dck22

10 amp house / generator

I am definitely a newbie to Motor Homes. We just got  a Forester 3271 and I am trying to learn all about it (fat chance). I have the MH plugged into 10 amp house power to keep the batteries charged. Is it a problem to run the generator while plugged in this way? I want the generator to provide power for the furnace. It is cold up here in WNY.  Would the 10 amp house power be adequate to run the furnace if that and some lights were all that was drawing power?

I am going to hire an electrician to install a 30 amp circuit for the MH so this is just a stop gap solution. 

Thanks for any thoughts.

29 minutes ago, dck22 said:

I am definitely a newbie to Motor Homes. We just got  a Forester 3271 and I am trying to learn all about it (fat chance). I have the MH plugged into 10 amp house power to keep the batteries charged. Is it a problem to run the generator while plugged in this way? I want the generator to provide power for the furnace. It is cold up here in WNY.  Would the 10 amp house power be adequate to run the furnace if that and some lights were all that was drawing power?

I am going to hire an electrician to install a 30 amp circuit for the MH so this is just a stop gap solution. 

Thanks for any thoughts.

The 10amp should keep your battery's up. You do know the furnace runs on 12V not 110 don't you?

BE ABSOLUTLEY CLEAR to the electrician that you want a 30 amp 110 Volt outlet not a 220 dryer outlet. You will destroy your electrical system if he wires it to 220.

My power defaults to the generator when it is running. I would read the owners manual and see how your coach is set up. Do you have auto power switching or manual?

Where are you in WNY?

Bill

I would go with the 50A.  Unless your coach only have a 30A cord.  Right now you have a 12V use...AC is 120W and if you have 2, then you could only use one on a 30A!

Sorry, welcome to FMCA and the Forum! :D

Ten Amps 120volt will keep your batteries up via the CONVERTER which makes 12 volts available to charge your coach or house batteries. The furnace ,if propane fueled, will run fine to keep things warm assuming you have winterized the unit. By the way, between motorhomes , we owned a travel trailer and dry camped on Lake San Cristobal Colorado (9000 feet above sea level) for 10 days with our 2K Honda Inverter Generator  running continuously except stopping for oil changes every 50 hours. Overnight temp was in the teens. Of course not winterized. Nothing froze. We were snug. Good luck with your learning curve!

As an edit/ Motorhomes designed to be used in winter usually have a rear furnace that is designed to keep fresh water and holding tank( black and gray) from freezing  as well as the bedroom comfy. If you have only one furnace and critical areas are not heated, there might be trouble ahead. In our case, one heater kept everything from freezing while in the teens. Loved every minute of our solitude on a very beautiful lake.

Since the OP also mentioned running some lights, I think he's on the right track by adding a 30A.  No telling what else he might want on in the future!

How old is the house? I was under the impression that houses were 15-20 amp.

When in storage my MH us plugged into 110v15A and the converter keeps the batteries charged.  Your furnace is most likely propane with  12v blower so the batteries should stay charged.

As stated, there are other considerations in cold climates.

p.s., I'd go with 50Am for future purchases and the cost for 50A install versus 30A is not that much more.  Just make sure the wire gauge can support the 50A. AWG-8 will do but AWG-6 is better.

It has to be wired for RV as previously stated.

Wayne.

My house on the Island was built in 2006, I got it in 2007.  Up stairs is 15/20, down stairs, (my 4 car garage) is 10/20 inside and outside! :)

I think that there's some confusion here and a few different things being discussed at the same time. True, most 'normal' outlets in a house are rated for 15 amps. A few will be 20 amps such as in a kitchen or over a workbench. Whether or not the OP can add a 30-amp or 50-amp RV outlet has nothing to do with the age of the house, but depends on if there is room to add the needed circuit to the panel, and if there is adequate capacity on the main lines coming into the house. That said, I don't think I've seen a house where an electrician couldn't find a way to add a small sub-panel to add the desired outlet. Just be sure that the electrician knows you want a 120v outlet, NOT 240v.

The question of whether a 10-amp outlet is adequate to run the battery charger and possibly the furnace depends on what you're talking about. Most modern chargers/converters can probably be run, but if you have an older charger/converter it might draw too much power from the outlet and trip the breaker in the house.

If the furnace is an LP furnace, then it should be able to run on 12v. If that's the case, your charger/converter should easily be able to keep it running AND charge your batteries.

If your furnace is an electric unit such as a heat strip in a roof a/c or an electric heater, then your 10-amp circuit will probably not be adequate since these draw much more power.

There is one more factor, does OP have one or two Inverters?  I have 8 house batteries on 2 Magnum 2,800 inverters!  It will trip a 10A CB, due in part to ghosts, things that run all the time! So I need 20A for house and a trickle charge on my start batteries.   

10 hours ago, manholt said:

Up stairs is 15/20, down stairs, (my 4 car garage) is 10/20 inside and outside!

I wonder what weird electrician wired this Carl? :wub: Never have seen this configuration in a house, I bet it was hard finding 16 gauge romex wire, and I am wondering what color the receptacles are to indicate that they are rated at 10 amps.-_-

5 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I am wondering what color the receptacles are to indicate that they are rated at 10 amps.-_-

Merlot in color :lol:

Kay & Joe.

My house is on Pier and Beam, 2,636 Sq. ft., above my 1,100 sq. ft. garage!  I bought the place a year after it was built.  The piers are 12"x12", 9 foot center and 12" x 4" steel I-beams! :lol:

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

Merlot in color :lol:

That's my favorite also.:) 

My house is on Pier and Beam, 2,636 Sq. ft., above my 1,100 sq. ft. garage!  I bought the place a year after it was built.  The piers are 12"x12", 9 foot center and 12" x 4" steel I-beams!

Yep, that explains why 10 amp receps.:huh: