Jlfulcherjr

What type engine coolant do you use 8.3 Cummins.

Don't go by color as the formulations can be any color. Seeing as how Cummins is pretty much tied to Fleetguard, I would do a drain, flush, and install Fleetguard Compleat if you aren't sure. Some guys are using Final Charge

This old FMCA  thread fully explains which coolant the ISC engine calls for and how to clean, flush, and install new coolant. 

23 hours ago, huffypuff said:

You can't miss if you drain and refill with Final Charge pre-mix 50/50.  

Agree, this Peak coolant is pretty much accepted by all heavy duty diesel manufacturers.  I prefer the full strength rather than the pre-mix.  With the pre-mix you are paying for a half a gallon of water.

15 hours ago, five said:

Agree, this Peak coolant is pretty much accepted by all heavy duty diesel manufacturers.  I prefer the full strength rather than the pre-mix.  With the pre-mix you are paying for a half a gallon of water.

Please don't tell me you're using tap water in your cooling systems and flooded batteries.  As a mechanic of 50-plus years, I can tell you what contaminants in water do to them.  You will still have to buy distilled water which you have to pay for just the same.  My statement above is that you can't miss with 50/50 mix.  

1 hour ago, huffypuff said:

My statement above is that you can't miss with 50/50 mix.  

Well yes you can. The process/method described by Brett is one of the best guides I have seen on how to get a true 50/50 mix. That is the only way to take into consideration the water trapped in the system. Now if I am just topping up I use the mix.

Bill

In 2008 we bought a 2006 motor home with a Cat C7 engine that used coolant with SCA coolant. After draining, I used 48 gallons of distilled water to flush the whole system. I could get full strength Extended Life Coolant from Cat, now only 50/50 mix. Filled 1/2 capacity and the topped off with distilled water. I have driven 123,000+ mikes without any problems. I would change any SCA coolant to ELC. 

9 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Well yes you can. The process/method described by Brett is one of the best guides I have seen on how to get a true 50/50 mix. That is the only way to take into consideration the water trapped in the system. Now if I am just topping up I use the mix.

Bill

oops, the original statement was  "You can't miss if you drain and refill with Final Charge pre-mix 50/50".

11 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Please don't tell me you're using tap water in your cooling systems and flooded batteries.  As a mechanic of 50-plus years, I can tell you what contaminants in water do to them.  You will still have to buy distilled water which you have to pay for just the same.  My statement above is that you can't miss with 50/50 mix.  

Of course I don't use tap water....and Wally World's distilled is much cheaper than Peak's.  With a little planning, mixing coolant is no problem.

On 11/25/2022 at 5:26 PM, five said:

Of course I don't use tap water....and Wally World's distilled is much cheaper than Peak's.  With a little planning, mixing coolant is no problem.

I'm saving the environment by not having 2 plastic jugs.  I also think Peak can mix it better than I even though I have 55 years of experience as a mechanic.  

https://www.zoro.com/final-charge-antifreeze-coolant-1-gal-rtu-fxa0b3/i/G4037629/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4ecBhD3ARIsAM4Q_jFNNy_u9dYxXd23RRIPeoHsmm7CTgexE4KshKWGqlkPUij8Rb0Z3vUaAuzSEALw_wcB

https://www.zoro.com/final-charge-antifreeze-coolant-1-gal-5050-fxab53/i/G4037601/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4ecBhD3ARIsAM4Q_jEMvQVrU3QwapiBGYgVmzX2CNr-lKClISZjPHcSADiYuS0VRIJskc0aAuFOEALw_wcB

Checking the links above, it's more cost-effective to get 50/50  

Jl --

Welcome to the forum!   There are many good members willing to provide help at any time.

If you let the forum know the type of chassis you have (e.g Freightliner or Spartan), etc. then we forum members may be able to provide additional guidance.   When you have a moment, create a "signature block" that shows your coach's year, manufacturer, model, chassis type, etc. which will help forum members in the future.   You stated you have a 2014 Fleetwood 40g.   Is this your coach model / floor plan? --> https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-fleetwood-discovery-class-a-floorplan-40g-tr18264   If "yes",  the sales brochure shows you have a 380 HP, 9L, Cummins ISL engine and not an 8.3L engine as you stated.   

As an example for coolant types, my coach is built on a Freightliner XCR chassis.  For some reason, the coolant system Freightliner included on my chassis specifically requires "purple" heavy duty coolant meaning red, orange, etc. extended life coolants cannot be used.  Reason is Freightliner used a "cheap" coolant level sensor that will only work with "purple" color heavy duty coolant.  

If you have a Freightliner chassis, there should be a label near the radiator or coolant reservoir stating the type of coolant that can be used for your coach.   

Hopefully this info is useful.  

Edited by fagnaml