hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

The CBS evening news ran a segment from TX showing the extensive damage to one house that was without power, plumbing in the attic burst and  ruined the entire house. This cold is not supposed to happen and construction techniques have been established accordingly. I feel sad for all those affected.

Poor construction is a very contributing part of the frozen pipe problem, however there are steps on can take if no power.

Turn off the water at the city main. If you don't have the "T" handle a crescent wrench or channel locks will do but easier with the "T."  Open all  faucets in the house, both hot and cold and let the water drain out of the pipes.  Reverse the process to get things back to normal. People sometimes just don't know what to do so the word needs to be passed in the neighborhoods.

It is also the process that should be used if the city is on low water pressure.

How many will do it? Not many.

Wayne, we did both at the main in the street and the sub, about 100 feet from house!  We got enough water yesterday to take a shower & wash clothing, 7 days with out water, but we never had a problem with electric!

I do agree with Joe!  I will make some preventive changes at both houses, before we leave this summer....Richard made a good point also, he knows its coming every year, so he preps for it, we have to be preemptive, may or may not happen, but if it does....

Joe, both my homes on Galveston Island was built with 6" x 2", my old house in the hill country was built by a person from Main, walls, interior roof and floor was 10" thick with blown insulation after all elect and plumbing was laid in and connected.  R-39 top, bottom & sides!

Rented a house in Virginia once and the owner had insulated the attic. Insulation was the type with paper backing you could staple to the joists.  He took an extra step and did the inside of the roof stapling it to the runners.  Talk about a well insulated house.

Construction now-a-days is poor by comparison of yesteryear standards.  My son's house spring a leak from a broken pipe. It was on the patio side of the house.  When the plumber came and fixed it he corrected the problem of the pipe runniing along the brick on the inside of the outside wall.

Another friend had a leak in his attic plumbing.  The pipe was up against the eve before it went down into the house. No insulation on either one's pipes.