Jump to content
Wilmotte

1979 Apollo 3000 DB Remodel - Any Apollo owners here?

Recommended Posts

Got ahold of a vintage 1979 Apollo 3000 db that I’ve started to refurbish and I have yet to find any forums or information on these bad boys other than on the brand itself.

If you know of any good resources I’d love to hear from you!

10C71583-B8D5-4F8A-9636-9C9D80CE5CDD.jpeg

59CFCE38-9B50-4D01-AC79-531DDAF94744.jpeg

Edited by Wilmotte
Grammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilmotte,

Yes, Welcome to the Forum.

What kind of information are you looking for? You basically have a blank canvas before you. Plumbing is where you may have some limitations. You might try going to Search and type in Conversions. There are a number of folks here that have done conversions that look great. They may have some insight that may help.

I hope some with Apollo coaches out there. 

Good luck and again Welcome.

Herman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

You might try going to Search and type in Conversions. There are a number of folks here that have done conversions that look great. They may have some insight that may help.

As Herman said, the best thing to do is look at some bus conversions. I have done three and which included two motorhomes and one and a half bus conversions, half is still in progress. Here is the best source of information that I found and used many tricks of the trade this included in it. It will be well worth while to order it and anyone else that likes to piddle with their own coach. https://www.amazon.com/Bus-Converters-Bible-2nd/dp/1890461202

Good luck with your project and either get back here or save my FMCA credentials if I can be of any help. I have seen the Apollo brand before and it is a great looking and well built machine. What engine does this one have in it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that coach new!  If memory serves me, it was a 454. 4 barrel Holly, engine, on a Dodge chassis.  Twin 75 gallon fuel, a separate tank for Generator.  ours had twin bunk beds, rear bath, fresh water tank was under the driver side bed (bladder type).  19.5 tires....I'll try to remember more specs.  

Since we had 3 Apollos in 5 years, they run into each other in my mind.  Apollo 3300 and the 35' diesel.  There is an Apollo club in Calif.  & we used to have an Apollo FMCA Chapter in Texas that held rally's with the Renegades Chapter...Herman, you might know some of them, that was members of Renegades back in late 1980's to late 1990's! 

Apollo, lost when it came out with a DP, the same year as Blue Bird 35' DP and Foretravel.

Edited by manholt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the suggestions and help!

It’s got a 440 which seems a little under powdered given how heavy it is, but overall the engine is in good shape.

I was initiated into the project with a spewing gas tank as soon as I pulled into my driveway. Apparently the patch kit on the tank decided to abandon ship as soon as I got home. ended up transferring 50 gallons of gas from the main tank to the auxiliary tank. It was pretty exciting.

As of right now I’m trying to isolate all the leaks in the plumbing just like @hermanmullins said.
It looks like I’ve got a leak under the tub which it looks like I can’t reach unless I take the tub out? Any suggestions?
 

Thank you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

As Herman said, the best thing to do is look at some bus conversions. I have done three and which included two motorhomes and one and a half bus conversions, half is still in progress. Here is the best source of information that I found and used many tricks of the trade this included in it. It will be well worth while to order it and anyone else that likes to piddle with their own coach. https://www.amazon.com/Bus-Converters-Bible-2nd/dp/1890461202

Good luck with your project and either get back here or save my FMCA credentials if I can be of any help. I have seen the Apollo brand before and it is a great looking and well built machine. What engine does this one have in it?

This is the stuff I’m looking for!

Thanks for the resource!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wilmotte said:

It looks like I’ve got a leak under the tub which it looks like I can’t reach unless I take the tub out? Any suggestions?
 

Replace it with pex. If there is room just run anouther line. It may have the old gray looking lines(I don't remember what it is called) They get brittle and crack. I would look at replacing it wherever possible with pex.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That appears to be in amazing condition for its age!

Good luck if you need any help just make a new post in the proper section. There is a lot of experience in here that is always willing to help. 

Please post photos as you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jleamont said:

That appears to be in amazing condition for its age!

Good luck if you need any help just make a new post in the proper section. There is a lot of experience in here that is always willing to help. 

Please post photos as you go.

It’s in great condition all things considered!

I definitely will! Where is the proper section?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was 2 440 engines used in MHs. The standard 440 has the low mount water pump. Top of the pump is level with the top of the timing cover. The 440P (truck) has the high mount water pump. 1/2 of the pump extends above the timing cover. Neither engine was known for performance or fuel mileage. If you have the standard 440, you can add 440 heads and exhaust from a HP 1968 or later 440 MOPAR car, along with the camshaft and wake up that old beast.

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RLS7201 said:

There was 2 440 engines used in MHs. The standard 440 has the low mount water pump. Top of the pump is level with the top of the timing cover. The 440P (truck) has the high mount water pump. 1/2 of the pump extends above the timing cover. Neither engine was known for performance or fuel mileage. If you have the standard 440, you can add 440 heads and exhaust from a HP 1968 or later 440 MOPAR car, along with the camshaft and wake up that old beast.

Richard

Looks like I’ve got the standard where the water pump is level with the timing cover.

I’d love to take this thing out and rebuild it but I’m intimidated by how much it would take to get it out of there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill, I think it was Polly.

Wilmotte, your right, it was 440...the 1981 had the 454. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 440P engine used different rods to handle the compression increase. Be careful when adding stuff to increase performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't do any compression increases because you can't get good enough gas to run. All the current stuf is to low octane. 

Wilmotte, In one of the threads you were talking about rebuilding the motor. Why does it have problems?

Before you do anything else you need to check the date codes on the tires.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I wouldn't do any compression increases because you can't get good enough gas to run. All the current stuf is to low octane. 

Wilmotte, In one of the threads you were talking about rebuilding the motor. Why does it have problems?

Before you do anything else you need to check the date codes on the tires.

Bill

I have a pretty steady oil leak and it seems like it’s coming from several spots. Im having a tough time isolating where the leaks are originating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of compression increase did the 440P get? The 440P is a low compression truck engine. It shouldn't have high compression.

Are you thinking about the 1978 upgrade MOPAR did to all the passengine car B block engines?

Rihard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was done with the block (cylinder head deck). it only raised to compression but it also raised the torque significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I have a Apollo 2600 RB. I wonder how you got the outside to shine like this. I tried a few products but regular car polish doesn't work, since it is fiberglass.

AndyK

Edited by AndyK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 10:07 AM, RLS7201 said:

There was 2 440 engines used in MHs. The standard 440 has the low mount water pump. Top of the pump is level with the top of the timing cover. The 440P (truck) has the high mount water pump. 1/2 of the pump extends above the timing cover. Neither engine was known for performance or fuel mileage. If you have the standard 440, you can add 440 heads and exhaust from a HP 1968 or later 440 MOPAR car, along with the camshaft and wake up that old beast.

Richard

We had a RV shop in the 70s. The engine used in the M600 Dodge chassis was a 440-3.  The -3 had cooling passages around the spark plugs.  Made some changes for better performance.  Installed a Cloyes double roller chain timing set with the cam advanced 3 degrees.  Also installed turbocharger.  On my personal coach, 80 Sportscoach, with that engine I installed twin turbos and electronic fuel injection, made it a real performer.  Gas was cheap then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, f442485 said:

It was done with the block (cylinder head deck). it only raised to compression but it also raised the torque significantly.

All B blocks, 413 and larger were high deck motors.

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 9:18 AM, AndyK said:

Hi,

I have a Apollo 2600 RB. I wonder how you got the outside to shine like this. I tried a few products but regular car polish doesn't work, since it is fiberglass.

AndyK

I bought it like this and the fellow I bought from said he just took a buffer wheel to it.

 Not sure what if any product he used!

sorry for the lack of info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...