speck

Front Or Mid-Entry

Realizing that there are many decisions to be made when purchasing a motorhome, I need a little help.

I am looking to purchase a used Class A Diesel, 34 to 40 ft. I think I am interested in a model with a mid-entry as opposed to a front entry.

Can some of you folks give the names of manufactures of motorhomes with the mid-entry?

Speck,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What age/price range are you looking in?

I know that Foretravel and Safari did build a number of mid-entry DP's. Mostly older models.

Bounder made some mid entry diesel pushers, I think it was the Z model as in 39Z.

http://www.bounderrvsource.com/rvinventory_item.asp?id=2271838

There are outher makers who do a side entry: 33' 2011 Serrano Maxxforce w/2 Slides

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/2011-Serrano-31212.htm

and there is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTs2S7RTuGQ

Bill

Back a few year ago I saw a Safari coach in Lawton Oklahoma that had both, a front and a side entry. There was the standard drivers and passengers seats and had a bench seat with three sets of belts behind the driver. My only thought was that it had to have been a special order unit.

Herman

Sorry for not responding back right away, takes me a while to get back to check on things.  Thanks to all for all the comments, they were all helpful..my search will continue, but I have more information than I started with.

Greg

Again, thanks for all the inputs... Now another question, In my search, I have found a 2002 Safari, 350HP Cummins with only 18k miles.  should I be leery of a 14 y/o coach with this few miles.  Either short trips or it has been sitting.  Of coarse, if I get real serious on this one, I would have someone inspect it for me.  Any inputs, comments, or cautions are greatly appreciated.

That low mileage is certainly a yellow flag (not sure it is a red flag).

Part of the answer depends on how the coach was used.  If it has been sitting for the last couple of years, that is likely a red flag.

I would also want to see service records showing that fluids had been changed based on time, since mileage did not appear to be the service trigger.

Speck,

How is the interior? Many low mileage older coaches were used only on two trips a year. One south for the winter and back north in the spring. Be sure and check the Mfg. Dates on the tires. They may also be 14 years old.

Herman 

Like Herman said look at the interior if you see wear it was probably lived in and not driven. Having/finding a low milage coach isn't that unusual as many are owned by people working and only get to use it on short vacations. Now add in some health issues where they can't travel and you get low milage. Do check the tiers manufacture dates, on any coach you are looking at. 

Bill

Once again thanks for the input.  I have requested some more information from the seller, but haven't received a response yet.  I'm in CO and the motorhome is in CA, so I haven't seen the inside except for a couple of pictures.  I have also requested a lot more pictures, want to have a better feeling about it before I make a long road trip to see it.  Since this is new to me (going to a Class A), I would definitely have it taken to a RV service center to have it inspected.

At the risk of sounding negative, Colorado to California to look at a used coach is a long way. Look for " Formerly  Owned" in nearby locations. Gotta be a lot of them in Colorado, or nearby locations.

Actually, a much better chance of getting a rust-free coach in CA than in CO.  Same with Texas, NM, AZ, etc. vs up north.

Brett/ Colorado uses  traction material/ sand  basically on most of there wintertime roads. Been there done that many times in the winter.,Spread salt on a pass and the temp drops low enough that salt doesn't work and CDOT will have a mess on their hands . The climate in Colorado is semi arid almost everywhere.  California is quite dry as well but they do have salt spray in coastal areas. I am going with Colorado to shop for a used RV. The state is an RVer's paradise. So much beauty instate and nearby. Count the Texas tags in Colorado  when cool temps are desired. Lake City Colorado would not survive without Texans.

Gets a little damp where you spend your winters I think.

When we were looking all I could find that looked nice in the photos were down in FL, TX, AZ and CA. I was convinced I was going to fly around to look them over, make a decision and fly back out to make the purchase and drive it back. It seems like all of the nice ones are in those states. As luck would have it we found this one 20 minutes from home at a small mom and pop car dealer on consignment.

I also grew frustrated looking at online advertisements. Maybe the owners bought elsewhere and ended their motorhomeIng in Florida or other southern states? We  found our Phaeton by reading a local newspaper. It was 44 miles away in Taneytown MD. Garage kept  and beautiful. Inside and out. When we went back to pick up our "new to us"  coach there was a gorgeous Holiday Rambler with black body paint and high lighted graphics topped with a gelcoat, and a side radiator setting in a grass lot with a Sale sign. Too late. Money had changed hands. Never called on it, but it looked expensive. Joe found his nearby. We did also.

Check area dealers if you can't find anything else. Dealers always price used stuff high. Hoping for a home run or to be able to over allow on a trade for a new coach. Inventory/ new or used is overhead ($ interest) and the sales manager doesn't want them to set there too long. Might be looking for another job.

Make them an offer that is a little low based on research, and give them your name and number. If you get a quick call back, you might try telling them that you are looking at another unit. Try dropping the price  you offered a bit and see what happens.

Traveling a thousand or so miles can be a crap shoot. Have talked to a few that were disappointed after poorly represented units that looked good in pictures. 

Again thanks for the inputs.  I found the discussion about Colorado vs. other areas interesting.  Besides looking online at various areas; CA, UT, OR, WA, AZ, NM, TX etc, I keep my eyes open for something here in CO as well on different media.  This particular one just caught my eye because of the low miles.  Talked over the phone with the owner, he is a mechanic by trade, just sold his shop, so he has done all that type maintenance himself...says up to date but no records.  The usage was mostly short trips, a few long ones; sat for about 6 mo. a year or two ago.  One bad comment was that the air conditioner shroud got damaged and allowed water to get in, some light water stain on part of the internal panel around the AC vent.  That could be the show stopper for me...had water damage on a Class C a few years ago.  Am waiting for photos of the interior.

Speck,

When we were looking at motorhomes 6 1/2 years ago my wife and I both liked mid entry.  We ended up with front entry.  Basically we just bought the coach both of us loved, but I still see some benefits from mid entry.  The main one being that you can go directly to the middle part of the coach where the kitchen usually is or to the bathroom and that way not track dirt and so on into the coach.  The biggest downside we saw was that you give up some space and access to the basement storage.  

When we were looking at coaches (2009) ones we liked with mid entries were Bluebird SP36, Beaver Contessa, Alpine 40'.  Many of our friends still have 34' 36' mid entry coaches that are gas and made by Fleetwood and National.  But you said you wanted diesel.  

Good luck with your looking.  BTW this is a good time of the year to look at used coaches in AZ.  Lots of snowbirds headed home and people selling coaches to move into condos and so on in AZ.  So lots of used coaches there in April.  Also if you buy used from a private party in AZ there is no sales tax.  Of course if you register in CO you will have to go by their rules.