South Texas RV Resort

Hi there,

We are looking for at staying in South Texas for the winter one month and move on to a different resort. We have been looking at the  Encore resorts. They have a great special on for first time visitors.

We would like to stay near Brownsville and then off to Big Bend National park.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin & Barb

F467598,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

While we love Big Bend, there are no "resorts" there.  And the only full hookups are in a parking lot.  Yes, outside the park, one can get full hook ups.  But would not define any as resorts.

Still, very much worth the trip.

Kevin.  Welcome to the Forum!

Goggle...Maverick RV Resort, Lajitas, TX. at Black Jack Golf Resort & Spa.  Very nice RV Park at $37.50, full hook ups, wifi and cable!

Welcome to the forum. 

Come on down!  We've been wintering in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley) since 2001-02.  There are about 70 or 80 parks from Brownsville to South Padre Island and north to Harlingen, west to McAllen and Mission and North to Raymondville and Edinburg.  Parks vary from very simple with minimal fees and facilities to the luxury with a full range of facilities and activities.  There are parks with large dance halls and others located near prime wildlife and birding facilities.  We have the National Butterfly Garden and World Birding Centers that attract wildlife enthusiasts from all over the world. 

You will be welcomed as a Winter Texan :D, not a Snowbird :wacko:.  They really do appreciate the $money$ we bring to the valley.  The population is delightfully multicultural.  You will find all the usual city businesses and flea markets.  There are all the urban restaurants plus a delightful variety of authentic Mexican and barbecue restaurants.  There are major shopping centers (thriving) and arts and entertainment centers.  Deep sea fishing and big game hunting are all available here.

Winter in the RGV starts in late November or in December.  Spring begins in late February or in March.  If we have more than three nights below freezing it has been a hard winter.  Sometime winters are dry, others are windy or wet.  We play golf all winter.  There are bowling leagues specifically for Winter Texans, softball leagues and music and vocal groups also. 

There are so many parks that I would encourage you to come on down and spend some time exploring the other facilities before you commit to any one facility.  I am not familiar with Encore Resorts but their special may provide the perfect opportunity to do just this.  I would suggest that you spend some of that time visiting other resorts.  There are many and the rates are quite reasonable compared to what you will find in other winter resort areas.  By all means if the Encore Resorts are your cup of tea, sign up and come back next year. 

I would suggest that you plan to get to Big Bend National Park in mid to late March.  Spring Break is their busiest time for a reason, the weather gets better then.  As Brett says, the campground there is a parking lot.  It is first-come, no reservations.  We boondocked at a picnic area on the road in and then got up early to be one of the first few arriving and checking in.  We got a spot our first try.  The road to Big Bend is about 60 miles from the nearest town.  Pick up supplies to keep you in groceries before you head into the park.  There is a store in the park $$$. 

We loved our visit there during spring break, it was a wet year and the cactus were in full bloom.  There are 4WD roads including one that is about 80 miles across the park along the Rio Grande.  There is plenty of hiking and lots of sightseeing in the park.  There are people who do spend months in the park if that is your thing.  Try it out, see what it is like and then make a decision for next year.

We just left Big Bend after a week of doing some birding and off roading. We stayed just outside the park in Study Butte/Terlingua at the Big Bend RV Resort and Adventures with full hook-ups and accommodated our 44 ft MH. It is not a resort by any stretch of your imagination. As Carl mentioned, Maverick Rv Resort is by far the nicest park but its about 20 miles to the entrance of the park. Cottonwood General store is a well stocked grocery store in in Study Butte, pronounced Stoody Butte, that has almost everything you will need including wine and beer. 

Rio Grande Village Campground, a asphalt parking lot with hook-ups, has 25 sites of which 20 are reservable and 5 held for first come first serve. It is closed until at least Oct because of a water issue. 

If you have time, drive from Terlingua to Presidio, its a beautiful drive along the Rio Grande River. Also, go sit on the porch at the general store in the Ghost Town and enjoy the locals as they spin yarns. I'm pretty sure some of these people are in the witness protection program.

Before you leave the area, visit Fort Davis and stay a few days in the Fort Davis State park. It is full hook-ups, drive thru sites. 

Like Tom said, there are so many places in the valley you just need to go and see for yourself. They range from golf course resorts to small mom and pop campgrounds. We will be staying at Llano Grande Resort and Country Club in Mercedes, TX next April for spring migration.

Thank you everyone so much for the interesting and informative information, We are looking forward to spending time this winter in the RGV area.

Kevin & Barb,

The RGV escaped without wind or rain.  All the resorts from South Padre Island to Brownsville, Harlingen, Weslaco, San Juan, Pharr, McAllen, Mission and Edinburg, etc., all good, not a problem.  Come on down.

I'd love to visit Tom, but my MH is at Dues Camping Center for minor repairs.  I called when this storm was know to be coming and asked if I should pick it up. They said they were not calling people to come get the RV's.  Never flooded in that area before that I am aware of, but maybe some old timers have other information.

Anyhow, Dues Camping Center is on the North bound feeder from the intersection of I-45 and FM-517. It is about 1/2 mile up the feeder road, give or take a few 10ths.  Guess what - it's flooded.  Don't know how bad but I can be pretty sure it is in the bays.  Could be higher.

Hope insurance come through for us.

Wayne.

Hate to be the one who gives "bad news".  Any place within 20 miles or so of Dickinson is a lake.  My best friend on Island took his fifthwheel to a RV Park in League City, between I-45 and Hwy. 3, it's completely under water.  Very Sorry!

They estimate that I can return to the Island and my home, in about a month!  Glad I have friends, who are keeping an eye on my house...I'll be in Burnet today.  Need anything, send a PM and I'll help! 

Our hearts go out to all who are caught in the midst of this disaster.  The pictures are horrible and the personal pain is unimaginable.  Be well, and carry on.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure the MH has water in it.  That area is devastated.

We were up and down for street water. After the hurricane Carla in 1961 Texas City put up a sea wall to protect against 20 ft storm surge.  During Ike it barricaded us against the 17 ft storm surge that hit us.   Galveston is a barrier reef for us and they got hit with 20 ft plus storm surge. Today is not storm surge but continuous rain for the last several days.

Texas City also installed 8 Archimedes principle pumps that will pull water out of Texas City. During Ike TC was an island and every community around it was flooded. Unfortunately the pump can only pump the water out into a lake until everything is full, then they have to stop them.  

We are apparently in that position now and the water is half way up the front lawn. Prayers needed for the rain to stop.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like in our neighborhood.

IMG_5032.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

4 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

Our hearts go out to all who are caught in the midst of this disaster.  The pictures are horrible and the personal pain is unimaginable.  Be well, and carry on.

I just saw a thread where the Texas CG owners assoc is opening up the parks to evacuees. Could cause it to be a little crowded down there. Folks headed that way might want to lock in their reservations. What say you Sir?

My strong advice right now is "DO NOT GO TO SOUTH TEXAS AT THIS TIME."

They need every rv space, hotel and motel rooms for the folks from down. And yes the Association has asked every park that has sites to open to every one.

The Great State has been hard hit but the citizens will pull together and be back on their feet, never fear we are rezliiant and strong.

Herman 

5 hours ago, punxsyjumper said:

I just saw a thread where the Texas CG owners assoc is opening up the parks to evacuees. Could cause it to be a little crowded down there. Folks headed that way might want to lock in their reservations. What say you Sir?

And the Governor has suspended hotel occupancy tax and it applies to RV parks also.

On a side note: Water line in yard seems to have receded a few inches. Hope it is a trend.

9 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

My strong advice right now is "DO NOT GO TO SOUTH TEXAS AT THIS TIME."

They need every rv space, hotel and motel rooms for the folks from down. And yes the Association has asked every park that has sites to open to every one.

The Great State has been hard hit but the citizens will pull together and be back on their feet, never fear we are rezliiant and strong.

Herman 

I agree. We were going to be in Houston around the first of November but we might take a pass this year and give it more time.

2 hours ago, punxsyjumper said:

I agree. We were going to be in Houston around the first of November but we might take a pass this year and give it more time.

You might look at the RGV this year.

Bill

I agree, the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) completely escaped any damage, no wind, no rain, no flooding.  None of the storm water goes to the Rio Grande River.  All those rivers drain back into the Gulf of Mexico. 

There may be some people relocated to the RGV but there are plenty of RV parks in the valley and most have had empty spaces during the winter.  Generally FEMA relocates people close to their home and job.  Corpus Christi is three hours travel time from the RGV and that is the closest area that sustained severe damage. 

My friends on Island just moved into my house yesterday, I'm 23 foot above normal tide, their yards are flooded and sewage system is backed up!  Most of the west end of Galveston is on pier and beam, garage under living quarters...my 4 car garage is enclosed and living area is 13 feet above garage! :) I'm in a 3 house cull de sac, in Spanish Grant Sub Division 3926 Dos Dr, Galveston, Texas 77552...normally I would not do this, but it's For Sale, I have moved to Burnet, TX.  Only things I have now in Galveston is clothing...house will be listed with Island furniture...Rattan don't go well in cow country! :lol:

Wayne, are you in the Moses lake area?

Like Herman said.  On too many occasions, over the past 180 years or so, we have learned to take care of our own and not depend on DC or others!  The only thing we don't need in South East Texas right now, is tourists!  By Christmas, we will be back to normal....

13 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You might look at the RGV this year.

Bill

Glad the RGV wasn't hit. We were mainly going to Houston to visit friends and then on to Lubbock. Looks like we will be bypassing Houston and going right to Lubbock from Tulsa. I'm sure we will get to RGV at some point but this winter will be down thru NM, AZ then NV.