We are halfway through a Fort Worth - Fairbanks - Forth Worth trip and have nothing but good things to say about ReadyBrake. After a couple hours of installation at home it now takes less than a minute to hook up the cables and be ready to roll. It worked great passing through the Canadian Rockies and was even tolerant of the dreaded "frost heaves"! Nothing hooks to the electrical system so no battery drain at all. No box pushing against the seat or seat frame to install every day. Plus the cost is about half of the competition. In my opinion ReadyBrake is a prime example of the Keep It Simple System (KISS)!

I second this post. Great little unit.

Richard

Brett,

It appears that your post 27 July Link would not be the best for a Diesel Pusher with air brakes if they are equipped with engine brake or exhaust brake as the brake lights would then activate the toads brakes causing unecessary wear.

I highly recommend the M & G system that uses the motorhome air brake system.

John

05 CC Inspire

10 Escape

John,

Actually many coaches do NOT activate the brake lights when using just engine brakes-- I know ours does not. But, it would be very simple to wire from just the service brake switch were that desired.

I also like the M&G brake, but there a limited number of vehicles with enough room to install them between the toad vacuum boost and master cylinder. I know they are not offered for our Ford Focus.

I would be the first to agree that there is no one best brake for all vehicles/situations. Heck some companies offer 3 or more different braking systems.

I'm planning to pull my HHR@3100lbs what brake system should I be looking for.

Any help appreciated...

I will check into the ready brake sys.

FYI to all. I feel that the finest braking unit is the M & G. However M & G has its limitations. Since the unit fits between the Power Brake Booster and the Master Cylinder some vehicles do not have room for the Master cylinder to move forward the required 4 inches. That is the limit for some vehicles. :o:(

Herman

I have had the SMI Airforce One for four years after hearing of burned out brakes with other low tech system. I installed the SMI system myself and once installed it only requires one airline connection between coach and toad. It is also the only proportional braking system with an approved separation between coach and toad airlines. The technology in the toad includes a vacuum assist that permits using a very small air piston that stays installed on the brake pedal. We have been across the continental divide and several very steep mountains with no problems. If you compare the technology, I feel the SMI is the best choice.

I, too, was impressed by the SMI technology. I did the Toad installation myself, but I let the experts install the coach portion of the system. I works like a charm.

I don't have to leave the key in the Toad so I don't have a battery problem and I don't have to pull any fuses.

I use the SMI stay n play system. Unlike the air force one, it doesn't require a connection into the RV's air brake system.

I bought it when I ran a gasser, and since it is 100% installed on the TOAD, there was no need to even think about it when I upgraded to a DP. It's still there, and it still works. Flip the switch and you are braking.

I have a Itasca Meridian DP, 340 hp, exhaust brake optional. I am considering a Jeep Cherokee as a toad. What brake and tow system seems best for this? Camping World promotes Roadmaster, United RV has Blue Ox, which is $500 dollars cheaper. Does SMI really worth the hype?

X2 on Roadmaster brakemaster. I have towed our Suziki XL-7 for 150,000 miles. A light on dash denotes when working. I have replaced front brakes on toad after towing 120,000 miles so that confirmes the brakes do not "drag" and are proportional.

Roadmaster has great customer service altho I have used it on towbar only.

Charlie Tuit

02 Journey, 32T (176,000 miles), 03 XL-7 toad

I use US Gear remote braking in my Jeep TJ Sahara towing 4 flat, one plug in and a remote break away cable. A small unit on dash of MH for indication that systems connected and working, never any issues, just flawless performance. Have never drained the battery or had any brake drag issues.

Brian

06 Discovery 39V, 02 TJ Sahara

Our Brake Buddy finally burned up inside and probably could have caught my Jeep on fire. I didn't even know it had happened. When I got to my destination my Jeep had the smell of an electrical fire inside that took a while to get rid of. I will throw that Brake Buddy away; I am afraid of the product. It has never worked properly, not ever. Then it finally burned up. It only lasted a little over four years. I will go to ReadyBrake which is much more simple in operation. From what I hear, it simply works.

I have a 2006 Pace Arrow Gas, and have the new Stealth sbs from Brake Buddy and it is a disaster. It is new and many bugs. The factory has been very cooperative and sent a new unit. Problems with that unit-- they have suspended sales until problems can be fixed which they say is around Nov.1.

Again Brake Buddy has paid for all shipping ,labor etc and very accommodating.You might want to wait until bugs are worked out before purchasing.This has been a real nuisance.Bobcee20

We have an older gas 1997 coach and use the Unified Tow Brake by US Gear. We tow a Jeep Liberty and are 100% satisfied with the brakes performance.

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to give them one more whack at it which will be the third unit, although they have said it will not be available until 1st of November at the latest.

I have always used Brake Buddy and felt good about this new system. Keyword New system. If the factory had not been so accommodating I would have demanded a refund as it is only 90 days old.

Bob Cee

I have used the M&G brake system for 12 years on my 98 Durango 4WD and recently had the M&G installed on our 2013 CRV. I couldn't be more happier to have to plug one air hose with quick connects in to get going.

I have an M&G system, it's fool proof. We have a 45' Monaco Dynasty and pull a 2009 Saturn Vue. This system replaced a Brake Buddy that I was glad to replace. The M&G is what I would recommend as the best alternative, if they have an installation for your toad.

**** Stewart F376874

I have used both M&G as well as Air Force One braking systems. Both worked well. The M&G will not work on all vehicles as it requires that you move the Master Brake Cylinder forward about 4 inches to place the M&G device between the firewall and the Master Cylinder. I had to modify the location of my battery to accommodate the S&G. Also, when I sold the car that had the S&G system on it, the system went with the car. I had to start all over again for the next vehicle. With that in mind, I purchased the AirForceOne system. I have used it for about a year now and it works great.

I've used the US Gear Unified tow brake in 2 different vehicles towing with an Allegro Bus. I wanted progressive braking and no intrusion into the RV''s braking system. The panel indicator in the RV provides information and adjustment of the amount of braking

of your toad, as well as the indicator that everything is still connected properly.

Wired thru the 7 position tow plug with a battery charge lead the toad battery doesn't run down. The hookup is simple with just the one wire from the coach and the break away emergency cable.

There is no "best". There is only personal preference based on personal desires.

I have Blue Ox with the Patriot. The only time I had a battery drain issue was when I left the fan and radio on. Self-inflicted wound. Since then, not a problem. Of course, having a battery under six years of age is a help.