norm49

Surge protector?

Mac, The use of surge protectors tend to depend on the owners skills to install them or the space availability to install a permanently installed unit. 

Many coaches have them installed as OEM equipment.

What is the Model year, Make and Model of your coach?

Rich.

I've used both. My last motorhome had a lot of space in the electrical compartment so I permanently mounted it. My present coach didn't have the room so I'm using the portable model. I had the permanent one mounted for almost 10 years with absolutely no problems. My current portable unit has been in use since last August. I've lost count the number of times it's saved me due to wiring problems, high and low voltage and ground issues. Progressive industries is the manufacturer.  

Well I like the portable ones like this. 

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34850-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519006563&sr=8-4&keywords=surge+guard&dpID=41PYMGXdBxL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The one thing that I like is the ability to check the power at a site with out moving in the RV. I have ben places where it took a couple of spots to get good power. I am glad I didn't have to move the coach just too see if the power was good.

Bill

When my external Progressive took a lighting hit and arched from the case to power pedestal and left burnt marks on the case of the progressive.  I decided that I would rather have that million volts from the lighting strick to terminate outside my RV rather than inside my RV.  Progressive had to replace my unit because it was damaged beyond repair.   

I went with the portable. Not as convenient as built in, but when it craps out (and it will) all that's needed is to plug in a new one.

57 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

I went with the portable. Not as convenient as built in, but when it craps out (and it will) all that's needed is to plug in a new one.

Or return it to Prgressive for a new one, lifetime warranties are nice. 

I had internal ones installed on two previous RVs.  They were more expensive and of course went with each RV when sold.  I'm sticking with external.  It winds up with my power cord and I don't hardly notice it is even there anymore.

Just make sure its one that doesn't only handle surges. They make them for "Surge protection" only and the more expensive versions that do other voltage issues.

Thanks to all.

My last MH had a hardwired one and my new one will have a Surge Guard power transferee with some protection but not high/low volts .Will be going with a TI portable with high/low volt protection.

Thanks again. Your comments were very helpful,

Mac