a cargo hook and just a small screw.  In both those cases, the tire alarm allowed me to stop before the tire went completely flat.  

This pattern of tire replacement reduces the impact on the wallet, two are far cheaper than six.  It also keeps relatively new fresh tires on the front, steer axle, where they are a most critical component of safe steering.  On the down side, it does require mounting two new tires and remounting the other two tires and balancing all four if you balance your dual tires.  It means a visit to the tire shop every two years, never my favorite day.  It is working for me.

55 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

When we bought our first (used) RV, all the tires were the same date.  I replaced the whole set at seven years age.  Ouch, that hit the pocket hard.  Over time, occasional flat tires, making replacements a few at a time, I arrived at a replacement schedule that works for me.  When one tire in a dual set goes flat, the other tire in the set carries almost double the weight it should be carrying.  That damages that tire.  If you are driving and you can't stop immediately, that tire will likely be damaged beyond safe use.  When this happens I replace both tires.  But I put the new tires on the front axle and move the tires that were on the front to the rear, replacing the dual set that had the flat and damaged mate.  Now, I do this on a regular schedule.  Every two years I replace two tires, putting them on the front.  I move the used front tires to the rear alternating from one side to the other.  My oldest tires should be six years old and they are located in a dual set.  My steer tires are always two years or less in age.

I had a flat tire on the front one time, I hope I never have that happen again.  Fortunately damage was minor but I wasn't able to maintain complete lane control and if a vehicle had been passing me it could have been a disaster.  I've purchased tire monitors and watch my tire pressures carefully and have still experienced flat tires.  Once on the rear it was a complete surprise, the tire monitor didn't sound an alarm until after the tire blew.  Other times I've run over road debris, a cargo hook and just a small screw.  In both those cases, the tire alarm allowed me to stop before the tire went completely flat.  

This pattern of tire replacement reduces the impact on the wallet, two are far cheaper than six.  It also keeps relatively new fresh tires on the front, steer axle, where they are a most critical component of safe steering.  On the down side, it does require mounting two new tires and remounting the other two tires and balancing all four if you balance your dual tires.  It means a visit to the tire shop every two years, never my favorite day.  It is working for me.

Thats basically my plan for the past 15 years.  I use to use Centrimatics balancers but recently switched to balancing beads.  Fortunately the 22.5 tire is easy to change and I bought the professional tools to make it even easier than crow bars.  No trips to the tire shop for me.

5 years for me, why? Glad you asked..:D

At the 5 year time line my old tires still have a dollar value, once the tire casing hits year 7 they cannot be recapped and there for they have no value. So I can sell them and put the money towards the new ones. At year 7 I have to pay to make them go away.

Thank you all for your input.   I understand proper inflation and loads are a critical factor as well as the general wear and tear on the tread and sidewalls.  I believe with your input I can make a sound decision for our safety.  

Thanks for the new guy welcome to the forum.  We have enjoyed our membership with FMCA over the past few years and have again found a new reason to talk up this great organization.

4 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

Yup

That's essentially what I posted Feb 2015

Joe.  Where or to whom do you sell your tires...The place you buy new one's?  In 2014 my 8 was picked up in OR and taken back to Texas to go on our Hay trailers, but I still had to pay the Federal "Disposal Tax"! :angry: 

Carl

My two bits, Centramatics vrs beads...beads are fine as long as the air used is either nitrogen or drier dryed air! Most tire shops do not have a drier on their air systems so each time air is added moisture is added. At some point the beads will wad into a clump or several clumps and be ineffective. Just ask me how I know... Centramatics have no faults like this. 

Bill Edwards

1 hour ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

My two bits, Centramatics vrs beads...beads are fine as long as the air used is either nitrogen or drier dryed air! Most tire shops do not have a drier on their air systems so each time air is added moisture is added. At some point the beads will wad into a clump or several clumps and be ineffective. Just ask me how I know... Centramatics have no faults like this. 

Bill Edwards

A mfg sent me beads to test which are not supposed to do that so I will run them and see what happens.  The valve stems have filters.  I do my own tire changing and airing using dry air filters.  I have heard of guys that have used everything from bb's to golf balls.

Carl, truck tire shops up here will buy them at 5 years or newer and sell them. At the 5 year mark they can run them off and recap them once. The tires I just removed this year I got $700.00 back for them. I was told at year 7 they are almost useless unless someone wants to put them on a dump truck's lift axle, at that point you give them away just so you don't pay for disposal. It gives me an incentive to keep newer rubber on the coach.

I run Centramatics on our coach (well...they were on it before we bought it). I had the steer tires Roadforce balanced anyway, they used stick-on weights on the inside of the wheel. The Roadforce balancing only cost me $25.00 per wheel if I carried them to the shop.

No, it's a tire casing life rule from what I was told. 5 years it has life left, At 7 what tread is on it is all you get no recapping.

I don't know what make your running but my treads looked new after 6 years on DOT but 5 years running...sidewall was the issue for me and I'm the second owner!  The tires we trucked back to Texas, now have over 80,000 miles on them!