punxsyjumper

Hanging out at Marfa Lights

OK, we are boondocking at the Marfa Lights viewing area. It figures it's going to be the coldest night in a long time. Down to 30 degrees tonight. Anyway, when we pulled in here, we were the only ones here. Then they all started coming in, and coming in, and coming in. This place is crazy. Convinced Sweetie Pie to leave the warm coach and come out with me to see the lights. We've never been here before so we don't really know what we are looking for. I grabbed 2 beers and figured if we didn't see anything by the time I was done my brews, we'd leave. Well, my last 2 Moose Drools went down and all we saw were a bunch of zombies walking around. Nice place to park up for the night but don't ask me about no stinkin' ghost lights. Didn't see squat. Maybe somebody tripped over the cord and pulled the plug out of the wall. Cheers.

IMG_5730.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

You might want to check the angle of your tow bar. It should be as parallel to the ground as possible.  The forces increase a lot when it is not, leading to increase wear on the pivot points.

Level Tow Bar & Marfa Lights.

Tow bar looks within +/- tolerance to me.  Could be the angle of the photo!

Marfa Lights are not seen every night...some times their on vacation! :lol: 

6 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

You might want to check the angle of your tow bar. It should be as parallel to the ground as possible.  The forces increase a lot when it is not, leading to increase wear on the pivot points.

It's been checked and yes, within specs. Thanks

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Tow bar looks within +/- tolerance to me.  Could be the angle of the photo!

Marfa Lights are not seen every night...some times their on vacation! :lol: 

Yeh, I figured it was a hit and miss thing. Looks like we missed. Heading out this morning

Punsxy they weren’t there 1 month ago when we were there either. A Texas tall tale or mystery!

Roland

Have a Shriner friend that lives there on 64 sections off land...born there, school and now been back since 2003.  He has seen them many times, mostly in July to October...his theory is that they are a reflection of head lights against the shimmering heat coming of the Presidio Hwy., and Hwy.90.  Could be, but the lights have been seen, since before cars! Camp fires maybe, a lot of Apache & Mescalero encampments in that area, and Mexico.  Whatever the cause, who really cares?  I think their great...especially, after a good dinner and a half dozen Lone Star's!  At Bob's ranch house, half way between, Marfa and the Rio Grande, the lights are awesome... 

Interesting, I’ve been thinking of a trip out to Fort Davis, TX and Marfa is nearby.  Maybe I will see something...  To bad it’s 1500 miles from home.  But the next time we are in the Beaumont area visiting family, I might head over that way.

Patrick,

Semper Paratus 

7 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

There is a sine there somewhere, that it takes at least 6 Moose Drools to make the lights visible. 

Bill

Hahaha, now ya tell me. Thanks Buddy.

46 minutes ago, manholt said:

Have a Shriner friend that lives there on 64 sections off land...born there, school and now been back since 2003.  He has seen them many times, mostly in July to October...his theory is that they are a reflection of head lights against the shimmering heat coming of the Presidio Hwy., and Hwy.90.  Could be, but the lights have been seen, since before cars! Camp fires maybe, a lot of Apache & Mescalero encampments in that area, and Mexico.  Whatever the cause, who really cares?  I think their great...especially, after a good dinner and a half dozen Lone Star's!  At Bob's ranch house, half way between, Marfa and the Rio Grande, the lights are awesome... 

Yeh, I read about the research they did and it pretty much pointed to headlights on 67. Thought that was the end of it. Then when I got out there, one of the marker signs talks about a cowboy that saw them in 1880. According to them, the mystery is unsolved. We like the area so I'm sure we will be back and give it another go. I'll be sure and have at least 6 drools when we get there, haha.

2 hours ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Hahaha, now ya tell me. Thanks Buddy.

Try a few shots of this to help enhance your perception of the lights.B)

Image result for Partida Reposado Tequila + Image result for moose drool

Bill

Visions of the night....Good Tequila and Good Beer, both wasted.  Like Crown & Coke or Stoly & V8...ugh!!!

5 hours ago, Bosun said:

Interesting, I’ve been thinking of a trip out to Fort Davis, TX and Marfa is nearby.  Maybe I will see something...  To bad it’s 1500 miles from home.  But the next time we are in the Beaumont area visiting family, I might head over that way.

Patrick,

Semper Paratus 

Don't make it a day trip. It's 682 miles from Beaumont.

13 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Try a few shots of this to help enhance your perception of the lights.B)

Image result for Partida Reposado Tequila + Image result for moose drool

Bill

Yep, that's the beer but I was lacking quantity. I stay away from the hard stuff. For some reason, I drink the hard stuff, the cops show up. Like Dirty Harry says, "A Man's got to know his limitations".

42 minutes ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Yep, that's the beer but I was lacking quantity. I stay away from the hard stuff. For some reason, I drink the hard stuff, the cops show up. Like Dirty Harry says, "A Man's got to know his limitations".

See I told you you would see lights.:P

Bill

Gave the hard stuff up in Feb 2013, something about, you only have one Liver! :o A couple of Beers or glasses of wine a week is all I'm allowed. :( I don't smoke left handed cigarettes,  never have...don't think I could have been in the ASA, if I had.  They kick you out before graduation for getting a "Shadow" tattoo!  No sense of humor! :lol: