prism16

Travelling I 10 East Coast to West Coast

Question

We are travelling from Florida to California on Rt 10 January to March 2018. Looking for advice on must see side trips along the way or places to avoid. We are a 25ft Prism and are travelling with a dog.  Also, has anyone used the pet boarding facilities near New Orleans?

11 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, prism16 said:

We are travelling from Florida to California on Rt 10 January to March 2018. Looking for advice on must see side trips along the way or places to avoid. We are a 25ft Prism and are travelling with a dog.  Also, has anyone used the pet boarding facilities near New Orleans?

Please give us some info about your interests so we can provide better suggestions. 

Do you dry camp/boondock or do you prefer full hookups?

Do you like cities and city attractions or do you prefer out of doors, like National Parks, National Forests, State Parks?

Do you like to hike?  What distance?  1/4 to 1/2 mile or two hours to 8 hours of hiking.  Level ground or up to 1000' elevation gain/loss?

Here are some things you may or will encounter on your journey in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona:  High wind and dust, rain, sleet, snow and freezing rain storms!  The dust, sleet, snow and very windy conditions is mainly from El Paso, Texas to Tucson, AZ.  Other than that, go with Brett's suggestion....:) 

3 hours ago, prism16 said:

We are travelling from Florida to California on Rt 10 January to March 2018.

Wow you guys drive slower than I do.:D

Welcome to the forum. To many places to list. Top places might be NO., San Antonio, Texas golf cost, Texas hill country including the Fredericksburg area. 

Bill

I know it is hieracy to mention that there are other places to see and not just Texas^_^ I feel the stinging bullets now! Because Texas will comprise half of your journey you will find many things to see and do there. Arizona and northern New Mexico have always been favorites also.

Have a great trip.

Roland

I totally agree, Northern NM is one of our favorite areas, but NOT in winter in a motorhome.  We summer many times in Angel Fire, NM, but it is a SKI RESORT at over 8,000'. Average low in January is 6 degrees F!

Suggest a more southerly route-- check on your return and you may be able to visit some of the beautiful places in northern AZ and NM.

Roland.  You'll get no argument from me...a favorite place from late March to October is Ruidoso, NM., Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Sonoma, AZ.  Any where in Northern CA.  The problem is Jan, Feb and early March...during those months, I like Florida, Alabama Shores, Miss. coast, LA and Texas!

Happy?

Generally we also plan our trips by our stomach:D  We love to eat so food is a big part of our trips.

Carl, I just like to tease Texans. The state is a whole world in itself. I look forward to exploring Texas in greater detail this coming spring when we return from Arizona. I am happy to report that even my wife is getting excited about our trip.

We haven’t been to Florida for many years, always felt it was full of old people:lol: we would like to see New Orleans and that part of the Gulf.

While you can cover the distance in a week or so if you really roll, taking time to explore along the way, a week here, ten days there can make this a very pleasant trip.  You can certainly encounter some adverse weather this time of year but with patience and watching weather forecasts, much of this can be avoided.

Taking some time along the Gulf Coast may be pleasant but starting in Florida in January, I think you may find it pretty chilly.  If you catch the weather right, it could be enjoyable.  The most southern place you will find after leaving Florida will be in southern Texas.  If you follow the coastline south from Houston, you can find a number of parks along the coast.  Follow it far enough you'll get to Corpus Christi and Mustang Island.  This is a resort area reminiscent of the coastal vacation spots of the 1950's and 60's.  There is a post WWII aircraft carrier to visit, an excellent tour.  Areas north of Corpus Christi were damaged during Hurricane Harvey but south of there damage was light. 

We winter in the Rio Grande Valley which is the area near Brownsville and inland to McAllen and Mission, TX.  Winter here is mild.  There are many resort RV Parks, golf courses, wildlife areas and other attractions.  You can do some deep sea fishing out of Port Isabel and South Padre Island.  Migratory Birds bring birders from around the world.  Spending a few weeks here in late January or February should be quite pleasant.

Leaving to the west, you can travel up the Rio Grande along the border toward Great Bend National Park.  This is a very lightly traveled park.  There is much to explore if you enjoy hiking or four wheel driving.  Great scenery and no crowds.

To the west, you will come to Tuscon, many RV parks there and a gathering place for winter travelers.  Phoenix also has large resort parks for winter RV'ers.  Western Arizona on I-10 has the fabled RV mecca, Quartzite.  It's an RV mob scene.  If you like being in a crowd, this is your place.  Take I-8 along the southern border of Arizona and California to Yuma and San Diego.  From San Diego north to LA you will find a number of other winter RV resorts.  

If you enjoy National Parks and National Monuments, explore the National Parks website.  There are parks and monuments all along this route.

We will be leaving Florida on I10 mid January heading for TX, NM, AZ and NV before heading back to Atlanta, then when its "safe",  home to NY. We did the run to TX 2 years ago and after spending a few days in Grand Isle LA got ourselves back up to I10 and had a wicked bumpy stretch of road till we reached TX. Wish I could remember where the bad patch was so we could detour around it this time. Maybe someone can fill in my gap in memory? Otherwise we had a blast and hope to again.