Squinko

First Motorhome!!

Hello all.  I am a new guy when it comes to motorhomes.  The wife and I just purchased our first motorhome from a friend.  It is a 2011 40' Damon Tuscany.  We are super excited to get started with the learning process with the motorhome.  It seems a little overwhelming right now but we will have it all figured out soon.  I plan to tow my 2015 Jeep Wrangler behind it. 

This forum has been very helpful with all the research I have done so far.  And thank you up front for all the answers to the questions that I know I will be asking in the future. 

Benny. 

IMG_2946.JPG

7 hours ago, Squinko said:

It seems a little overwhelming right now but we will have it all figured out soon.  

Benny. 

IMG_2946.JPG

As said, Welcome to the Forum.

"we will have it all figured out soon" :lol: Just about that time comes something new will pop up. That is what is so nice about Motor Homing, Always something new and exciting. 

If you haven't already done so, look around for a Chapter to join. If you need any help please let me know. We are in the Six-State Rally Association aka South Central Area I covers Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. We have 42 Chapters in SRA.  There are 10 areas in FMCA. So If you have any questions, click on my picture and then click on the envelope and send me a PM (Personal Message).

Again, Welcome to your new, very large, Family. 

Herman

On 8/4/2017 at 3:26 AM, markandlisav said:

Nice looking rig!  We have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler as a tow.  Pretty easy to setup.  Awesome times ahead for you guys.

What type of set up do you have on the front of your Jeep for towing?  I am going to use a Blue Ox tow bar and a Roadmaster 9700 breaking system. They came with the RV and worked well for the previous owner (A friend of mine.)  I just installed a new front bumper made by Rock Hard and the cool part is they make what ever bracket you need for the tow bar and it bolts to the front of the bumper with long heavy duty bolts that tie into the frame.  Pretty slick design to keep from having to have a low hanging bracket. Below are some before and after pics.  You can see the Blue Ox brackets on the after pic.  

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

Benny, 

Great looking bumper.  Before you get a brake system for your Jeep let me suggest that you look at the  M&G Engineering Brake system. I have it on my Silverado. Have had it on a Jeep, a Yukon and on my third Silverado.  On Monday give Monty a call.  Tell him Herman said for you to call.

903-675-2812

Herman 

Herman.  You got Simple again.:lol:..he wrote that he has a tow bar and brake system, came with the coach! :D

I use the "D" ring holders on my steel bumper...towed 3 years and about 40,000 miles! :)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I take it all in Monday to get it all hooked up. I will probably stay with the Roadmaster for now.  

Benny, we have a Demco Bar and M&G brake system on our 14' Wrangler. I agree with Herman, the M&G system is great, doesn't break the wallet and NO electronics!

Jeep set up.jpg

Congratulations on your Tuscany, I had a 2006 Tuscany and now have a 2016 Tuscany and they are great coaches. I pull a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I really enjoy, but also miss my Wrangler. Just could not fit the Grandkids in that small back seat.

Hope you enjoy your new coach and welcome 

Congratulations on your motorhome!  Two years ago I purchased a near new condition 39 foot 2007 Damon Astoria motorhome that has provided outstanding, trouble free enjoyment for my wife's and my weekend adventures.  Someday when the "career" phase of life ends we'll enjoy much longer outings.   My opinion is Damon (now Thor) produces a good quality motorhome.  Like you, I tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (which is also my everyday vehicle).  I've yet to see a Damon nor Jeep owner who did not have a smile on their face every time they go about exploring the country!   Enjoy your new home on wheels!!

When you get a chance add your name, location, motorhome type, tow vehicle to your "signature block" as that info will help get excellent, detailed responses from the many very knowledgeable, fine folks on the forum.

Welcome Benny. Very similar to ours. Got a 2011 Damon (Thor) Astoria, 40KT. Just bought ours last year and did a snowbird trip. Loved it so much that we came back to PA, tied up a few loose ends and are heading out in a few days for the fulltime life. There is a ton of stuff to learn and like you, it's all new to me too. The Folks in here are great and a huge help when questions come up. The forum in here is great and youtube is a big help too. Not sure how much help I will be to ya but anything I can do, just give a shout. See ya on the road.

New site-2.jpg

Finally got the Jeep hooked up to the MH. Took the rig out for our first trip up to Williams, AZ at the KOA.  Everything went well but I have a lot to learn. Here are some pics of the set up. 

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice.  

Benny.  

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

Yes.  Ditto.  Just keep the tow bar as close to horizontal as you can, 15 degrees +/- is doable, but less is better! :)

1 hour ago, captivatingjourney said:

Very nice!  And it is nice to see someone else from AZ!!

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are onboard. Just a heads up, that is a about 2 year old thread and Squinko may not see that you posted. You could send him a private message to get his attention.

Bill