rhinderber

Charging House Batteries

Is it possible to use a 120vac adapter on the 240 vac 50amp power to the unit to keep the house batteries charged? Will the inverter charge the batteries?

It has worked for me in the past. Another choice would be a trickle charger,  preferably after you have given the house batteries a full charge. Of course make sure that the salesman' switch is in the off position. You want no load on the batteries when putting a small charger in place.

Ross, I believe the salesman switch is the battery switch just inside the front door that is used to discount any items that may draw down the chassis batteries between showings. Used mostly when the unit isn't hooked to shore power.

The two you mentioned are, in most units, in or close to both the house and chassis batteries. .

Herman 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

Mine are at the door. Not all coaches are like yours. 

Ain't that the truth. My battery switches are in the overhead on the passenger side.

Bill

Herman.  Not really your bad...just a ref to 2 different items !  Salesman switch or Battery cut of switch, most DP's have both.  My Salesman switch is by the door, then I have a cut off switch for house batteries and Inverters in battery bay.  A cut off switch for engine batteries in engine compartment. B)

Getting back to the "use a 120vac adapter on the 240 vac 50amp power":

We need to figure out exactly what 240 VAC power source you are talking about.

Is this an RV 50 amp receptacle that your coach is plugged into and you are asking if, when plugged in will your inverter keep the batteries charged?  If so, we need to know what inverter or INVERTER/CHARGER you have.  Some inverters have built in chargers, some do not.

And, if you are not plugging your coach into a 50 amp RV outlet, what 50 amp 240 VAC outlet are you using?

Separate issue-- some coaches have both house and chassis batteries charged by built in systems, some just charge the house batteries.

I have a 1997 Safari Trek with a 50 amp power cord if I plug that into a 110 vac adapter plug that into the house power (my house not mh house)will it keep the mh house batteries charged. It is my understanding the generator power goes through the inverter to charge batteries and line power also goes through the inverter only difference is lower vac 120 v 240 or 241 what ever works

Yes, using a 15 amp male to 30 amp female adapter AND a 30 male to 50 female adapter will power things in your motorhome. 

If, as I suspect you have, this is an inverter/charger, when it is plugged into the house, the inverter/charger will keep charged the house bank and MAYBE the chassis battery (the second less likely).

The 120 VAC will also be "passed through" to those circuits down stream of the inverter/charger.

Any RV store and even some Walmarts have the adapters.  Though rare, there are also 15 amp male to 50 amp female.  But most use the two.

Manufacturers differ in how they perceive things should work. In my coach for example I have a trik-l-charger so both house and service batteries get charged.  At first I was turning off the battery disconnect and service batteries and house batteries would not charge. To make a long story short I  called the factory and i was informed that both the service battery disconnect and the house battery disconnect had to be in the "ON" position for the batteries to charge.  (Hmm! thinking of the word "Disconnect" I should have realized that.)  Also i was informed that the steps operation had to be in the OFF position as the charging system would not keep up with the amperage draw of the steps. 

Steps work with a current limiting switch so there is a constant current draw on the steps when they are turned on.

Just my 2cents worth.

I have a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer on a Workhorse W22 chassis.  My question: when the engine is running, are the house batteries supposed to be charging along with the chassis  battery?

51 minutes ago, sierradave said:

I have a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer on a Workhorse W22 chassis.  My question: when the engine is running, are the house batteries supposed to be charging along with the chassis  battery?

sierradave,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

In a word, YES.  Both battery banks should be charged with the engine running.

If you use an auxiliary charger be sure it is a smart charger the can sense the level of charge in the battery bank and control the charge rate.