bm02tj

Toll roads in Illinois

Question

Route plan from BC  crossing into  North Dakota  on 52  down past Chicago  then over to Port Huron  crossing back into Canada 

the map shows best route is with toll roads 

Any Idea cost for tolls or better route at 7 miles to gallon 

Thanks Bruce 

24 answers to this question

Stay on 52 to Joliet, then  take 30 until your clear of Gary, IN., Traffic & construction is your enemy, tolls = $80+/- depending on how many axles you got.  I was there  in my Jeep last summer & it was scary on the Toll road. :wacko: I would avoid it at all cost in my 45' coach! 

Why 52 all that way?

I have three axles  10 tires on the road   44 ft with Jeep in the garage inside  not being towed 

Will look at that route  

Thanks Bruce 

Are you routing into the Chicago area for a purpose? If not, why not stay north across ND, MN, WI, MI, cross the bridge from the UP to Michigan's main body and then head to Port Huron. Lived in and around Chicago for 8 years and I now avoid it if I can. Traffic is often horrendous.

Carl's suggestion to use US30 is something I have done a number of times. 

We're in Elkhart now and heading west in about a week. That stretch between Gary and Joliet has always been some mean asphalt. Think we'll drop down thru Westville and over to Valparaiso and pick up 30. Run it out to Joliet and get back on 80 there. Thanks for the tip Carl.

That was the way Google routed our trip   I do not always

like the way GPS and Google does it 

will look at staying north 

Thanks Bruce 

An EZ Pass is a must if you are driving toll roads in Illinois.

Otherwise, blow through tolls in EZ Pass lane, but make a note of the plaza number on the sign. They are give you time to pay online for any tolls you miss, I believe it's seven days.

Much cheaper with a tag though.

Looking like the route on 2 to bridge on lake Michigan looks like the best way as it is 6 Hours shorter than Northern Ontario route going to my daughters home 

and only the bridge toll 

Thanks for the input 

Bruce  

Your welcome!  Still would like to know, what RV has 3 axles and 10 tires?  I'm 45  foot and have 8!

Carl,  It is most likely the single axle trailer he is hauling behind the coach with his toad on it...exciting if the has a tire go on it.:o:o Just guessing

25 minutes ago, rsbilledwards said:

It is most likely the single axle trailer he is hauling behind the coach with his toad on it

SEESAW :lol:?

It is a   1816MG Renegade by Kibbi    44 ft with a 16 ft garage  on a FL80 Freightliner that I carry my jeep in 

When we stay a month in Moab we use the garage as a bed room with a walk way through the bathroom to front 

1 hour ago, bm02tj said:

It is a   1816MG Renegade by Kibbi    44 ft with a 16 ft garage  on a FL80 Freightliner that I carry my jeep in 

When we stay a month in Moab we use the garage as a bed room with a walk way through the bathroom to front 

Can you attach some photos? Love to see it...

Super C - toy hauler !!   Using the garage for extra sleeping area when parked is interesting and creative use of space. 

Single or double drive axle setup ?

Rich.

Single drive  with dual tag 

When in one place for awhile we do not like setting the bed to a couch every day 

The Jeep is now on 35in tires and just fits with the roof on 

Bruce  

Your Jeep is a carbon copy of mine, along with 35 X 12.5 X R18?  I have NITTO Trail Grabers, 3" Lift.

42 minutes ago, manholt said:

Your Jeep is a carbon copy of mine, along with 35 X 12.5 X R18?  I have NITTO Trail Grabers, 3" Lift.

I was going to leave mine stock ??

Now with 4in long arm 4 speed Atlas air lockers and full skid plates underneath  it plays well in Moab 

Is that cool or what?  Love it. Had to be some trucking experience behind that?  Or a ton of doing things yourself?

US 2 across the north. Have run most of it from eastern Montana to the UP.  Little rough in ND the last time I was out. Probably the Oil Boom. Once you get east of Minot a ways it gets better.

Thank you for the pics and staying away from Chicago. Believe me when I say that it is a mess.

This a factory built unit 

I added the ramps ,  reinforced the floor and put anchors down to frame 

Bruce 

Bruce, that set up just screams "lets go have fun"!!! 

you should post photos of the inside and out on the "All about you" section. 

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Bruce.

Any problems with Big Rig Camping in BC?  Do you have off road trails for Jeeps?

Close to home I have a 5wide Little Guy Teardrop I tow with the jeep as the big rig is not good for anything but RV parks 

Yes we have lots around home but nothing like Moab