schoonmakerjon

Evaluating Prevost purchase

I've been evaluating purchasing a 16-20year Prevost motorhome.   Given appropriately documented maintenance records, these units appear to be a reasonable purchase, i.e. ~200K miles w/85%-90% price depreciation.   Also, I've spoken to a few folks providing entertainer coaches to the music industry, and have some understanding of these units, configuration, usage levels (500K-1m miles) and cost.   Since I need 3-bunks and space for 2 large dogs, my configuration needs look more like a Prevost Entertainer coach than a motorhome.   However, for a similar cost, the motorhome will have 50%-80% lower mileage/easier usage.

So I'm considering purchasing this RV/coach as a motorhome and than reconfiguring some of the galley and bath/shower areas into 3-bunks, dog crate area, etc.   My reconfiguration spend target is ~$15K-$20K.   Does this appear to be a reasonable approach to interested members reading this post?

If so, what ideas, problems, recommendations do you all have for an effective result?    Thank you for your help.

schoonmakerjon.  Welcome to the Forum!

Are you looking to get a 40 foot or 45 foot?  No slide out or up to 2?  Remodeling a Prevost is not an easy task, so it will cost more than a "cookie cutter" coach like mine.  I would recommend you to call Marathon, Liberty, Featherlight, etc and ask them!  Lot's of electronics, plumbing, etc that we don't have.  Care & feeding of a Prevost is not cheap!

How much of the work can you do yourself? If you can do most, that is reasonable expectations, if you must depend on others for more than 50%, your figure is about 50% low. Another consideration for this type coach, how tall are you? Over 6' look for a raised roof, if under, stay away from the raised roof, the added height cost pretty close to 1 MPG.  I did my complete conversion for $25,000.00 on the MCI 41.5' stripped bus. I of course did all the work myself. Best engine to look for is a C60 Detroit, parts are readily available and almost any truck shop will work on it. Not knocking Cat or Cummings, but the Detroit is easier to find a mechanic for a bus, at a more reasonable price. Oh yes almost forgot, we have four Yorkies that go everywhere we go, I built two kennels, one for each side of the couch, in the parlor,  made sure that heat and AC vents were placed so that they stay comfortable, the kennels look like lamp or knick knack stands.

10 hours ago, schoonmakerjon said:

I've been evaluating purchasing a 16-20year Prevost motorhome.   Given appropriately documented maintenance records, these units appear to be a reasonable purchase, i.e. ~200K miles w/85%-90% price depreciation.   Also, I've spoken to a few folks providing entertainer coaches to the music industry, and have some understanding of these units, configuration, usage levels (500K-1m miles) and cost.   Since I need 3-bunks and space for 2 large dogs, my configuration needs look more like a Prevost Entertainer coach than a motorhome.   However, for a similar cost, the motorhome will have 50%-80% lower mileage/easier usage.

So I'm considering purchasing this RV/coach as a motorhome and than reconfiguring some of the galley and bath/shower areas into 3-bunks, dog crate area, etc.   My reconfiguration spend target is ~$15K-$20K.   Does this appear to be a reasonable approach to interested members reading this post?

If so, what ideas, problems, recommendations do you all have for an effective result?    Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forum. I would talk to someone who can give you better answers as to cost. I would talk to Texas Custom Coach and get a better idea of cost. http://texascustomcoach.com/

Carl probably has the boses home number.:P

Bill

Prevost conversions are nice rigs, for certain. Bus conversions, in general, provide many things that are not generally available in typical motor homes including ride, handling, and safety on the road.

Be aware that even though you're looking at vehicles with a sales prices reflecting depreciation from the original sales price, you're still going to have much higher service and repair bills than a typical motor home. Not sure from your posts if you have previous experience with bus conversions or not, but this is one of the things that tends to surprise new owners. Doing lots of the work yourself can help you save quite a bit, but then you'll need to get a model old enough so that it doesn't come filled with computers which require proprietary software.

This forum will be lots of help getting things on the house side in order. There is also a Prevost community online where Prevost owners share information specific to the Prevost, and there are a few good bus conversion sites which are very helpful with the bus chassis information. As a bus conversion owner I participate in the bus conversion sites along with FMCA to get information from both sides.

I have a good friend that has worked on Prevost and MCI buses as well as his primary job"Keeping School Buses" ready to safely go.

RE:. High end coaches. He was more impressed by the MCI units. Workmanship and durability.

13 hours ago, obedb said:

I have a good friend that has worked on Prevost and MCI buses as well as his primary job"Keeping School Buses" ready to safely go.

RE:. High end coaches. He was more impressed by the MCI units. Workmanship and durability.

I went with MCI also for that reason, the year model of mine, 1988, Greyhound actually owned MCI, as well as several other years. These particular years longevity and safety were primary concerns. Since the Greyhound selloff of MCI, the manufacturer has retained very high standards. When I need parts, I call MCI and usually have replacement parts within 24 hours, on a 31 year old coach!