gamecock1212

RV cover

I've read a mixed review about cover use. Seems like in some cases they do damage and/or actually promote problems (like mildew, paint wear, and mice).

Any particular reason for getting a cover?

I had a cover back in the 80's...never again!  PIA to put on and take off.  Then I got mildew and no amount of cleaning would get it off...gel coat, no full body paint.

11 hours ago, gamecock1212 said:

We just purchased our first fifth wheel this summer.  Now that we have winterized it, we want to get a cover for it and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a brand to buy? 

Congratulations on your new fifth wheel and welcome to the forum. If you put it and your tow vehicle in your signature it will help to get better quicker answers in the future. 

I bet by now you see there are some pros and cons to using a cover. Now hopefully someone who has used one will jump in with their opinion. 

Where are you storing the fifth wheel?

Bill

Our first 5er was a 1992, I covered it with a cheap farm tarpaulin from  Harbor Freight until we traded for a 2005, we covered it with the same item. Each tarp lasted 3-4 years, sun rot was the destroyer, I added grommets and used elastic bungee cords to hold it in place. From the first tarp use I never spotted any wear/rub marks on the 5er, due to the bungee cords holding the tarp continually taut. The air conditioners held the tarp off the roof enough to promote water run-off and allow air circulation.

Every time I washed the RV I added 2 oz bleach to a 5 G bucket of auto soap and water mixture. This removed any surface mold/mildew, even from the plastic trim and awnings.

Those tarps, back then, cost about $40 for a 50' X 30' size. The last one I bought was 60' X 40' and cost $60; never got to use it, we built a 60' X 40' pole barn first, then traded for this MH.

12 hours ago, RayIN said:

Each tarp lasted 3-4 years, sun rot was the destroyer.

I know this sounds redundant to many on this subject, but because of new readers coming on board daily, I will restate this again. Black is the only color that is UV proof naturally, therefore in this case a black tarp outdoors will outlast any other color many times.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:13 AM, gamecock1212 said:

We just purchased our first fifth wheel this summer, We want to get a cover for it and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a brand to buy? 

I don't necessarily have an opinion on which brand is better than another but if you go to  Amazon.com and search "RV Covers", you can choose from the multitude that are listed to fit your Fifth Wheel and budget accordingly.  

Personally I don't use one but I do have several friends that swear by them.  Most have bought thru Amazon.

3 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I know this sounds redundant to many on this subject, but because of new readers coming on board daily, I will restate this again. Black is the only color that is UV proof naturally, therefore in this case a black tarp outdoors will outlast any other color many times.

OOPS!  I only had the option of yellow or blue. An aside; the local pot patrol planes/choppers used my bright yellow tarp as a marker for the ground units. I built the garage (red) and they switched to using my garage.

I would never store an RV without using a garage or at least a roof.  My last 3 motorhomes have been in the garage I built in 88.  They don't deteriorate like when left outside.

1 hour ago, RayIN said:

OOPS!  I only had the option of yellow or blue. An aside; the local pot patrol planes/choppers used my bright yellow tarp as a marker for the ground units. I built the garage (red) and they switched to using my garage.

Nothing personal is meant, but my statement on color was not taught in school and many people have never heard of this. My association with both commercial and amateur radio is what made me aware of this. Many of us used long wire antenna and were put up using whatever rope was available, after 3 to 4 years the rope would fall to pieces (Patsy Cline):ph34r:, after learning about black I have since always used black rope, some of my antennas are still in place after 20 years with black rope. I have searched and have been successful in finding black tarps as well as a multitude of other things over the years. Ray, your statement concerning pot planes brought back memories of living in Florida it the 80's, I was traveling a highway near High Springs Fl., when a strange voice starting telling me to pull over and stop, I looked in the mirror and didn't see anything, then suddenly the voice was much louder and I stopped immediately, a plane dropped down on the highway came to a stop on the shoulder, 5 guys dressed in black jumped out of the plane with military style weapons running. That night on the news was a story about a pot field being raided that day.:wub:

2 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I would never store an RV without using a garage or at least a roof.  My last 3 motorhomes have been in the garage I built in 88.  They don't deteriorate like when left outside.

Gamecock1212 I agree with dd69, unless you bought an older starter model or one in poor shape.  We are on RV number six and all of the nicer ones were kept in covered and locked storage.  They do better out of the sun, hail, snow, etc.

My last 7 have been in garages, some in rental units, some at home.  At home I have 50/30/20 amp, water & dump, next on list is Temp control.  We have a Barnominium in the Valley, just drive inn & enjoy a 2 bedroom condo!  

We drive or pull expensive toys...I want mine to last.  

Kaysmith, had that happened to me, I would have had a smelly ride the rest of my trip.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

My last 7 have been in garages, some in rental units, some at home.  At home I have 50/30/20 amp, water & dump, next on list is Temp control.  We have a Barnominium in the Valley, just drive inn & enjoy a 2 bedroom condo!  

We drive or pull expensive toys...I want mine to last.  

Some years ago I used to have the link to plans for similar "Barnominium" type RV + apartment building. One of the plans was arranged so you walked thorough the inside apartment door on the same level as the RV door, yet both doors would function normally if need be. That website disappeared about 12-15 yrs ago. If I recall, the website was connected to Purdue University's school of architecture.

image.png.ef82c0e409b8dc3cd4f06b1e1e4e03e2.png

Ray, is that your "Red Roof", pot patrol beacon?  

All you have to do is Goggle..barndominium plans!  There are lots of them in Texas.  

No, that one is not mine, belongs to a friend, mine is all red and a bit larger-60'x40'x15', I have room for my MH, my 1932 Chevrolet, my Silverado pickup, small workshop,  the obligatory lawn mowers, tractor, and a 20'x16' storage balcony above the old Chevy. This was 2 days after finishing the floor:image.thumb.jpeg.0c1f4345465e8def53ac6136191b4065.jpeg

I apologize Herman, that was my fault. I still think a tarp will suffice,IF he uses about twice the  amount of grommets already in the tarp and elastic "bungee" type hold-downs. It does look cheap, but for me efficiency and low cost was foremost.

That ok.

If I were going to use a tarp or made for an RV cover I would place a couple of large size beach balls under the cover/tarp to allow as much air circulation as possible. That may keep down the possibility of mildew. Just a thought.

Herman

Herman,, the issue of mildew is a matter of where in the US you park it.  What works in IN, may not in TX or other Gulf state's!

On 11/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, hermanmullins said:

That ok.

If I were going to use a tarp or made for an RV cover I would place a couple of large size beach balls under the cover/tarp to allow as much air circulation as possible. That may keep down the possibility of mildew. Just a thought.

Herman

Some do that here in IN, I never did because the 5er roof A/C units held the tarp up enough for air circulation. We've also used beach balls to hold up slide awnings in snowy weather. That kept snow melt from puddling on the topper and freezing solid, which prevented slide retraction.

I suppose you'd have to drive North a few hundred miles to get snow.