npetersjr

New Tire Shelf Life

What is acceptable shelf-life of new tires being installed on a motorhome?

24 May 2017, had six “new tires” (275/70R22.5) installed on my motorhome, tires made by a national company.  When I arrived home checked tires DOT made date and learned “new tires” were made 3415 making them already almost two years old.  Today upon investigation with two separate national tire manufactures I was told tires have a shelf-life of three years being held for sell in the national company warehouse and a life-cycle of ten years.  I feel that this is unsettling, as I had understood it best to keep tires on motorhome based on DOT date tires were made for five or six years. My old tires which were replaced were made in Oct or Nov of 2012, but not installed on motorhome until April 2013.  Comments/Guidance Desired Please. Norm

When I buy new tires I specify that they have to been produced with in the past 12 weeks.  So far, I have succeeded except for one tire was 13 weeks.  One note the week number can be 1 to 53 because part weeks are counted within a calendar year. That is why one of my tires was different in that it was produced in one of the last 3 days of the previous year.  

I bought 4 new tires for my rear axle and I told my supplier that they must be current.  This was the middle of April and I got tires that were made in Feb. 2017.  I don't think anyone should accept tires that are older than about 4 months.

Joe and Carl--From your brief post I sense this a rat hole others have gone down over the years.  As a new owner of a used motorhome, 2002 Newmar Dutch Star, buying my first set of tires have learned that I did not know the right questions to ask and then not following-up before tires were installed.  I have not given up quest to get newer tires, almost two years is not acceptable. Tire store has been instructed to hold my old tires, made Oct or Nov 2012 with less than 12,000 always covered, and if required/necessary will have them put back on motorhome and live to fight another day.  Norm 

Welcome to the forum Norm, It is unfortunate that they are trying to move old stock on you. Hopefully you can get them swapped for newer/fresher ones.  Have you looked at the 2 tire programs available to you? I am favoring the Continental program right now.

The one big take away from all this is tires start to deteriorate when they come out of the mold. There is no such thing as "shelf Life" it is all the same.

Keep us updated.

Bill

Norm, keep up the fight for replacements or some $$ back in your pocket. RVs are no different than most things in your life, you learn as you go. When you stop learning is when you should be concerned.

I went through this in february of this year.  Dates on 1 of the tires installed was 4608 and two were 2113.  I went back the next day and insisted on tires manufactured within the last year.  

Although the tire dealers say they work with motorhomes all the time, still check behind them.  This same dealer inflated the tires too high PSI for the weight of my coach also.

Chris G.

F3508s

Westminster, CO

Chris, You will find nearly all tire dealers will inflate to the "sidewall" pressure. You will have to set it after you get home.

Bill

On 5/27/2017 at 8:24 PM, aztec7fan said:

I went through this in february of this year.  Dates on 1 of the tires installed was 4608 and two were 2113.  I went back the next day and insisted on tires manufactured within the last year.  

Although the tire dealers say they work with motorhomes all the time, still check behind them.  This same dealer inflated the tires too high PSI for the weight of my coach also.

Chris G.

F3508s

Westminster, CO

FWIW, you'll not find a tire mfgr. that recommends setting air pressure to less than the federally-mandated tire placard in/on the vehicle. Michelin has extensive load/pressure charts, but within the RV chart, in small print, is the statement to never run less than the federal tire placard air pressure.

10 hours ago, RAYIN said:

FWIW, you'll not find a tire mfgr. that recommends setting air pressure to less than the federally-mandated tire placard in/on the vehicle. Michelin has extensive load/pressure charts, but within the RV chart, in small print, is the statement to never run less than the federal tire placard air pressure.

While I absolutely agree with adding a cushion to the "minimum PSI for a given load", I do take exception to the statement: "No tire mfgr. I'm aware of recommends running less than the federal tire placard in/on the vehicle." You might provide a link to such a statement by a tire manufacturer. Were there such a statement, it would be based on their corporate ATTORNEY, not their engineer!

The inflation PSI on the GVWR plaque is the correct PSI IF, repeat IF you are running axles at their capacity (GAWR).  Your axles may be well under or over that.  Inflate based on the heavier wheel position on each axle, all tires on an axle to have the same PSI based on that heavier wheel position.

16 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

While I absolutely agree with adding a cushion to the "minimum PSI for a given load", I do take exception to the statement: "No tire mfgr. I'm aware of recommends running less than the federal tire placard in/on the vehicle." You might provide a link to such a statement by a tire manufacturer. Were there such a statement, it would be based on their corporate ATTORNEY, not their engineer!

The inflation PSI on the GVWR plaque is the correct PSI IF, repeat IF you are running axles at their capacity (GAWR).  Your axles may be well under or over that.  Inflate based on the heavier wheel position on each axle, all tires on an axle to have the same PSI based on that heavier wheel position.

It doesn't matter if a lawyer or tire engineer made this statement, both are spokesmen of the tire mfgr.

Goodyear's RV tire inflation loading page states:

" Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."

Toyo tire states:

" For inflation pressure recommendations for the original equipment (OE) size, refer to the tire information placard (T.I.P.) or owner’s manual. The T.I.P. is commonly found on the vehicle door jam, glove compartment or near the gas cap".

I have lost the link to Michelin's webpage that stated the same admonition to never run less than the federally-mandated tire information placard.

I have asked anyone who posts they had experienced a "blowout" how they inflated their tires, by load/inflation charts or federal tire placard, none have so stated.

It's a proven fact, the more sidewalls flex the faster heat builds up, heat is the #1 enemy of tires.

14 hours ago, RAYIN said:

It doesn't matter if a lawyer or tire engineer made this statement, both are spokesmen of the tire mfgr.

Goodyear's RV tire inflation loading page states:

" Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."

Toyo tire states:

" For inflation pressure recommendations for the original equipment (OE) size, refer to the tire information placard (T.I.P.) or owner’s manual. The T.I.P. is commonly found on the vehicle door jam, glove compartment or near the gas cap".

I have lost the link to Michelin's webpage that stated the same admonition to never run less than the federally-mandated tire information placard.

I have asked anyone who posts they had experienced a "blowout" how they inflated their tires, by load/inflation charts or federal tire placard, none have so stated.

It's a proven fact, the more sidewalls flex the faster heat builds up, heat is the #1 enemy of tires.

Rayin.  I already answered your post on adjusting tire inflation in the TIRES forum. The information will not change simply by asking the same question in this thread.

For those that want the answer, here is direct quote from Goodyear " Since RVs can be loaded with many different configurations, the load on each tire will vary. For this reason, actual air pressure required should be determined based on the load on each individual tire. Inflation pressure should be adjusted to handle the tire carrying the heaviest load, and all tires on the axle should be adjusted to this standard. "

I think the key part of the GY advice is the warning you are referring to is that you should  inflate to the pressure needed to support the load conditions. The section you pulled that statement from was warning for people that simply lower pressure in an effort to get a better ride. I suggest you re-read ALL the information on the reference GY page.

As I also pointed out in the TIRES thread similar information on how to weigh an RV and adjust tire inflation based on scale numbers is also provided by Michelin and Bridgestone.

FYI true "blowouts" occur when a tire looses most of its air not when it is a few psi low. Being a few psi low can lead to belt separation after many thousands of miles operation.

The federal tire placard numbers are as you know based on the GAWR not the actual loads. If you have loaded your RV to the GAWR then yes you must run the stated inflation

Thank you for verifying Brett and all other knowledgeable people on this subject.  I have no idea where all the argumental, new posters all of a sudden came from!  Please don't make a factual statement, unless it is a provable fact.

We will admit to it, if we are wrong!

Carl  

On 6/23/2017 at 0:47 PM, manholt said:

Thank you for verifying Brett and all other knowledgeable people on this subject.  I have no idea where all the argumental, new posters all of a sudden came from!  Please don't make a factual statement, unless it is a provable fact.

We will admit to it, if we are wrong!

Carl  

If any of the  cut n paste statements I posted are unproven, I apologize; they came directly from Goodyear and Toyo websites in the links I provided so anyone interested can read the full webpage.

Ray,

Not sure those statements are "unproven" or incorrect.  What they are is "legal speak" for CYA by the tire manufacturer.

While they are A WAY to determine the correct tire pressure, even according to the tire manufacturers, determining tire pressure based on load is still THEIR RECOMMENDED METHOD. That is why they have gone to the work of compiling the inflation tables and spending several pages explaining weighing and the correct way to determine correct PSI.

I am holding the glossy hard copy of the Michelin RV Tire guide.  It devotes 5 pages to showing how/why basing PSI on load is recommended.  This in addition to the pages of actual inflation tables.  Were the "legal speak" their recommendation, they could have saved a lot of money on printing these books.

12 hours ago, RAYIN said:

If any of the  cut n paste statements I posted are unproven, I apologize; they came directly from Goodyear and Toyo websites in the links I provided so anyone interested can read the full webpage.

Well yes they do came directly from Goodyear and Toyo websites. However as Brett said You have to read and understand what is being said. You don't get to cut and paste the part that out of context furthers your premise.

That being said, have you weighed your coach, all wheel positions including tag if you have them? What is the GAWR for your front and rear axles? If you haven't you should run the "max" pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire. That is hoping you have the right weight/load range tires on your coach. 

Bill