jleamont

Aqua-Hot Operation In Winter

I just pulled the cover off for the season and I have some interior work to do to get ready for this camping season. Our coach is equipped with a electric/diesel Aqua Hot system and two roof top heat pumps for interior heat. The Aqua hot system has RV antifreeze in the water side of the heat exchanger (it's 24 degrees outside). Can I turn this unit on so I can run the floor heat exchangers inside with RV antifreeze in the fresh water side of the heat exchanger system?

Unfortunately my heat pumps will not come on below 30 degrees.

Anyone ever do this?

This is our first coach with an Aqua hot system, what maintenance should be done annually on this system to keep it working properly beyond the diesel filter replacement once a year?

No service manual in the document box for the system other than basic operating instructions.

Thanks

Joe

Joe

You can run the Aqua hot without any thing in the fresh water coils it will not hurt the unit. The hot water coil be dry or have water or antifreeze in it.

Duane

2012 Diplomat 43DFT

with Aqua Hot

Joe, Can you post the Model number for your unit? That might lead to a Owners Manual and some feedback from a member or two.

Rich.

Rich, any idea where that information might be located? The unit is in a bay, one side is blocked by the 50amp electric cable reel and the other side is just the water manifold and pump, while I can see it there is no writing on the box other than the Aquahot logo. My gut feel is I will have to access it through the bay in front of it, there is a section of the wall that slides for access, model and serial are probably in there. I also have a very mild smell of diesel fuel in the bay when it is running on diesel, it's always had the smell but I can't help but think that is not normal.

This is our first coach with an Aqua hot system, what maintenance should be done annually on this system to keep it working properly beyond the diesel filter replacement once a year?

No service manual in the document box for the system other than basic operating instructions.

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

I had to learn the hard way on my aqua hot system, there is some annual service that aqua hot recommends to be done:

Replace the fuel filter and the injector cone

Have the igniter adjusted,

Check the state of the antifreeze in the system ( check it to make sure it is still good for -20 or below.

They recommend this service to be done annually whether you use the system a little or all the time. Our coach was less than 2 years old and used very little when we bought it but our first trip north we found out that the service had never been done when I noticed that it was smoking really bad and we had no heat. When this is the only source of heat that's a really bad time to find this out as it was 4 degrees out at the time.

My manual does not say anything about running the system with RV antifreeze in the system but it does say NOT to run the system without water in the system. If you find your model# and go to aqua hot's website you can find and download the manual for your system.

Hope this helps.

Joe, Can you post the Model number for your unit? That might lead to a Owners Manual and some feedback from a member or two.

Rich.

Rich, any idea where that information might be located? The unit is in a bay, one side is blocked by the 50amp electric cable reel and the other side is just the water manifold and pump, while I can see it there is no writing on the box other than the Aquahot logo. My gut feel is I will have to access it through the bay in front of it, there is a section of the wall that slides for access, model and serial are probably in there. I also have a very mild smell of diesel fuel in the bay when it is running on diesel, it's always had the smell but I can't help but think that is not normal.

You'll find the information on a tag on top of the heater or just in side the cover depending on the model you have.

jleamont,

Here is what your Aqua Hot should do, when you turn it on and the thermostat is set on furnace.

1) the blower will come on to clear any fumes from the system, (from this you will smell diesel)

2) when the system is clear the burner will fire and begin heating.

3) when the temp is reached the burner will go out.

4) the blower will continue to clear the system of fumes. (from this you may also smell diesel)

This will be repeated each time heat is needed.

Your unit needs to be service each and every year. Most Area Rallies and both National Rallies will have Aqua Hot Tech to preform the annual service. (be sure and make an appointment)

Also each and every month your unit should be run. This will help keep the fuel fresh and the injector clean.

Herman

Thanks guys, the system is operational and seems to work properly but I question the service quality performed by the previous owner. I did just locate a receipt for $2900.00 worth of parts purchased 3/20/2009 for the unit, burner, fuel pump, filter, control unit....the list is two pages, I suspect that was the last service. It is a modle AHE-100-01s serial number 01-720.

Herman, I would love to go to a rally and have it serviced, there never seems to be any in our area and with working full time travel becomes a luxury at the moment. I am going to reach out to our local RV dealer and see what they charge to give it a tune up. What's the going rate for this work, just curious?

Thanks again

Joe

Joe, the one thing you can do is contact Aqua Hot and ask if they have a tech or dealer with a Certified tech in your area. I would always only use a Certified Technician.

Good luck and Stay warm.

Herman

Herman, my thermostat does not have Furnace as a selectable option. I have a rocker switch for the diesel burner and a rocker switch for the electric side of the system and three manual thermostats throughout the coach which turn on the baseboard heater fans in a specific zone. My Duo-therm thermostat only controls the roof top AC units and heat pumps within them. Is that normal?

Herman, thanks again, I am going to locate a certified teach in the area. The system is to complex for anyone to tinker with, good recommendation

Thanks again

If you go the aqua hot website you can go to the find a service centerror tab and it will help you locate a qualified technician. Trust me you don't want someone who's not qualified to be working on it. It will cast you in the long run.

Found the solution I was looking for and did not realize it even existed. Propane powered unit from Precision Temp.

I installed a tankless HW heater in our old coach these folks made back in 2007 (traded the coach in 2014) never had a problem with the unit....and it never called for service.

Here is the link http://www.precisiontemp.com/rv-and-trailer/twintemp-2-65000-btu-hydronic-tankless-water-heater-for-rv-and-trailers/

They now make a direct replacement for the Aqua Hot and Oasis systems. I will run the Aqua Hot for this year and replace it next Spring. Where ours is located I believe is the problem (in a compartment under the kitchen slide) when ever I use the Diesel burner I smell raw diesel fuel fumes in the kitchen cabinets, I have had the sides off of the unit, cannot locate any fuel leaks and I have just about had enough of the odor. On a good note our coach has a very large Propane tank and the only appliance hooked to it is the cook top at the moment.

Anyone ever taken on servicing one of these Aqua Hot systems on their own?

I have been thinking about leaving the diesel fired unit in the coach and just performing an annual service/nozzle replacement and attempting to locate the source of the raw diesel fuel this thing is leaving behind in the compartment. I tried to locate a local certified repair center....none near me. I called Aqua Hot today and spoke to their tech department about my raw fuel smell when running on diesel, they recommended just replacing the nozzle and performing an annual PM might solve my problems.

I have repaired Webasto in cab heaters before and also installed a few so this should be similar but in a much tighter space. I ordered all of the parts needed and the Electrode setting tool, I am going to make a fuel pressure gauge from the old nozzle after I remove it to check fuel pressure.

Any advice?

Pull out this month's FMCA Magazine (October 2015): An excellent article starting on page 44: "Servicing Diesel Aqua-Hot Systems".

You can also sign in to the FMCA main website and pull up October 2015 and click on the article.

Brett, funny you mentioned this. Reading the article on Tuesday night is what brought me to rethinking how I should proceed with this unit. I look forward to that publication every month. That article and many others over the months was great. After reading it I thought "hmm this doesn’t seem so bad maybe I can just fix this unit and continue to operate it".

After a long phone conversation with the nice folks at Aqua-hot I feel more confident about their product so I think I will give it a shot. Once the parts arrive and I tackle the unit I will repost on what I learned, in case anyone else has the same thoughts as I had.

I was hoping for some "lessons learned" experiences from a few that have conquered their system already.

Joe. Hi!

I have the Aqua Hot 450 & with a friend, who has the same unit, we serviced mine (about 5 hours) for what a Tech does in 45 minutes!

Bobs coach went to a AH Dealer! His wife drove it there, as Bob was at a clinic getting his fix for a little finger nail, he ripped clean off! I had to close my ears as he used every big word in the book! :(

If you have nothing better to do? Go for it! Your still young. Also, keep your kids in the house, as you don't want them to hear all the BIG words you'll be using! <_<

We are both over 70 years old and came to the conclusion that time equals a lot of money, actually it's a priceless commodity! I will pay the $$$ and leave with clean, whole nails attached! :)

Carl

Carl, good advice, sorry to hear about your friends nail, I cringed when I read that.. :blink:

I think I am up for it, just finished the valve adjustment and replacing all of the interior lights with LED. I cannot believe how many light tubes were not working.

Valve Adjustment; the odometer has 73967 on it and they were all in spec. But my valve cover doesnt leak anymore. :) Pretty soon I will be board with this thing, running out of things to do. Still cheaper than the boat I owned a few years back :D

...My manual does not say anything about running the system with RV antifreeze in the system but it does say NOT to run the system without water in the system...

They are talking about the anti freeze, not fresh water. Also, propylene glycol is the recommended anti freeze.

J.

I assume it was motor boat?! I can attest to that. Love is the first & last day, nothing between!

If your running out of things to fix and your bored, I'll drop mine off. Should keep you busy for about 6 months! I figure $10K should make it road ready again! <_<:angry:

Carl

I have a Aqua Hot 400D and I use it during the winter when we are not using the coach. I set it on about 50 degrees and it keeps everything warm including the basement. I have it serviced once a year and it is good to go.