fagnaml

New Motorhome Owner -- Recommendation for Tow Vehicle

My wife and I recently had a unique, superb opportunity to upgrade from our 32 foot bumper pull travel trailer to a "like new" 2007 Damon Astoria motorhome (only 4,800 miles, climate controlled storage for last eight years at a cost of $69,000 that an elderly couple could not use). We had not planned purchase a motorhome until we retired seven years from now but could not pass on this opportunity.

The Astoria has a base weight of 23,000 pounds, 28,000 pound GVWR, 33,000 GCWR, a 300 HP Cummins ISB engine, an Allison MH-2500 five speed transmission and 6000 # rating trailer hitch. We own a 2012 Mazda Miata which we thought could be towed by the Astoria. Unfortunately the Miata can not accommodate a drive shaft disconnect device. As such, we'd like to trade-in the Miata on a good, easy to tow vehicle.

During our two months of motorhome ownership, it appears that Honda CRVs and Jeep Wrangles (both two door and four door models) are popular tow vehicles. Any suggestions / advice on a tow vehicle for us motorhome "newbies" would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Mike in Katy, TX

Hi Mike,

Looks like you have about a 5000 pound leeway there but then consider how much you weigh, DW (Dear Wife) weighs (careful with that item), dogs, cats and everthing that you load into the MH is going to diminsh what you can "properly tow.

If you go to the home page of FMCA and click "Motorhoming" you will find a secton on "Towing." In there you will find guides on towing "four down".

So, once you are loaded with all the groceries, kitchen appliances and DW' s makeup, shoes, clothes and your bathing suit, figure out how much more you can tow. In your mind think of a vehicle that you would like to have and then check the guide for specifications to try and stay within your GCWR.

Just remember that as you travel the by-ways and hi-ways you will be stopping at sourvenier shops, antique shops, and adding more groceries and they all add to the GCWR so allow for some wiggle room.

I'm in Texas City, TX.

Happy Trails.

The Honda CRV is a good tow, but beware, only through 2014, 2015 changed transmissions, and is a no tow.

Welcome to the world of motorhoming, Kay

We have towed our 2013 Honda CRV over 10,000 miles with absolutely no issues. Certain Jeep vehicles are also good toads but the comfort and quality of the CRV were determining factors for us. Like Kay stated the 2015 CRV's are not towable four down. I believe the 2016 HRV's may be towable four down, check with your dealer.

Mike in Katy, TX Have fun with your newly purchased motor home.

I purchased a 2015 Chevrolet Sonic LT Hatchback to tow several months ago and love it. There was one fuse (under the dash) that had to be pulled, so had dealer install a shut off switch on lower dash area and works great with no problems. Remember to read your vehicle manual regarding recreational towing, but this is a very easy one to set up.. After running for a few minutes while hooking up to MH, I shut engine off, flip cut off switch to off, then turn key back on to put in Neutral, then key in accessory position, and you are ready to go. This car is actually an automatic or it can be driven as a manual and first small car I have ever owned and very happy with it.

When installing this switch care must be taken to make sure in a correct location as this small car has 10 airbags including some in the knee area. A friend over 6' tall while sitting in the back seat commented on being quite comfortable with plenty of head room. The back seats lay almost flat to allow for a fairly large hauling area which can be accessed

either from the side doors or the back hatch door. I have driven this car over 10,000 miles plus towing it 3-4000 miles with a BLUE OX ALPHA Tow Bar without any problems. This car is also of the lighter weight classification and rated for up to 65 mph while towing. Hatchback much more roomier than sedan. The Sonic LT is towable, some others not.

Have the base plate and hitch professionally installed to assure done correctly as the front end of this car must be removed for base plate to be installed properly, and yes, I took my brand new car to an RV dealer to be taken apart so make sure RV dealer has good recommendation for base plate installation. Same RV dealer recommended to me by sales people from three different makes of autos as I was not in my home area when this vehicle purchase was made and their recommendation was most valuable. I also purchased special locks for each of the areas that would have only been secured by cotter pins. RV dealer also wired my lights on Sonic to work with lights on MH. Yes, it was more expensive to have this all put together this way, but glad I made this investment as people are amazed how quick I hook up or unhook, including safety cables and light cord plug in, and I am a single senior female who travels alone, currently in central Florida for the winter.

December 2014 Full time RVer

2001 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel

2015 Chevrolet Sonic LT Hatchback

We have towed our 2013 Honda CRV over 10,000 miles with absolutely no issues. Certain Jeep vehicles are also good toads but the comfort and quality of the CRV were determining factors for us. Like Kay stated the 2015 CRV's are not towable four down. I believe the 2016 HRV's may be towable four down, check with your dealer.

You are right I have a 2014 CR-V I was thinking about waiting for the 2015 models to come out but found out they would not be towable 4 down so I got a 2014.

I just looked through a 2016 HRV Owners manual. There is no section for "Recreational towing" and it states there is no emergency tow procedure that you should have it picked up by a truck.

One other thing about towing If you use a dolly you can't tow an all wheel drive CR-V with just two wheels on the ground.

Bill

You are right I have a 2014 CR-V I was thinking about waiting for the 2015 models to come out but found out they would not be towable 4 down so I got a 2014.

I just looked through a 2016 HRV Owners manual. There is no section for "Recreational towing" and it states there is no emergency tow procedure that you should have it picked up by a truck.

One other thing about towing If you use a dolly you can't tow an all wheel drive CR-V with just two wheels on the ground.

Bill

The owners manual of the 2016 Honda HR-V says the vehicle, when equipped with manual transmission, is towable behind a motorhome. A Honda representative confirms the vehicle can be towed four wheels down. Be sure you are looking at the owners MANUAL, not the owners GUIDE; they are different publications.

The owners manual of the 2016 Honda HR-V says the vehicle, when equipped with manual transmission, is towable behind a motorhome. A Honda representative confirms the vehicle can be towed four wheels down. Be sure you are looking at the owners MANUAL, not the owners GUIDE; they are different publications.

Quite interesting I re visited the Honda website and looked at BOTH the Owner's Manual and the Owner's Guide. Apparently there has been a revision. The one I looked at last time did not have any provision for Transport using Wheel lift equipment. Now it says under Emergency towing on page 461. Call a professional towing service if you need to tow your vehicle.

All models, Flat bed equipment. The operator loads your vehicle on the back of a truck. This is the best way to transport your vehicle. Wheel lift equipment the tow truck uses two pivoting arms that go under the front tires and lift them off the ground. The rear tires remain on the ground. This is an acceptable way to tow your vehicle.(2 wheel drive only)

Now interestingly in the notes it does not differentiate between the auto and 6 speed and says “Improper towing such as towing behind a motorhome or other motor vehicle can damage the transmission.”

Now it appears they have added a whole new section under Towing on page 320 where it addresses towing the manual transmission cars.

The Owner's Guide mimics the emergency towing info on page 107 I found nothing about towing the manual in the Owner's Guide.

Good catch, interesting how they can change content with the click of a mouse.

Bill