Metfan112

Towing Question

Hello. I'm new to the rv world and have a towing question. I own a 2014 Chrysler town and country. I'm being given conflicting info on how this vehicle  can be towed. One dealership told me I can use a tow dolly and another tells me I cannot. Based on the research I've done this vehicle cannot be towed flat or on a dolly without modification(transmission pump).

I also own a 2012 Traverse. The research I've done tells me a tow dolly won't  work due to the width of the vehicle. Towing it flat may okay not work either.

I'm pretty much thinking an open trailer is the way to go for versatility but I'm not sure. Any advice given would be appreciated. 

Metfan --

Welcome to the forum!  There are many great forum members willing to provide help any time?    An old forum posting from October 2014 asks the same question you have --> 

The original poster of that question purchased a Demco KarKaddy for their 2014 Town & Country.   Per their website, Demco now has a robust looking KarKaddy X for larger vehicles --> https://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/tow-dollies/karkaddyss-1

I did a quick Google search for your Town & Country owners manual which was found at this website --> http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/chrysler/2014-townandcountry.pdf    Page 559 of the manual says towing a front wheel drive Town and Country using a dolly is "OK".   Page 560 of the manual provides direction on how to use a dolly to two the Town & Country.     Presumably the paper version of the owner's manual in your T&C has the same guidance. 

Hope this info is useful !

Many of us who have tried the tow dollies soon tired of dragging them around.  They weigh around 500 lbs.  Many RV sites are back-in meaning you'll need to drop the car off the dolly and put it aside before backing into the site.  Then you'll need to figure out where to store the dolly.  Flat towing is a lot easier.  You can't back-up with a car in tow but disconnecting it is a lot easier.  Convenience is a big factor to consider before you make your decision.  

Edited by moonwink

Metfan112, depending on your mechanical abilities you could potentially set up the Traverse for not a lot of money.

One of our friends bought a used tow bar, base plate and a used Brake Buddy and he wasn't in to all of it for $500.00. Took him the better part of a day to get everything installed in his driveway. 

The only way to be 100% sure as to whether or not a vehicle is towable four down is to look at the owner's manual.  If it is towable, the directions will be spelled out in the manual.

6 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Be careful as sometimes the owners manual is a cut and paste of the previous year.  If in any doubt call the manufacturer.

Yup, call mfgr. I have asked at a dealership before and all I got was a deer in the headlights look.

Thanks for all the info. I wound up buying a flatbed trailer. Got a great deal on a used won that tilts. This way I can transport either vehicle without using 2 different setups. Most sites are wide enough to allow trailer storage and this one tilts so I can make it work. All the advice and support really helped my decision and I look forward to more discussion. As a first-time  RV'er I'm sure won't be  the last time I utilize  this valuable resource.  Thanks again. 

Metfan112.  Only time and experience will determine what is best for you!  I suspect you'll end up with a Jeep..:) 

10 hours ago, Metfan112 said:

Thanks for all the info. I wound up buying a flatbed trailer. Got a great deal on a used won that tilts. This way I can transport either vehicle without using 2 different setups. Most sites are wide enough to allow trailer storage and this one tilts so I can make it work. All the advice and support really helped my decision and I look forward to more discussion. As a first-time  RV'er I'm sure won't be  the last time I utilize  this valuable resource.  Thanks again. 

Don't forget, ST =special trailer tires are limited to 65MPH maximum, except for about 2 brands; some mfgrs.recommend replacing them every 3 years.

I'm assuming you have experience backing a trailer but if you've never done it with a motorhome I highly suggest finding an empty parking lot and practice. Most RV Parks will not have long enough of a pull thru space to stay hooked up so you'll need to store the trailer in their storage area and usually at an additional charge. They are almost always an area you'll need to back the trailer to park. You can forget camping in most state and national parks. Hopefully you've considered all these problems.