tireman9

Electronic Toll Collection Information

Question

Have you had problems with Electronic Toll Collection or ETC?

The  Aug FMCA magazine had an article on toll collection in some states. E-ZPass is used in Northeast states. Other states use different systems.

Some folks report problems of no good advance notice on some toll roads that the tolls will be collected by tracing your vehicle license number and mailing you a bill along with a "Service Fee".

You can help your fellow members by posting the requirements on roads you know about.

Please make the first line in the post about the State, Road, and date  For example  Mass, I90, Aug 2017

Then you can add details such as  "Mass TPK is now 100% ETC"  More info at EZDriveMA.com

Hopefully, this thread will become a place to go to find the latest info on ETC for FMCA members.

Thank you in advance for your contribution.

You might as well get use to it and plan ahead because the trend is to do away with cashiers at toll plazas and go with electronic toll collection. Anyone that does any planning will know where the toll roads are. 

I have ben in 14 states in the last 30 days including all of New England. I much prefer the new open lanes where you don't have to stop at a toll booth. 

Bill

Not sure what you are looking for here Tireman.  Many States collect fares based upon your license information and in every case I have had to pay a penalty for taking that route.  Have you come upon a route like this where you did not have to pay more because you were from out-of-State?  I like seeing a toll booth as I know I will only have to pay the going fee but when I travel a road labled "EZ-Pass only" or similar I know I wil get screwed and sometime screwed by 3-4 times the fare as I did not submit payment on time as I don't get my mail forwarded that often and I have gotten 2nd notices without ever having received the 1st notice.

Bill,

I suspect you HAVE identified the thrust of this thread: identifying those roads that do not have toll booths than transiting can come back to really bite your pocket book and in many cases you have no idea of for how much.

I have two transponders:

1 For the northeast area of the country purchased on web from Illinois because they don't have a monthly charge.

2 Southwest also purchased on web from Oklahoma.

I got my first one before traveling to West Springfield from Indiana. Thought I would have a lot of tolls, but only less than $3.00 for one bridge. Both require a deposit and automatically recharge your credit card when the minimum level is reached. They work well and tolls are a little less. The convenience is the best benefit. 

There is a US DOT requirement that all ETC systems have to be able to recognize ALL ETC transponders by a future date (but the exact date escapes my senior brain, at the moment).

3 hours ago, thestoloffs said:

There is a US DOT requirement that all ETC systems have to be able to recognize ALL ETC transponders by a future date (but the exact date escapes my senior brain, at the moment).

It was suppose to go into effect last year.:rolleyes: Hearer is a link to testimony on the problem.

https://www.ibtta.org/sites/default/files/documents/Interoperability/IBTTA--Testimony on Toll Interoperability 2015 9 30 FINAL.pdf

Hear is another  link.

http://www.tollinterop.org/

Bill A, and Brett, it is pretty simple to get a transponder and set up an account that is re filled to a set level when it is depleted. This also gives you the ability to go on line and review any tolls and possibly protest any improper ones. Or you can be at the mercy of the  mail and your mail forwarding service. 

I have 2 E-ZPass transponders. The one for the toad is stored in a shielded envelope when it is behind the coach. When in tow the toad is charged at a lesser amount (same as a trailer). I have a TXTag that is good in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I don't get the discount with the TX Tag so I have stickers in both the coach and car.

Bill

22 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Not sure what you are looking for here Tireman.  Many States collect fares based upon your license information and in every case I have had to pay a penalty for taking that route.  Have you come upon a route like this where you did not have to pay more because you were from out-of-State?  I like seeing a toll booth as I know I will only have to pay the going fee but when I travel a road labled "EZ-Pass only" or similar I know I wil get screwed and sometime screwed by 3-4 times the fare as I did not submit payment on time as I don't get my mail forwarded that often and I have gotten 2nd notices without ever having received the 1st notice.

My goal was to try and help fellow FMCA members have a single place to go ( this forum thread)  to get the latest info on what toll roads were 100% electronic. I know that Massachusetts Turnpike (I90) is as are two tunnels and a bridge near Boston.

I believe there are some roads in TX that are "cashless" but do not know which. There may be other roads that are also "cashless" as I have heard a report on IL and IN but do not know for sure.

I am hoping that those members who know the facts will post the information.

3 hours ago, rossboyer said:

The Southwest pass I purchased from Oklahoma does not include Texas. Texas is to be added, but I don't know when. 

Interesting as the TX Tag works in Ok. Just used it about 20 days ago.

Bill

Ross, 

Texas Toll Tags and the Oklahoma Pike Pass have a reciprocal agreement.  Oklahoma has the same with Kansas but it doesn't carry over with Texas. I had both a Toll Tag and Pike Pass before the agreement between the two. I have a Toll Tag on both the coach and my truck now.

Herman 

9 hours ago, huffypuff said:

I use avoid tolls button on the GPS, problem solved. 

Well that may work some places but in the east if you want to get some place the bestway is on the toll road. For example crossing NY State on I-90 (The Mass Pike) It will take much less time and less fuel than driving on State 20 or 5. or any outher local road. The only way to get across without many tolls is on I- 86 and I-80 But this is a southern route. Many attractions are of I-90. You can do it but I bet it will take at least anouther day and tank of fuel. New England is even worse.

Bill

Tireman, I can tell you that ALL of the toll roads in the Houston, TX area are cashless and you are not allowed to use them without a transponder.  They don't do the tag toll by mail.  You are simply not allowed to use them.

Interesting thought about the transponder on my car, however.  We are leaving MI for NJ today and the transponder on my car is a tiny "chip" attached to the windshield and can't be covered up or put away.  We are going to go through a lot of tolls getting from here to there so I hope there is not something that will end up getting the charged as we travel along as well.  Yikes!

I have the EZ tag for coach and toad...Linda has TX tag.  Hers work in OK, mine don't.  Mine work in KY, hers don't, she got a $7 in mail and made the payment to Austin, TX. :wacko:

TX.  Westpark toll rd. 100% electronic, I-130 Toll, 100% electronic, Hwy 99 toll, 100% electronic.

BillA.  Beltway 8 is mostly toll with both electronic and cash lanes.  I-10 HOV and I-45 HOV is 100% electronic!  Hwy. 288 Toll is 100% electronic to Pearland, Hardy toll road is a mix bag.

19 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Well that may work some places but in the east if you want to get some place the bestway is on the toll road. For example crossing NY State on I-90 (The Mass Pike) It will take much less time and less fuel than driving on State 20 or 5. or any outher local road. The only way to get across without many tolls is on I- 86 and I-80 But this is a southern route. Many attractions are of I-90. You can do it but I bet it will take at least anouther day and tank of fuel. New England is even worse.

Bill

I have driven from the west coast to the east coast paying no tolls with the route slightly longer and little extra time.  By having the avoid tolls button checked I had saved thousands in the last ten years.  Try pulling your toad over Key Bridge in MD and it will cost you big time.  Motorhomes are not allowed thru the tunnels there if it carries propane.  That was a mess to save time now we take 695 and save $45.  The politicians are pushing pay by mile to fight back.  When that comes, I hope I don't have to drive anymore.  

13 hours ago, manholt said:

BillA.  Beltway 8 is mostly toll with both electronic and cash lanes.  I-10 HOV and I-45 HOV is 100% electronic!  Hwy. 288 Toll is 100% electronic to Pearland, Hardy toll road is a mix bag.

When were you last on the Hardy?  They recently removed all toll booths between Houston and Woodlands.  I did forget that there are "parts" of Beltway 8 that have toll booths but if you head East of the 59/69 it also goes to EZ only.

So the way I read this discussion is that there is mass confusion in the toll system in this country.  I really appreciate the links that Wildebill posted.  The map on the Alliance for Toll Interoperability page alone is worth a thousand words. 

This is just one of the challenges those of us who refuse to be stationary in a single place face.  I'm just thankful that we don't have to show our passport to leave Texas, though that would be the case if some (expletive omitted) Texans had their way.  How many laws vary from state to state in a way that tends to create individual kingdoms within our country.  The road system is a national system, a national treasure, that should be administered as a national system.  I feel the same way about a whole bunch of state laws that vary considerably from state to state.  That may have made sense in 1900 when very few people traveled beyond their own state but this is 2017, most people can get in their car and travel to another state in an hour or two.  Full timers are always at home and usually never in their home state.  When you go full time in an RV, you have to constantly adjust to varying state laws and state based systems like health care.  It is all so archaic. 

I hate tolls.  Like Bill (the huffypuff Bill), I have my GPS set to avoid toll roads.  Louise insists that I not express my feelings when we pass through the inevitable toll booth.  So I smile and shake my head and hand over the money.  Nothing irritates me more than any road that starts with I as in I-xx having tolls.  Nothing says welcome to "our state" better than a toll road.  But in the case of the interstate system, the roads are heavily funded by the federal government.  If elected, I will forbid tolls on all federal roads. 

That said, I'm boycotting toll roads when possible.  The northeast is most difficult and I surrender on I-95, my dentist will fix my teeth.  If toll roads are inevitable, we should have a unified payment system.  This mix and match map is just crazy.  If getting a unified system is not possible with the established groups, then the government should federalize the entire system.  That's right, I'm saying take it out of private hands and make it a federal program.  This is the United States of America. 

Tom.  Nice thought, but good luck with that ! :P  Outside of Texas, I try to shy away from Toll Roads....I'm out there to see the countryside and enjoy the journey, from point A to B and if it takes me to C, D, before B, so be it....if I want a fast, direct way...I'll fly! :)  I don't understand, when I read comments about an extra day and a tank full of fuel on the NE Coast...have the States gotten bigger or are you just getting 3.5 miles to the gallon?  Besides, if you can't see it all, this summer, then return next year.

I am having no fun at all heading from MI to NJ.  The tolls on I-80/90/76 are over $100 so far and the segment of the PA Turnpike from the PA border to our overnight stop in Bedford, PA was $47.00.  At least my Company will re-reimburse me but this is just stupid.  Doesn't the "I" stand for Interstate and receive Federal funding?  Why am I being charged tolls?  I could have avoided most of the tolls but it would have added over an hour and a half to the drive and many more miles so there is a cost there as well.

Bill A, welcome to PA!

Our coach has EZ pass, so does the toad, while in tow the Toad EZ pass goes in its wrapper and into the glove box, while in tow its considered a trailer, axle count applies for charges. Here is where it gets sticky.

The coach weight determines what Pass you need, an "RV" EZ pass is only good to 14,000 lbs, when you cross the toll booth scale if you are over that often it will not register you are equipped, if the booth has a gate (NJ is famous for these) it will not open, found this out the hard way.

When you have a coach over 14,000 lbs you need a commercial transponder, this also means you need a separate account, (personal accounts cannot have a commercial transponder on it) then you have to select the transponder for the weight and amount of axles, in our case 2 axles on the coach and 2 axles on the toad, if no toad behind us I still have to pay for 4 axles!

We try to avoid toll roads when possible, out here on the east coast its not always that easy. The part that aggravates me besides the cost, the toll roads are often in the worse condition. In MD we run the tunnels, no propane now, the last coach didn't have enough to matter.

The toll lanes in MD are labeled over 5 Ton lanes, don't know why they are often the narrower lanes, pulled up with the last coach, it wouldn't register (we were right at the 14,000 lb mark) the lady asked for the money, I explained we had EZ Pass, she replies it didn't register (real sassy attitude that didn't sit well with me), I pulled it off the windshield and handed it to her, asked her to scan the bar code to charge it, she replied we don't have that technology and I had to pay in cash, I responded apparently you don't have the technology to read it either as I approached, knowing it would charge the license plate also I told her NO, she explained the police would chase me down if I proceed and there was an officer sitting just beyond the booth, my response you better call over to him, I'm out of here, have a nice day! I drove off, he never looked my way even when the alarm went off.

BillA.  I don't see where your going to burn $147 or even close to $47 in 90 minutes!

Joe.  That's the main reason I shun toll roads outside of Texas!  The only "Free" thing I got from the Feds, was a hair cut (if you can call bald a hc) and a set of green clothing with ill fitting booths! :angry:

Just went on line yesterday and found out that the Texas Toll Tag (NTTA) is now recognized in all of Kansas toll roads. Before it was just with the Houston Tex Tag and the Oklahoma Pike Pass. Ho ray, I can now stay in the Kansas Turnpike to Wichita. :D

Herman

I

3 hours ago, manholt said:

BillA.  I don't see where your going to burn $147 or even close to $47 in 90 minutes!

Joe.  That's the main reason I shun toll roads outside of Texas!  The only "Free" thing I got from the Feds, was a hair cut (if you can call bald a hc) and a set of green clothing with ill fitting booths! :angry:

I just said that there was a cost to the additional miles.  Never said it paid for itself.  The final total in tolls from MI to NJ came in just shy of $200.  While that totally sucks, I get reimbursed so it costs me nothing and I get reimbursed based upon miles driven.  The company has to balance the lesser miles with the cost of tolls and the value of time.  For me, time is of the essence so it really wouldn't matter what the costs are.  The company just wants me where they want me as soon as I can get there.