jleamont

Aqua Hot Summer/winter Switching

Anyone know if there is a switch or valve to cycle from summer to winter. I noticed when the fan is on in the bathroom it draws hot air from the Aqua Hot register. I'm thinking there is probably a way to stop the flow of coolant to the interior. Just assuming, not sure and I couldn't locate any information in the manual.

Model # AHE-100-01 

Serial# 01-720

Joe.  Mine runs on Diesel or electric...just turn off diesel when your not using it or close register.  Only time mine comes on for coach heat is when I use the mode button for all tree zones, never had one that drew hot air out, unless someone turned on the furnace side! 

Joe,

If, in the summertime you are using the diesel side of the A/H for hot water you will also heat the coolant and might get some residual heat through your floor vents. We use only the electric element for heating the hot water during warm weather.

That being said I will run the entire unit once a month to exercise the unit.

Herman

Since I have not worked on an Aqua-hot system, I contacted an old friend who has a Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Service Center in SE Texas. Here is his reply:

When using the diesel burner for hot water, the number two pump will run while the burner is running to stir the coolant tank to provide uniform temp through out the 16 gallon tank.

The number two pump supplies heating zone two with hot coolant.  Zone two is usually the bathroom and basement fan coils.  While the pump is running, the fans are not.  But the coil in the bathroom is getting hot coolant.

Apparently the exhaust fan is drawing air across the bathroom fan coil giving him his warm air flow.  Blocking the bathroom vent for the fan coil would be easier than stopping the coolant flow.  Plus if one stops the coolant flow, he defeats the stirring of the coolant tank for good hot water heating — not a good idea.

He could open the bathroom cabinet where the fan coil is located and install bypass pex piping with valves to accomplish same to allow the coolant to flow but not heat the coil.  Seems blocking the vent is a whole lot easier.

You could contact him directly if you like: Rudy Legett 713.818.3234.

Brett, good information to have and thank you for going out of your way for an answer.

I will run it on electric only next time. Herman how long does it take to reheat the water as it was all off from the night before? 

we were truck stop boondocking with both AC units on and I didn't want to draw any more current on the generator than already. And of course if DW got a cold shower I'd be put in time out :(. The diesel burner guarantees no cold or dip in the water temperature, but I guess it has one negative side. I think the motor aid side also heats that one zone.

Have never run out of hot water on the electric. However in the situation you described I would definitely run the Aqua Hot for the showers.

Better to be safe then having the DW ----'

Herman 

Herman and Bill, the last time I pulled the "you picked this coach", figured I'd test the water, didn't go so well for me that week :wacko:

Joe, You may have to consider a few modifications to your coach if traveling with more than 1 female. Like adding a 700 gallon Fresh water tank, a 500 gallon Gray and a 200 gallon Holding tank. Then you would only have to dump twice a week when Boon-docking.

Man, I know I am in trouble with your DW now.

:wub: Herman

Herman.  More grey water is used, due to 2 teenage girls and 1 DW...it would still be a every other day dump! :D Joe needs 3 bathrooms and a half ! :lol: Guess who gets the half? :blink:

Ok, so I got smarter, well I think so anyway. I layed the fresh hose in the sun as a pre heater to the coach, switched on electric only. I will know in a little how it goes. 

My hose trick worked! After her shower I asked how it was, I got the look, she asked what you do? I told her and she smirked and said, you're lucky it didn't go cold :lol:. My plan; I told her as soon as I heard her complaining from the shower I was running to the campground fitness room:lol:

Kay :lol: she has to pass by the pool to get to the fitness room, hoping she would cool off first :lol:. I had it all planned out :ph34r:

Joe add a couple of permanent loops to the roof, usable in the summertime, disconnect and drain in the late fall. Actually i kinda like the idea. When we were in Arizona Feb/April I was using the sun to heat 5 gallon Coleman water jugs for the outside shower, worked just fine until the desert honey bees found the water on the ground.

B

B

On 6/25/2017 at 6:49 AM, wolfe10 said:

Apparently the exhaust fan is drawing air across the bathroom fan coil giving him his warm air flow.  Blocking the bathroom vent for the fan coil would be easier than stopping the coolant flow.  Plus if one stops the coolant flow, he defeats the stirring of the coolant tank for good hot water heating — not a good idea..

This answer makes sense.  No hot air is being pumped through the coach unless the "heat' option is selected on the thermostat.