Jump to content
elibedarn

Ford Transmission Shudder in Overdrive

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Ray,, The thing is, if it is an ignition issue. One would think the Check Engine light would be on. There is the possibility of having one code stored and no light, when 2 codes are stored they will always light.

Have run into it when the OB2 readers are connected, one shows up. The O.P. does not mention running a code reader, but did mention that the problem only happens in overdrive and that if the Tow / Haul switch is engaged there is no shutter.

If a transmission pressure test was not run, then why did the transmission shop offer an additive. Less then 60K miles. The overdrive system can be damaged with a load / weight beyond a load.

Rich.

Wasn't me ☝️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jleamont said:

Thanks Herman!

I just went through this with Keons coach, took his almost 5000 miles of shuddering to turn the engine light on, and even then it was a “random misfire” code. His Fleetwood only took me a little over an hour to replace all 10 plugs and coil boots. I did find the culprit, one boot had a white dot on it where ignition spark was going to ground. Considering those boots were 19 years old he did ok. It was time for some TLC on the other 9!

Yes, just spark plugs wouldn't of fix that miss.  I had a customer question me why the boots at 100k spark plug change.  Lucky for me it had one soft boot from spilled oi to show him.  I told him to save him labor from redoing in a few thousand miles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Yes, just spark plugs wouldn't of fix that miss.  I had a customer question me why the boots at 100k spark plug change.  Lucky for me it had one soft boot from spilled oi to show him.  I told him to save him labor from redoing in a few thousand miles.  

I'm with you on that! Doesn't make sense to do the job 2x. Below are the boots I have always used;

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP7353589

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 8:57 PM, jleamont said:

Who recommended and put that in your transmission? Ford dealer?

Shudder, does this happen at low speeds turning right turns?

Shudder happens straight driving with light or heavy acceleration. No shudder in any other gears. Danny's transmission repair shop recommended I purchase the Ford Motorcraft 

 

On 12/16/2018 at 8:43 AM, jleamont said:

Rich, wrong transmission. The Torque shift or 5R110 came along a few years later. 2003 with the Diesel and gas somewhere around 05 ish.

He has the 4R100 in this year, this was the altered infamous E4OD, (not a good reputation) that gave most heart burn. The 4R100 was introduced in the late 90’s as a fix to the E4OD, from the outside they look identical other than the transmission lines were 3/8 vs the older had 5/16 and the cooler bypass during warmups. Other wise they look identical, sharing the same transmission pan.

that needs flushed with something like this; yeah, that’s in the corner of my garage

2AD9271B-B19C-4D6E-B2B7-C03C7A24525E.jpeg

Transmission was pumped by Gator Ford of Tampa. Mileage at the time was 38K. It now has 58k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you each for expert input. I appreciate your time and effort.

Transmission was pumped by Gator Ford of Tampa at 38K it now shows 58k. Danny's transmission shop recommended the Ford Motorcraft product. First try the motorcraft product and if it does not work then consider repairing.

Only dash light is ABS related.

Nice input regarding miss-firing. Would I not feel that out of overdrive?

The shudder seems not to be speed related. I can gain any speed I wish, out of overdrive without shudder, then engage overdrive with the same resulting shudder, 50, 60, 70. 

Will I harm the transmission by driving across country not using overdrive. I realize gas consumption will be greater.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elibedarn said:

Thank you each for expert input. I appreciate your time and effort.

Transmission was pumped by Gator Ford of Tampa at 38K it now shows 58k. Danny's transmission shop recommended the Ford Motorcraft product. First try the motorcraft product and if it does not work then consider repairing.

Only dash light is ABS related.

Nice input regarding miss-firing. Would I not feel that out of overdrive?

The shudder seems not to be speed related. I can gain any speed I wish, out of overdrive without shudder, then engage overdrive with the same resulting shudder, 50, 60, 70. 

Will I harm the transmission by driving across country not using overdrive. I realize gas consumption will be greater.

 

 

No, I don't think it will hurt it. Joe would know better than me. I would follow his suggestion on changing/flushing  the current fluid.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, elibedarn said:

Nice input regarding miss-firing. Would I not feel that out of overdrive?

you would if its severe, if its minor it would be more pronounced with the torque converter locked and engine under load. 

 

11 hours ago, elibedarn said:

Will I harm the transmission by driving across country not using overdrive. I realize gas consumption will be greater.

If its engine related it could damage the catalytic converter from the miss fire, if transmission related its not likely other than the friction modifier in the transmission that doesn't belong could destroy clutches. Ford use to recommend a transmission service every 15,000 - 20,000 miles on severe duty (which is loaded heavy, plowing snow or towing). An RV in my opinion qualifies for sever duty. I'd have it flushed again at a dealer, ask them to show you the old fluid, also have them connect IDS and perform a "power Balance" test and see if any cylinders are cutting out.

These transmissions were not equipped with synthetic fluids, you could have it installed but the lack of cooling capabilities and amount of fluid and poor filtration it would be a waste of money as it would still need to be flushed on a regular basis to remove the crud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, jleamont said:

Is that part number XL-3? 

Yes it is XL-3 and the parts counter man at Lakeland Ford assures me it is designed for transmissions. Having said that and double checking the product use I do not object to having the transmission pumped again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elibedarn said:

Yes it is XL-3 and the parts counter man at Lakeland Ford assures me it is designed for transmissions. Having said that and double checking the product use I do not object to having the transmission pumped again.

Based off of your mileage, you are actually due anyway. You might want to call Motorcraft and ask, no where on that bottle does it state it can be installed into an automatic transmission, it only mentions axles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for a squeaky, clean inside, transmission and new fluid.  Not sure if I would do it at Lakeland Ford, there's got to be a good transmission shop in Lakeland, FL.  There are a lot of coach owners in your area...been there!

Merry Christmas🎄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Here is a link on this same topic nine years ago on an entirely different site, https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091229151642AAwrnFs&guccounter=1

Kay, when all of the different fluids became critical I would often see vehicles towed in with no movement, pull the trans pan down and it looked like paper mache in the pan, it was clutch material that melted off the clutches from incorrect fluid. Were not talking about adding gear or motor oil to an automatic transmission it was just the wrong spec automatic transmission fluid. After you spoke to the customer it was usually something an auto parts store told them they could use or some snake oil product that got dumped in to improve MPG's. Easy rebuild but expensive. I had an engineer tell me "today's transmissions are like your body, see what happens if you get the wrong blood put into your body" :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jleamont said:

Kay, when all of the different fluids became critical I would often see vehicles towed in with no movement, pull the trans pan down and it looked like paper mache in the pan, it was clutch material that melted off the clutches from incorrect fluid. Were not talking about adding gear or motor oil to an automatic transmission it was just the wrong spec automatic transmission fluid. After you spoke to the customer it was usually something an auto parts store told them they could use or some snake oil product that got dumped in to improve MPG's. Easy rebuild but expensive. I had an engineer tell me "today's transmissions are like your body, see what happens if you get the wrong blood put into your body" :wacko:

Do you recommend the transmission be pumped rather than removing the pan? I will make an appointment after Christmas for your recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flushed should remove all fluids in it. Pulling the pan couldn't hurt to take a look around but the "filter" inside really isn't much of a filter anymore. Its only designed to stop large particles. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, my nephew was a certified Ford (ASE or whatever it's called). He told me that Ford torque converter had a small drain plug where it can be drained. Do you know if that is still true on the newer transmission? It has been about 10 years since Jeff was working as a tech.

Herman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herman on the coach in question it should assuming it has never had the Torque converter replaced, the new ones do not. Most new cars and trucks don’t have a dip stick either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...