emmaisacat

Montana LLC- Arizona Resident

Just ordered a new 2015 36 GH Phaeton. Sales tax where I live in AZ is 8.9%. Plates will be maybe $4000.

So we have approx $22,000 with these items. No wonder some pursue the Montana LLC.

Bennett Law in Missoula who specializes in LLC's basically advises of 3 requirements to be fully in compliance.

- purchase out of AZ

- stay out of AZ for the first 90 days after delivery

- travel at least 5 months of the year - out of AZ

We can comply with the purchase and 90 day requirement but likely will not be traveling 5 months of the year out of AZ.

Further, if challenged, it is up to the RV owner to prove compliance. So, I am reluctant to live on the edge.

Penalties can be 60% plus interest.

I see many Rv's on the road with Montana plates etc. Anyone from AZ have any good or bad experiences or insight into this issue?

If you can meet the requirements, go for it.

However, you admit that you CANNOT meet ALL of them. Therefore, you would be placing yourself at risk. If that risk is unsettling to you, do not do it.

Jump on the 2 links that Wolf suggested. Then get an attorney who knows all about Montana, Oregon and California law. I can only speak for myself, I like being on the right side off all laws. :)

As we say in Texas, you put the cart before the horse, if you can I would try to back out off the MH deal, until you get your ducks in a row!

Carl C.

AMC Tradition

Galveston, Texas

El Mina Shrine, we ride so kids can walk! :wub:

Indiana has an excise tax on motor vehicles. The powers at be gave a tax cut to cars and trucks but not to motor homes :( Our first motor home $60,000 purchase price new tags were over a $1,000 and state sales tax of 7%. This is the state where most motor-homes are born but we have a punitive state excise and sales tax for motor home owners. Sorry to see that Arizona is also of the same mindset. I guess they feel they own you cause of the warmer weather.

Indiana has no excuse to not be Motor Home friendly in every way. The state government makes claims about being job creators and business friendly but has no credence with their tax policy concerning ownership of RV's Travel TRailers and Motor Homes as that is the North Eastern Indiana economy.

One thing That Indiana does that is friendly to vehicle purchasers is allow a deduction for trade in to lower the purchase price as concerned to sales tax. This of course is a major consideration for Indiana purchasers. If you can get this deduction as an out of state purchaser or buying from a private party I do not know.

In Az the sales tax is figured on the price difference if the purchase is made at a dealership. If you buy used from a private party there is no sales tax. I would not chance doing something outside the law as far as registration. There were a number of people in Colorado that did that and got caught and were fined tens of thousands of dollars.

I use deercreek services in Montana and have been doing so since 2007. I've been very happy with thier services and guidance. I highly recommend contacting/consulting with them, specifically Micheal Willing, the attorney in charge. Only then can you make a judgement for yourself. From my perspective, having done the research and being prepared, there is nothing "illegal" about driving a company registered motorhome from another state.

I just got my bill for the annual State of Texas tag...$ 782, here it's based on weight not value. Also, we have a brand new law on Safety Inspection, you need one this year before you apply for State Tag...next year, it's 90 days before State! Law went into effect January 15, 2015. <_<

Carl

Taking Carl's statement a bit farther, folks outside of Texas may not know that in Texas you may have an inspection sticker due in one month and your registration another. With the new law a vehicle must be inspected within ninety before the registration is due. You will take your receipt for the inspection to the registration office where you will receive your registration sticker. After all inspection are on line your inspection will be in the system the same as your insurance information. Motorhome inspections in Texas cost $14.75.

Herman

Actually the Texas Law goes into effect March 1, 2015. My Motorhome is due for inspection on February so I will still be under the old law this year. But next year I have to get it inspected prior to paying the annual registration.

Jaime

Jamie, When is your coach registration due? If say if in April, when you go for your registration, take the copy of your inspection with you and you will get your registration sticker that includes your inspection. Also in the future you will still have to have your vehicle inspected, within 90 day before Reg. is due, but will not have a sticker put on. When you register your vehicle you will have one sticker with both registration and inspection combined.

Herman

Both of mine are due this month. This years inspection sticker will be good for 9 months....I feel cheated! :angry:

Carl

You state you don't like living on the edge. The edge however is rather thick. You would probably have trouble tracking 365 days of whereabouts. Imagine the troopers doing it on the fly. Just keep your friends close and enemies and nosy neihbors closer.

Another thing to consider if you go with the Mont. LLC is you had better license your toad there as well, since having a Mont. tagged RV and an Az tagged toad would be a dead giveaway. This was one of the reasons we licensed in AZ. Another was the insurance issue. We have all our cars and home with the same carrier. They were not willing to insure any of our vehicles if they were licensed in another state.

Bob

I agreed with bpelatt for a moment until I realized I've been towing my vintage cars in an enclosed Montana trailer for 8 years with my CA reg tow vehicle.