wildebill308

Where did you go last year?

Question

I thought it might be interesting to see where everyone traveled last year. I found we had been quite a few places even with all the problems out there. 

To make it more uniform lets try this format.

Number of states. You can only count a state the first time you cross the line. 

Number of campgrounds you stayed at. You can count one place each time it was a separate stay. I have some we stay at going out and coming back.

Number and type of dry camping places you stayed?

How many miles did you put on your RV last year?

Bill

20 answers to this question

16 states, 6 campgrounds,  about 30 nights boon docking (Harvest Host, Walmart, Sams Club, Cracker Barrel, friends, relatives),  approximately 3K miles and 4 months.

8 states, 8 campgrounds, 4 nights boondocking, approx 4,000 miles on the RV, and another 1500 traveling by car.

Visited 9 national parks and spent 10 days with relatives.  Several weekend trips to the mountains too.

8 States, 21 + campgrounds, 4 boondocking in rest areas and once in Hospital parking lot for 6 days.  9,000 miles + in coach, 3000+ miles in Jeep! :rolleyes::P

Bill, my wife's idea of ruffing it is no Walmart nearby the RV park.

Hey, when we can't afford the rv parks anymore, we'll just stop RV'ing.

Did pretty good with the # of states and CG visited. Don't know what's in store this year.

12 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Drycamping! What's that?

You and my wife are of the same opinion about that. We did do a little though when Hurricane Henrie Knocked the power out for the state of RI when we were there. Glad I had a generator. 

Bill

Well I will say I didn't think we had done this well till I got to adding it up.

We did 21 different states. One thing that helped add states is after Gillett we went to Maine (Grand kids involved) it was easy to add states up there.

We stayed at 51 campgrounds.

We put 11,620 miles on the RV. I didn't cheack the milage on the CR-V but it tends to mimic the RV. when I  kept track before.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:34 PM, wayne77590 said:

Drycamping! What's that?

My wife feels the same as yours about dry camping. But what do you do if the power for the whole state goes out? We were at ground zero when Henri came ashore. It had weekend some but still took out the power in RI. We actually had 2 experiences with Hurricane level stormes. The second one ( I think it was Ida) was  more troubling when we were in the Lancaster KOA was the storm was spawning tornadoes. 

Bill

We are in the potential for hurricanes here on the Gulf Coast. The only good thing about a hurricane is the advanced warnings we get.  So, when threatened we head out of town.  Way back when we didn't have an RV for awhile we evacuated 150 miles up the road. Guess what, the hurricane came through that area as a Cat 1.  Many years later we had a 5th wheel and got rid of it for our first 2008 MH. We evacuated again to about 100 miles in a different direction...guess what, Cat 1 right over us. It was our maiden voyage in that MH. Unfortunately I did not stop for fuel so after 3 days of running the generator I knew I had to find fuel. We departed for a different area. Consider that when power goes out, fuel cannot be pumped so running on fumes we found a station. Quite a hassle to get into, and Earlene had to guide me backing up to get out...but it all worked.

We evacuate for any threat of a hurricane, and I always keep a full tank of fuel now. Fill up before getting to a CG and fill up before putting it in storage.  I figure with 150 gallons of fuel I can run the generator for a good bit.

I hate tornado areas.

So, when anyone asks me where I'm going to evacuate to, I tell them that wherever I go, go in the opposite direction. 🤡

oops! Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry, but not going to erase ALL that typing.

Edited by wayne77590
Oops!

Wayne, The outher problem is where are you going to go if all the areas around you are flooded. I chose to stay on the hi ground. 

23 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Unfortunately I did not stop for fuel so after 3 days of running the generator I knew I had to find fuel.

I am an advocate of filling up before parking for that reason. Guess what I didn't do before  Henri. Yes we had been down in Mystic Seaport and had no good places to fuel. I thought we could get by till we left on 1/2 tank. Well when it got close to 1/4 I went and bought a gas can and borrowed a couple more. Found a station open and added 20 gal to the tank. 8 hours later the power came back on. Might have made it without adding diesel but felt better having more.

Bill

Bill, when we evacuate we go to Hill Country and it is high ground.

I did lose my '08 to Harvey but that is because it was in the repair shop and they said they had never had water in their parking lot. Well, they never had 54 inches of rain fall on them in a short period of time either!
If  I had picked it up and put it back in storage, or here at the house, it would have stayed dry.

Texas City was an island with all the flooding around us. We have 7 or 8 Archimedes principle pumps around the city that pumps water out, and it worked overtime for Harvey.

Yep, same for us getting close to 1/4 tank first time out. Quite a relief once we had a full tank again.

Responding to Bill's original post, being an upper level manager at a Midstream / Downstream / Chemicals energy company and with 2021 being another very difficult financial year due to Covid, I didn't get many chances to take time away from work except for a few long weekends with my lovely bride.   Those weekends included:

1) A trip to the Texas Hill Country  last March for the "Wine and Wildflowers Journey" Passport event on the Texas Wine Trail (needed a lot of wine to reduce my stress).  We stayed at the Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville

2) A trip to San Antonio in May to explore the many historic Missions in the San Antonio area and dine on the River Walk.  We stayed at the Alsatian RV Resort in Castroville

3) Our "dry camping" outings were weekend outings to Baton Rouge for LSU's four home game against SEC conference opponents.  We travelled to Lake Charles on Thursday afternoons of those weekends to spend the night at the A+ RV Park near Sulphur, LA to have dinner with youngest son and his wife and kids, get our good Cajun vittles at Rouse's Market, fill the fresh wat tank on Friday morning a drive to Baton Rouge for two nights of dry camping with many other motorhome owners / LSU fans.  

All six outings were within a "huge" 300 mile radius of Houston so our total travel distance was a very disappointing 3,200 miles.  The number of states visited was a dismal grand total of two (if traveling in state counts!!).   

Even though the weekend adventures were few and the distance travelled small, each outing was extremely enjoyable with the wife in the Hill Country and with family and friends in Baton Rouge.   LSU defeating Texas A&M (again!!) was an especially enjoyable weekend. 

On 1/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, wayne77590 said:

Wayne -

I initially missed your comment about your wife's opinion of "roughing it".    My lovely bride is "Mrs. Picky" for RV parks with Buckhorn Lake RV Resorts in Kerrville, TX as her "measuring stick" for all other RV parks.  The RV parks I choose need to come close to Buckhorn Lake quality or she ain't totally happy.  And you likely are very familiar with the phrase "happy wife = happy life".

Edited by fagnaml

7 hours ago, fagnaml said:

The RV parks I choose need to come close to Buckhorn Lake quality or she ain't totally happy.

That is a hard standard to maintain. We were there a couple of times. 

Hope you can getaway more this year.

Bill

Mike, I totally understand.

My wife is also the right seat GPS.

If we could count in-state travel I could increase our count a few.

Edited by wayne77590

16 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

You can add Places you stayed in state. We have stayed at the same place like Buckhorn Lake several times. You get to count each instance you stayed some place.

People don't realize That it is further going from FW to Port Isabel than from Portland Main to Washington DC.😉

Bill  

How about Orange, TX to Anthony, TX, 873 miles.

That is 22 miles longer than from Fort Kent, ME to Washington, DC, going through 5 states.